Clear all

Gibson Mesa Boogie amps

73 Posts
9 Users
12 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Speaking of used gear. I was looking on the local craigslist here in the Indy area and came across the Warwick Bootsy Collins SpaceBass. Interesting find!!

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/d/indianapolis-warwick-bootsy-collins/7423152608.html

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : December 21, 2021 11:19 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Also ran across this on Craiglist . I remember hearing  about this make a few years ago. Looks like high end, out of my price point.

Asking 2500.00 used.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/d/new-carlisle-knaggs-choptank-t3/7419460840.html

From Knaggs guitars:

https://www.knaggsguitars.com/about-us/

Knaggs Guitars was founded in 2009 by World renowned designer and Luthier Joe Knaggs and Marketer Peter Wolf

All designs/creations except Artist Signature models are named after Native Indian river names in North-America

Wood & Materials are carefully selected and processes are state-of the art. A skilled team of experienced senior guitar builders are making sure the end result is as good as it can possibly be: creating the finest instruments and providing the best tools for players and guitar aficionados.

Everyone at Knaggs guitars is a highly skilled professional – together we have over 150 years of experience in creating extraordinary instruments.

We look forward to building one for you!

Posted : December 21, 2021 11:28 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk I like Gretsch guitars. Chet Atkins played them for years and so did the Stray Cats guy and many rockabilly and be bop rock players. Don't see many used now. Well not at all in recent years. 

Here is Warren Haynes' favorite player Jeff Beck with his Gretsch. Beck bought a couple out of his love for Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps

I got to mess around with one once. Looked similar to a Les Paul but was twangy similar to a Tele I thought. Well with that particular Gretsch. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : December 21, 2021 11:29 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Hey all you guys. Thank you for all the great advice and wonderful links. 

If you guys haven't seen this be sure to watch it. It's so interesting to see a famous guitarist go over some of his favorite instruments. 

Posted : December 21, 2021 11:51 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

Here is one from Japan that is supposedly the first  prototype for the Gibson Duane Allman signature model. Click on the top listing for the $45K LP to check it out

Crazy price but I guess it is a collectors item so some rich collector fan may bite.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Gibson+Les+Paul+Duane+Allman&_sacat=0

The Japanese guitar market is super inflated due to the huge amount of collectors of American guitars there. There's a huge fascination with Americana in Japan - everything from jazz and bourbon to Elvis and cheeseburgers - and that definitely includes guitars. I doubt that guitar could sell for that much outside of Japan.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 21, 2021 2:16 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@jszfunk Never played a Gretsch but one of my favorite guitarists, Billy Duffy of the Cult, plays one on some of their songs.

He favors a White Falcon which has a bit more sparkle than the Les Paul he usually plays. I love the mans tone.

Gretsch even created a Billy Duffy signature model

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/hollow-body/g7593t-billy-duffy-signature-falcon-hollow-body-with-bigsby/2401409805

Posted : December 21, 2021 4:35 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob My memory is getting faulty lately but I'm pretty sure the Les Paul Dickey played on At Fillmore East is the Les Paul Dickey gave Dan Toler in 1978. Dan played it with the Allman Brothers. 1978 to 1982 and Gregg's band all through the 80's. 

Anyway the Les Paul Dickey gave Danny, Danny sold to a Japanese collector a few years before his death. Guess he needed the money and Danny did mention he didn't use it anymore but I was some disappointed because it was a GIFT. But I'm pretty sure the selling point was it's connection to Fillmore East. 

Posted : December 21, 2021 8:36 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham That guitar has a nice tone. I dig it. I've never listened to the Cult before. I'm not sure I've heard of them but I do now. 

Sleepwalk was a huge instrumental for Santo and Johnny in the early 60's. I think they used a pedal steel guitar. But it's one of those pretty songs and Beck does it real good. Notice the slide played with the right hand at the very end. BTW I saw the original ABB 1970 and 1971 several times and Duane held his slide with his right hand for the bird chirps. 

Posted : December 21, 2021 8:42 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Interesting article on Tom Murphy aged Gibson Les Paul's

https://guitar.com/review/electric-guitar/the-big-review-gibson-murphy-lab-les-paul/

Posted : December 21, 2021 9:30 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk If you will excuse the pun.....that bass is far out!!!

Posted : December 22, 2021 7:57 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Bill thank you. That is very interesting. Les Paul is and has been my favorite electric guitar for decades. Ever since I saw Duane Allman in 1970. 

I had one when I was younger but it and a Yamaha acoustic were stolen as was my stereo system when my house was robbed in the day while I was working. My TV was in the middle of the living room with the electric cord wrapped but they left it for some reason. Police never solved it. 

Duane Betts number one of three guitars he takes on tour is an aged Goldtop Dickey Betts Signature Dickey received in 2001. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/B9trjCX6Z8JEj4mP9  

Posted : December 22, 2021 8:11 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

@jszfunk Never played a Gretsch but one of my favorite guitarists, Billy Duffy of the Cult, plays one on some of their songs.

He favors a White Falcon which has a bit more sparkle than the Les Paul he usually plays. I love the mans tone.

Gretsch even created a Billy Duffy signature model

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/hollow-body/g7593t-billy-duffy-signature-falcon-hollow-body-with-bigsby/2401409805

Good post!! Billy Duffy is very underrated. Always enjoy what he brings to the table.

Gretsch  I think has been known more in the past as a Rockabilly type instrument. Taylored to that style. But there are also some other "rockers" who use that brand.

Stills has for years...

Posted : December 22, 2021 11:34 am
Bill_Graham reacted
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Noble Member

I'll be waiting to see what they come out with. Gibson amps were low wattage with little clean headroom. The Mesa Boogie was probably the first boutique amp that came out. I even Boogieized a BF Fender Twin in app 1984 or so.....LOUD!!! LOL...I've never played through either a Mesa or a Marshall. Marshall amps original circuit was based on the Fender 59 bassman but with el34 tubes instead of 6L6's as the power tubes with 3 12AX7 preamp tubes. Bassman had 2 12AX7 and a 12AY7 in the preamp. The bassman also used 4 Jensen P10R and later 4 P10Q speakers during he tweed years. Marshall's are all about Celestions.

Love Gretch guitars. I'd love to have a White Falcon...Of course the most selling guitars and amps will be the cheapest...A quality Marshall amp isn't cheap along with the cabinet. I was always a BF fender guy but now I'm into Tweeds and have Fender 59 Twin 40watt reissue and 2 Lil Dawg 5F4 Super circuit tweeds. One with 2 12's and one with 1 12...I love amps...my go-to for 30+ years was a 40 watt BF Fender Pro Reverb...AKA the baby twin. Awesome amp with beautiful cleans and reverb and a platform for whatever boxes you like to put in front of it. BF Pro Reverb->Tube screamer is a pillow of creamy distortion...my Les Paul has a woody right now...They also have vibrato and the step box for it and the reverb

OK I'll be interested in what Gibson/Mesa come up with

Posted : December 22, 2021 4:02 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Also why Fender amps sell so well is they start with such nice cleans so a guitarist can add whatever pedals they want. Marshall amps can be clean, but it's just a specific British tone that isn't as versatile so they don't appeal to as many players.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 22, 2021 4:23 pm
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Noble Member

Posted by: @porkchopbob

Also why Fender amps sell so well is they start with such nice cleans so a guitarist can add whatever pedals they want. Marshall amps can be clean, but it's just a specific British tone that isn't as versatile so they don't appeal to as many players.

The smaller amps...champ, princeton upto the deluxe I've always felt work great with single coil PU's in the strat and telecaster unless you like no headroom at all...I found the Pro to be the first to give my Les Paul some clean headroom...I found that humbuckers just soak those little fender amps right as soon as you get volume...and most BF amps that's usually 2.5-3 on the volume knob then it's just more soak after that...

Vox and Marshall are definitely a more brittle sound...aka the British sound

Posted : December 22, 2021 5:56 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Nice interview with Billy Duffy

https://www.musicradar.com/news/billy-duffy-the-cult-gibson-guitars

A White Falcon Junior

https://www.musicradar.com/news/billy-duffy-gretsch-falcon

Posted : December 24, 2021 8:12 pm
CanadianMule
(@canadianmule)
Noble Member

You are surprised that $400 guitars sell more than $2000 ones? Seems obvious to me.

The same can be said in virtually every industry.

Honda Civics out sell Ferrari too. 

Posted : December 26, 2021 8:53 am
meandean
(@meandean)
Estimable Member

I haven’t read every post in this thread, but it seems to have gone off topic. I have only owned Fender, Marshalls, and a Soldano Lucky 13 as far as amps go. I sold a Marshall JCM 800 years ago because it just didn’t sound consistent to me. One day the tone was killer, the next it was hot garbage. I recently sold a Fender Blues DeVille because I knew I would never play it again. I still own an early 70’s Fender Silverface Twin Reverb, a Soldano Lucky 13, and a Marshall Bluesbreaker. IMO, the Fender lacks the midrange I want and the Soldano lacks the low end I want while playing Strats. The Marshall Bluesbreaker, which I picked up 2 years ago, gives me exactly what I want. I’m surprised more people don’t use them. I know Robin Trower does for recording purposes and Rich Robinson had 1 in his chain of amps on their last tour, but not many other big names using them. I considered buying a Mesa Boogie Lonestar after seeing Leo Nocentelli use one regularly, but went with the Bluesbreaker. I’m glad I did because I have since heard that a lot of amp techs are not keen on working on Mesa Boogie amps. Not sure what the reason is, but glad I chose the amp I did. 

Posted : December 26, 2021 5:00 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@meandean yeah we veered off topic but I am enjoying the gear talk.

Not that many active posters on the forum anymore so if it keeps the conversation going I am OK with OT gear discussions.

In addition to my Gibson GA5 reissue I also have an original 1975 Fender Deluxe Reverb which sounds great in my limited experience.

I would love a Marshall Bluesbreaker or a 1974X but since I just hack around at home on my Les Paul or ESP 1987 Mirage Custom lawsuit guitar I can't justify the investment.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : December 26, 2021 5:17 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

@meandean yeah we veered off topic but I am enjoying the gear talk.

Not that many active posters on the forum anymore so if it keeps the conversation going I am OK with OT gear discussions.

In addition to my Gibson GA5 reissue I also have an original 1975 Fender Deluxe Reverb which sounds great in my limited experience.

I would love a Marshall Bluesbreaker or a 1974X but since I just hack around at home on my Les Paul or ESP 1987 Mirage Custom lawsuit guitar I can't justify the investment.

Me too!! Love the gear talk.Not sure if the powers that be would start a section dedicated to that on here. I thought there was one on the old site.

I dont have a lot(gear), and the stuff I have is probably kinda pedestrian/low end compared to you all but always looking, reading magazines and watching demos on line. 

Not familiar with the Marshall Blues Breaker. I found this online(below) at  Sweetwater if this is what you guys are talking about. I probably should give them another try. I have played through a couple in my life, but did not do anything for me. Just a personal preference and also price point. Maybe I try again and my ears might hear it differently.

It was mentioned that Rich Robinson uses a Marshall Blues Breaker. I know at one time he used Harry Joyce amps.

Speaking of demos on line. I am not a drummer , but I always enjoying watching people talk on the internet about kits,technics and etc.

The one below Jeff Porcaro talks about how he came up with the Rosanna shuffle.

John Bonham isolated Fool In The Rain

Billy Duffy playing a Gretsch

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1962--marshall-1962-bluesbreaker-30-watt-2x12-inch-tube-combo-amp

Posted : December 27, 2021 9:15 am
Bill_Graham reacted
njpaulc
(@njpaulc)
Trusted Member

Their cost in relation to their size keep them from being popular.  30 Watts is low output, and a lot of pro bands play through the PA now.  The Bluesbreaker is patterned after the amp Clapton used on the Beano album. 

I've used a silver faced Fender Twin and a Black faced Bandmaster, but my favorite amp was my Ampeg Reverb-a-Rocket.  Only 18 or so watts, 1 channel, ungrounded, no standbye or polarity switch, but a great sound.

Posted : December 27, 2021 10:12 am
Bill_Graham reacted
meandean
(@meandean)
Estimable Member

@jszfunk, yes, that is the Bluesbreaker amp I picked up on Reverb 2 years ago. A new one is going to set you back a bit at $3600, but I found one that was only a few years old for $1750. Rich Robinson used nothing but combo amps on their last tour. I remember seeing the Bluesbreaker and a Vox among others. I have seen a picture of Trower on stage using 2 Bluesbreakers with a 50 watt half stack in between them. I was concerned that 30 watts might not cut it on stage, but the Bluesbreaker is plenty loud. Only gigged with it one time right before Covid hit, but it proved itself. Only live playing I’ve done lately has been sitting in with buddies band where an amp is already provided. I’m itching to crank that Bluesbreaker again, but now my wife is permanently working from home, so my opportunities are limited.  

Posted : December 27, 2021 10:16 am
Bill_Graham reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @njpaulc

but my favorite amp was my Ampeg Reverb-a-Rocket.  Only 18 or so watts, 1 channel, ungrounded, no standbye or polarity switch, but a great sound.

Great call on the Reverberocket. I had an opportunity to play and buy the Ampeg Reverberocket 50-Watt Guitar Amp Head and stack a few years ago, but was n ot meant to be. I still keep a look out for those. Great amp and really roars. I played through a combo also. Did not know they made a lower wattage amp. That would be interesting to hear. You mentioned the Bandmaster. I have played through a head before and I think the Showman also.

Posted : December 27, 2021 12:22 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Check out the clips of playing through these Marshall amps

The Bluesbreaker uses 2-5881 power tubes which are similar to 6L6 tubes used in the higher power Fender amps instead of the European EL34 tubes used in the later high power Marshall head units

Early Marshall's were copies of the Fender Bassman circuit using parts available in England at the time. 

https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/vintage-reissues/1962-bluesbreaker?q=Bluesbreaker

This amp looks like a Bluesbreaker but is an 18W EL84 power tube amp

https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/handwired/1974x?q=1974x

NOS tubes are scarce and not cheap but they sound better and last longer than the newer Russian and Chinese versions  IMHO so in the long run if you play your amps a lot they actually can end up being cheaper due to longevity.

I have bought tubes from this vendor in the past for my Fender Deluxe Reverb and he has the real NOS tubes not pulls like some vendors. They sound much better than the modern tubes that I tried in my Deluxe Reverb.

https://www.hitestguitars.com/power-tubes.htm

This amp builder makes very well thought of Marshall clones. Check out the Tonequest Report article he links on his website. The guy really knows Marshall amps.  Interesting read if you are interested in the details of their construction.

https://www.germinoamplification.com/lead-55

This post was modified 2 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : December 27, 2021 3:16 pm
meandean
(@meandean)
Estimable Member

These aren’t the greatest recordings - just using my good old iPhone 7, but hopefully you can hear the “clean” overdriven tones of the Bluesbreaker. One video is using a Fulltone OCD and the other has the OCD and and Octafuzz on. Also using a J. Rockett Boing since the amp has no reverb. First and only amp I’ve ever owned without a reverb tank. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/a7TClH6nJyM?feature=share

Posted : December 27, 2021 5:20 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@meandean I think I hear what you mean. Good sounding amp. 

Nice licks, vibrato and whammy on the electric guitar too. 

Posted : December 27, 2021 6:31 pm
CanadianMule
(@canadianmule)
Noble Member

For those seeking high end amps but without the cash to buy them, go the Plugin route. Absolutely insane sounds and capabilities for relatively low investment. 

For instance, Amplitube 5 has two Fender Collections with over 20 different Fender amps. Sounds are incredible. Use them in the studio, live and in any setting. Even the biggest skeptics will spend hours trying to find faults and in the end...say "Damn this sounds so good."

Fender Collection 2 with Greg Koch - YouTube

Posted : December 28, 2021 7:41 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

On the local Craigslist the other day and ran across a used  Supro Blues King 12. Pulled up a couple demos, sounds pretty nice! Just wished they would have plugged in a LP though.

Posted : December 29, 2021 8:38 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

This is from Andertons a few years ago.

Best Small & Affordable Valve Guitar Amp Shootout - Updated for 2019

Posted : December 29, 2021 8:42 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member