I Hear a Lot of Derek in this guy.

cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
A Peach Supreme

Topic starter Posted : December 16, 2021 11:08 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
A Peach Supreme

Derek definitely has to be an influence on this guy. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 16, 2021 11:12 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@cmgst34 He is Welch and well known in the U.K. He is 28 and he is mostly a Strat and Tele man ( that's different than Derek) but has a Yamaha and Les Paul he uses on a few things. 

His influences are Eric Clapton, SRV, Mike Campbell, Linsey Buckingham and Slash. 

Nothing in the interview I just read about Derek but his style without a slide and pick favors Derek to me more than his claimed influences. I'd love to mention Derek to him to see what he says.  

Clapton song but not Clapton's style to me. 

This post was modified 5 months ago by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2021 9:42 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Well I guess he is as good as Eric Clapton and Derek Trucks. Just not as famous and Derek is not as famous as Clapton. I'm a Derek fan and run into people my age and younger who love rock and blues and some don't know Derek Trucks but everybody knows Clapton for some reason. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2021 9:56 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
A Peach Supreme

It’s the single-string runs he does. Either it’s Derek-influenced, or Derek has come to so much define single-string runs in my mind that anytime I hear one it reminds me of Derek. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 19, 2021 10:12 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@cmgst34 Yes I agree. Derek's style is so clear to me too in his playing. When I checked him out (never heard of him until this thread), I would have bet the store his biggest influence would be Derek. But he didn't mention Derek at all. Clapton, SRV, Slash, Mike Campbell and Linsey Buckingham. I don't hear any of those players in his style. Just Derek. 

He is from Wales in the UK. I'm still willing to bet if you could ask him about Derek, he would say he has listened to him. 

This link posted above is so Derek Trucks on the first one with the Les Paul. And the Strat on the second one. He is real good. He is about as good as anyone famous. 

This post was modified 5 months ago by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2021 7:19 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

I've listened to 10 solos now from Chris Buck and he is EXCELLENT. Right now he is as good as any guitar player I've ever heard. Probably will be very popular in the coming months. This pandemic has to be over first. 

But man can Chris play an electric guitar! Melodic, Intense, Soft like a lullaby, great tone on different types of axes. I'm very impressed. Thanks for turning me on to him. I'm very surprised. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2021 7:40 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 7, 2022 7:12 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@jszfunk That is some intense and emotional guitar playing from Chris Buck!! 

Here he is in a small club in Scotland. Go over to the 4:00 mark and Chris launches a solo that is coming from way down deep inside his soul. He is connected to his instrument emotionally the way Duane Allman could click. 

Just watched this again and the female vocalist and keyboard player REMINDS ME OF SUSAN! Voice that is. Guess Chris Buck sounds more like Richie Blackmore or Robin Trower here than Derek. 

But it is a POWERFUL solo DRIPPING with intense emotion. 

This post was modified 4 months ago 2 times by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 7, 2022 9:55 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

More great guitar playing from Chris Buck. Chris indeed is one of the absolute best guitarists out there today. I'm enjoying discovering just how good he is. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2022 9:49 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Fantastic chops, tone and innovative playing. This is really good. Chris Buck is one of the best and nobody outside of Glasgow, Scotland apparently  knows who he is. This is impressive. 

This post was modified 4 months ago by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2022 9:58 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Here is Chris Buck doing a solo in this song that sounds so much like Derek Trucks without a slide. About half way through he goes wild and I'm not sure who it sounds like then other than Chris Buck. 

Chris Buck is a very TOP SHELF player. And the girl reminds me of Susan. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2022 10:11 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Nobody is saying much about Chris. Maybe he isn't as good as I think he is. I'm 75 now and beginning to put my underwear on backwards and different color socks so maybe Chris is just average. 

Chris has been getting mail telling him is latest guitar purchase, a Gibson Les Paul, is FAKE! Real nice playing at the beginning. Doesn't sound fake to me. Good sounding LP.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 8:52 am
Jarwolfs
(@jarwolfs)
Peach Bud

Never heard of him before, but I like what I saw, but he reminds me way more of John Mayer than Derek.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 12:34 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@jarwolfs That is a good point. John Mayer is a fine player. Has a new line of guitars by PRS. Headstock is classic PRS but the body is like a Stratocaster. I imagine the stuff inside is different than a typical Strat. They have three Strats right now at the big music store here without single coils. Fender is putting a variety of pickups and electronics for those who ask for it. Jimmy Herring has a custom built Strat with just two pickups, both humbuckers. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 1:56 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Well here is Chris's latest. Playing a Yamaha with echo plex.

Just incredible tone and playing to me. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 10:58 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Chris with another nice solo that I guess is somewhat like Derek when he is not playing slide. 

I've heard enough of Chris now where it seems I've heard all of his licks. But I still like him. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2022 8:27 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @robertdee

@jarwolfs That is a good point. John Mayer is a fine player. Has a new line of guitars by PRS. Headstock is classic PRS but the body is like a Stratocaster. I imagine the stuff inside is different than a typical Strat. They have three Strats right now at the big music store here without single coils. Fender is putting a variety of pickups and electronics for those who ask for it. Jimmy Herring has a custom built Strat with just two pickups, both humbuckers. 

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2022 11:25 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@jszfunk Thank you. I like the purple 🟣 one in the background. I will listen carefully. These seem to have single coils and I've read they are selling well. Obviously the guitar was designed with John Mayer to be an improvement of the Stratocaster. There are three Strats by Fender in the big music store here right now which don't have single coils. One doesn't have a whammy bar. And one that has two but a humbucker at the bridge position. 

Not sure if this is an improvement of the Fender made guitar because now there is a big variety of configurations from Fender. 

The Fender Stratocaster has sold over 3 million guitars and is the best seller according to the guy here. And Gibson's best seller, the SG, is a guitar Gibson seems to not promote as much as the LP and ES-335 according to the guy at this store. They actually seem to push Epiphone versions of LP and ES-335 more than the SG. 

He said as well already know Gibson developed btge SG as an improved Les Paul. But Mr Les Paul didn't like it and wanted his name removed. 

The classic Les Paul design is the prettiest guitar to me. But some professional players don't like how the controls are placed and the single cutaway. But as Gary Moore said " If you just want the basics for a good sound, plug a good Les Paul into some Marshalls and turn it up".

His is Chris Buck on the SG!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2022 11:47 am
Share: