The Allman Brothers Band
The Gatlinburg Tape...

Notifications
Clear all

The Gatlinburg Tapes (newly transferred from what is possibly the master cassette)

14 Posts
11 Users
13 Likes
andyvannoy
(@andyvannoy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Here's a link to my transfer of what is possibly the original Gatlinburg cassette. It is lossless and complete with a tape story and photos of the cassette. This transfer is like hearing the Gatlinburg tapes for the first time.

Hope you guys enjoy,

Andy

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1jsDFjnBcitTlSuBqNsSZgG52f8y3yURX

Posted : December 16, 2021 1:11 pm
Randall, bobkaufman, Bill_Graham and 1 people reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Thanks Andy! Great sounding tape considering when it was made and the equipment used. Wonder how he taped it, equipment and mic, as it is so clear with no distortion.

Enjoyed reading the story about the tape. You purchased the tape for $250? That has to be the deal of the century!

Posted : December 16, 2021 4:23 pm
salcapitano reacted
PMannix
(@pmannix)
Eminent Member

Very cool and thank you for sharing.  Gerry Groom played later  on an album with Mick Taylor called Once In A Blue Moon. And the drummer on the album was none other than Matt Abts. The album was recorded in 1991.  Sadly, Gerry passed away in a scuba diving accident \in the Virgin Islands the next year, according to the album liner notes.  sounds like he led an interesting life!

Posted : December 16, 2021 7:03 pm
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Thank you for sharing this gift with us. It's always great to get to hear Duane and the boys just picking away and making amazing music. The sound and quality are so much finer than I've heard before. 

I know The Brothers would be looking down and thanking you for sharing a part of their musical life. What it would have been to be a fly on the wall that day?

Happy Holidays!

Posted : December 17, 2021 11:13 am
andyvannoy reacted
bobkaufman
(@bobkaufman)
Trusted Member

Thank you so much for sharing this.  The sound is so much better then the one I have had for years.  Really enjoyed this!

Posted : December 17, 2021 2:34 pm
andyvannoy reacted
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

thank you!

This will make excellent listening during the snow storm tomorrow

Posted : December 17, 2021 9:29 pm
andyvannoy reacted
salcapitano
(@salcapitano)
Estimable Member

Way to go Andy.

Posted : December 17, 2021 10:32 pm
andyvannoy reacted
ABBDutchFan
(@abbdutchfan)
Noble Member

Andy, thanks a million! Great job! Very kind of you for sharing these historic recordings in better sound quality! Kudos! Merry Christmas and stay healthy!

Posted : December 18, 2021 6:15 am
andyvannoy reacted
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member

Thanks @andyvannoy 

Is this the same version that was on your YouTube channel which you had to take down a couple of months ago or an improved version?

Posted : December 18, 2021 4:20 pm
andyvannoy
(@andyvannoy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

@crosseyedcat much improved. That one was from an early generation cassette. This one is from the original

Posted : December 18, 2021 8:16 pm
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

This is excellent! Thank you!

Posted : December 20, 2021 8:02 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Wouldn't it have been great if Duane did an acoustic, delta blues album?

Posted : December 22, 2021 4:40 pm
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

@stormyrider yes for sure with little brother on guitar and vocals. The Allman Brothers. My oh my.

Posted : December 22, 2021 7:23 pm
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member

@andyvannoy 

Did you check to see if Richard Price had anything else hidden away? Possibly Second Coming or the early Jams?

Posted : December 23, 2021 7:32 am
Share: