Gibson Mesa Boogie amps

73 Posts
9 Users
12 Likes
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I did not know Gibson had purchased Mesa Boogie amps earlier this year.

Interesting that Boogie founder, Randall Smith will be developing a new line of amps under the Gibson name.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/news/mesaboogies-randall-smith-is-developing-a-new-line-of-gibson-amplifiers

Impressive list of musicians using Boogie amps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mesa_Boogie_users

I have never tried a Boogie amp so any thoughts on a Gibson Boogie  amp?

This topic was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : December 18, 2021 2:18 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

This will be interesting. I have stayed away from Mesa for just some personal reasons. They are a nice product, but out of my price point and a some of the models are real busy for my tastes. I don't need tons of knobs and switches. I have played through a Mess years ago, I think it was the F series. Real fine amp, but to expensive. 

Gibson had a Gold Tone series some years ago that I really liked, head and combo versions at different watts and control configurations. I would take the GT over the Mesa. If anyone has the chance plug into one of those. 

I just hope they do it justice under the Gibson name.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : December 19, 2021 10:33 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk  I'm not an amp expert but Gibson needs a strong, good selling amp. Gibson is a premium top name in guitars and Gibson a top guitar brand in the 60's and 70's but the amp that was regarded as the best by many top well known players was Marshall. Fender also had a well liked line of amps then. I'm not sure which amp manufacturer is the top one today but Gibson certainly needs to be in the top 5. 

Today according to the big music store here the best selling acoustic guitars are Taylor and Martin. The top electrics are Tele, Strat, Les Paul and SG. With Ibanez and Jackson favored by players more into metal and hard rock. I'm going down there Monday. I'll ask which amp manufacturers are the best sellers. 

I'm thinking about trading in my SG and old Strat for a new Epiphone Les Paul. It's expensive but not as expensive as the GIBSON Les Paul. 

I thought my old used Strat had two single coils wired together in n the bridge position but they said it's one pickup. It was routed out years ago to mount a humbucker. It's a humbucker without the cover making it look like to my laymen's eye two single coils. The bridge position is strong when going for a blues/Stevie Ray Vaughn sound. Maybe I'll keep it. 

Posted : December 19, 2021 11:31 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@jszfunk Thanks for the response, yeah it will be interesting to see what Smith comes up with as the old Gibson vintage amps were underrated I think and never as popular as Fenders. I believe his Mesa Boogie amps are known for their high gain so wonder if he goes that route or comes up with something more traditional.

Will also be interesting to see if they do any handwired point to point boutique models or if the circuits will be laid out on PCB's to save Mfg costs. Supposedly they will be manufactured in Petaluma, Cali so I am guessing they aren't going to be cheap.

I have a Gibson Goldtone reissue GA-5 which is a nice little single ended 2 tube practice amp but a bit of a one trick pony. It has a single 12AX7 and EL84 with a sold state rectifier. It has just a volume knob so not much flexibility. It also has a Mojotone special designed speaker for this amp.

Believe it or not they were Made in USA, by Mojotone I believe, and they are well constructed with a nice cream tolex on a solid Baltic birch plywood cabinet and quality components which are on a PCB.

Starts breaking up around 12 o'clock and the overdrive is a bit buzzy but it is a fun amp for just practicing with. There is a guy who mods them by adding a tone stack and some other mods to make them more flexible but I hate to mess with the thing as I am a bedroom hack so it is good for what I need. 

I bought it used right around the time Gibson discontinued their Goldtone amps so got it for a great price. They have since doubled in price on the used market 

This post was modified 2 years ago 4 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : December 19, 2021 3:10 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@jszfunk  I'm not an amp expert but Gibson needs a strong, good selling amp. Gibson is a premium top name in guitars and Gibson a top guitar brand in the 60's and 70's but the amp that was regarded as the best by many top well known players was Marshall. Fender also had a well liked line of amps then. I'm not sure which amp manufacturer is the top one today but Gibson certainly needs to be in the top 5. 

Today according to the big music store here the best selling acoustic guitars are Taylor and Martin. The top electrics are Tele, Strat, Les Paul and SG. With Ibanez and Jackson favored by players more into metal and hard rock. I'm going down there Monday. I'll ask which amp manufacturers are the best sellers. 

I'm thinking about trading in my SG and old Strat for a new Epiphone Les Paul. It's expensive but not as expensive as the GIBSON Les Paul. 

I thought my old used Strat had two single coils wired together in n the bridge position but they said it's one pickup. It was routed out years ago to mount a humbucker. It's a humbucker without the cover making it look like to my laymen's eye two single coils. The bridge position is strong when going for a blues/Stevie Ray Vaughn sound. Maybe I'll keep it. 

From my knowledge, Gibson has really never been a major player in the amp field. Yes they have made them , but not that aggressive.  Fender is the company that first comes to mind that has had real success in the guitar and amp field. 

Posted : December 20, 2021 8:43 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

@jszfunk Thanks for the response, yeah it will be interesting to see what Smith comes up with as the old Gibson vintage amps were underrated I think and never as popular as Fenders. I believe his Mesa Boogie amps are known for their high gain so wonder if he goes that route or comes up with something more traditional.

Will also be interesting to see if they do any handwired point to point boutique models or if the circuits will be laid out on PCB's to save Mfg costs. Supposedly they will be manufactured in Petaluma, Cali so I am guessing they aren't going to be cheap.

I have a Gibson Goldtone reissue GA-5 which is a nice little single ended 2 tube practice amp but a bit of a one trick pony. It has a single 12AX7 and EL84 with a sold state rectifier. It has just a volume knob so not much flexibility. It also has a Mojotone special designed speaker for this amp.

Believe it or not they were Made in USA, by Mojotone I believe, and they are well constructed with a nice cream tolex on a solid Baltic birch plywood cabinet and quality components which are on a PCB.

Starts breaking up around 12 o'clock and the overdrive is a bit buzzy but it is a fun amp for just practicing with. There is a guy who mods them by adding a tone stack and some other mods to make them more flexible but I hate to mess with the thing as I am a bedroom hack so it is good for what I need. 

I bought it used right around the time Gibson discontinued their Goldtone amps so got it for a great price. They have since doubled in price on the used market 

Good post. I thought the same thing too about Mesa being "high gain". I hope he stays more traditional.

Nice little amp you have there. Those low wattage amps are fun to crank up to get that over driven sound without blowing up the neighborhood. I had an Epi valve junior 5 watt head at one time and a Vox AC4TVH. Those were fun.  I have had my eye on the Fender Excelsior  13watt 15inch speaker. I have played one awhile back and it has a good amount of clean head room and then can drive  pretty real well too.

Posted : December 20, 2021 9:37 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Boy I don't know beans about amps and guitars. I have the list of best selling amps and guitars new from the big music store here and hundreds of other music stores tallied together. Some of the best sellers for December 2020 to November 2021 I've never heard of:

Amps:

1. Fender Mustang Micro.

2. Boss Katana MKll. 

3. Positive Grid Spark. 

4. Orange Micro AKRK 

5. Orange MT 20

6. Yamaha THR1011

7. Vox AC15C1 

8. Orange CR 35 RT 

9. Fender Master Deluxe Reverb 

10. Boss KIN-MIMI. 

It seems many of these Amps are lower priced and likely not part of the rigs of big well known bands and players. But those are huge sellers across the country right now. 

Posted : December 20, 2021 10:20 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Electric guitars:

1. Fender Player Telecaster 

2. Fender Player Stratocaster 

3. RRS Silver Sky John Mayer Signature

4. Squire Affinity Telecaster by Fender 

5. Fender American Professional Stratocaster 2

6. PRS SE Custom 24 

7. Fender American Professional Stratocaster

8. Gibson Les Paul Standard

9. ESP LTD EC-1000 

10. Squire Affinity Stratocaster by Fender.

11. Fender American Standard Stratocaster. 

12. PRS CE 24

13. Fender American Professional Series Stratocaster.

14. Fender American Ultra Telecaster.

15. Squire J Mascis Jazzmaster by Fender.

16. Squire Classic Vibe 60's Jazzmaster by Fender.

17. Fender American Standard Stratocaster 1986-2000.

18. Gibson Les Paul Classic.

19. Fender Standard Stratocaster 1998-2005

The 19 best selling electrics are also lower priced guitars for the most part? 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : December 20, 2021 10:44 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Acoustic:

1.Fender CD-60 

2. Fender Newporter 

3. Art and Lutherie Roadhouse

4. Epiphone J-206

5. Taylor GS 

6. Martin Junior

7. Yamaha SLG 208

8. Epiphone Master Built. 

9. Taylor 214 CE. 

These top selling Amps, electric and acoustic guitars don't make sense to me. Apparently tons of lower priced guitars are sold across America. Some on the list may be over $1,000.00 though. 

Wonder how much of this equipment ends up in the garage rarely used?  The manufacturer probably doesn't care if it's used for a month in a garage or bedroom and never touched again. 

Posted : December 20, 2021 10:52 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@jszfunk That Gibson GA-5 reissue is a fun little practice amp that was a real bargin when I bought mine. They were originally selling for $700+ but you could pick one up for half that after the were discontinued from Musicians Friend when they were trying to blowout the remaining stock.

The Epi 5 Valve Junior amp you had was another amazing bargain as I think you could pick one up for about $200 originally. They were made in China but they were fun amps for the money and there was a whole cult of DIY modders.

If someone is hand with a soldering iron you can do some nice mods on that amp to make it more flexible and musical.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : December 20, 2021 12:13 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I'm still amazed. Maybe stunned. There is not a Marshall amp on the best selling amp list. I don't get it. 

No SG on the electric guitar list of best sellers. I have a SG and it used to be one of the top sellers. 

Ibanez use to be a major seller of electric guitars especially with the hard rock and heavy metal players. No Jackson or Charvel. 

Lots of cheap $&# Squires are top sellers. Thank you Jack Pearson! 

Posted : December 20, 2021 12:45 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

@jszfunk That Gibson GA-5 reissue is a fun little practice amp that was a real bargin when I bought mine. They were originally selling for $700+ but you could pick one up for half that after the were discontinued from Musicians Friend when they were trying to blowout the remaining stock.

The Epi 5 Valve Junior amp you had was another amazing bargain as I think you could pick one up for about $200 originally. They were made in China but they were fun amps for the money and there was a whole cult of DIY modders.

If someone is hand with a soldering iron you can do some nice mods on that amp to make it more flexible and musical.

Yeah,I have seen alot of mods done on those Epi's. Pretty cool stuff!!!

The Vox AC4TVH had a few more controls than the Epi. I use to run mine through a 410 Sunn Cabinet that I loaded with Peavey Classics., and it really barked when cranked. Surprising loud for 4 watts!!!

The Vox AC4C1 4watt 1-12 is similar to the one above but has more controls.

Posted : December 20, 2021 1:11 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@robertdee Yeah it is surprising about Marshall as they make some inexpensive small combos. 

Just goes to show you the reach Fender has with people looking for inexpensive guitars and amps. They do a great job marketing wise.

I am also surprised there are no Epiphone electrics on the list as the Les Paul models are very reasonably priced and well made guitars compared to the US made Les Pauls.

Regarding the Fender Squire being a best seller, I am betting it has more to do with how cheap it is, is well made for a budget guitar and looks like a regular Strat than the fact that Pearson plays it. He is not exactly a high profile well known guitarist and I bet if you asked the people buying Squire's the majority have never heard of him. They certainly don't mentoin him on their website trying to sell Squires.

I mean how can you beat this deal for a beginner

https://www.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/stratocaster/squier-stratocaster-pack/0371823006.html

Posted : December 20, 2021 1:13 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham I've been a rock blues jazz fan since the early 1960's and you are right. Jack Pearson is not well known. First I knew of him is when he appeared on Gregg's Searching For Simplicity solo album. I had heard the name before in ABB circles but not his playing. 

I run into people at shows and the big music store who don't know who Derek Trucks is or Warren Haynes and some are not sure who Dickey Betts is but they know the name. I say Ramblin'Man, Blue Sky, Jessica and pow they know the voice and songs. 

According to Jack, Squires are made overseas and mainly in Asia. It is Fender's attempt to blunt the low cost copy guitars made there. Jack gets his from Singapore for around $80 to $150.00 and claims he doesn't do much to them. Squire was the name of a guitar string company Fender bought and renamed Fender but used their rights to the name for these low cost versions of their guitars made in Asia. 

I've noticed the new ones for the last few years here at the big music store say Squire by fender on the headstock. But they don't recommend them here unless it's for a teen who thinks he wants to play an electric guitar. Here they tell me Gibson's Epiphone brand is a much better made discount priced guitar. But there is a beautiful Epiphone Les Paul sunburst here right now but it is almost a thousand dollars. The Gibson branded Les Pauls here are more than that though. 

But the lead player for Genesis couldn't get to his guitars for the latest tour due to Covid shutdowns so he went out and found some cheap Squires and is still using them. But he had his guitar tech to improve some things about his Squires. Pearson claims he just get it out of the shipping box and starts using it. But in the two interviews I've seen Jack is grinning when he says that. He may be pulling a leg a little.  

Mike Rutherford bought two Squires in a pinch due to lock down but surprisingly liked them enough he is using them some of the current Genesis tour. 

Posted : December 20, 2021 1:42 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@robertdee if you decide to go with an Epiphone Les Paul there are usually a bunch of used ones of all types of tops and colors  on ebay in excellent condition for less than $500. Even most of the new models can be had from the big mail order sellers for less than $700.

I know it can be a risk to buy on ebay but as long as you buy from a reputable seller and use Paypal the risk is low.

I had always lusted after a Les Paul so finally pulled the trigger and purchased my 2000 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power off of ebay from a dealer in Canada and got a great deal 15 years ago so buying used is a great way to get a like new guitar for a nice price. It is basically a regular standard LP with plain natural top with no finish and factory grover tuners.

I had the chance to try a couple of Epi LP's over the years and they were really nice well made guitars and can play as well as a US made LP. 

Evidently Epi LP's have been made in Korea, China and Indonesia. Word on the street is the Korean made guitars are the best quality but I have also read the newer MIC models are excellent quality now.

They are now made at a Gibson owned factory in China so they don't use a contract manufacturers  anymore so have better quality control as a result.

Here is a nice article to help you figure out where a used Epi was Mfg.

https://gear-vault.com/epiphone-les-paul-mic-vs-mik/

And one comparing a US LP with a Chinese made Epi LP

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/labs/gibson-vs-epiphone-guitars

Is there something special about the one you were looking at locally for it to sell for close to a grand?

This post was modified 2 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : December 20, 2021 3:41 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Thank you. That is some wonderful information. 

Used is apparently not that usual with famous players. Dickey, for example, bought his favorite Les Paul in 1974 at a Pawn Shop in Manhattan. It's a 1957 so clearly he didn't get it new. Indeed back in the 1970's he eventually said the best Les Pauls to him are the instruments made in the 1950's. 

Posted : December 20, 2021 4:17 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Gibson Studio models are great deals, too - and they are lighter. I bought the majority of my guitars online or via order without playing them first, including a LP Studio for about $700 on Reverb. I like guitar shops, but it's nice not having to limit yourself to what gear is within driving distance.

@robertdee guitarists in the late-1960s were buying used Les Pauls because Gibson stopped making them from 1961-1968 (SGs were briefly the new LP until Les Paul demanded his name be taken off of it).

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 20, 2021 4:48 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob That is right. I hadn't thought of that for sometime. About 1961 Gibson decided the Les Paul needed refreshing and the new Les Paul was released. But MISTER Les Paul didn't like it. Apparently only because it wasn't his personal design and demanded his name be removed. Then it became the SG. I have a SG and I really like it. 

This is cute if you haven't seen it. Mary Ford was a good player too apparently. 

Les Paul lived to be 94 and died in 2009. But Mary Ford developed a drinking problem which became so bad Les couldn't work with her anymore and they had a most confrontational divorce in 1964 and their act ended then too. In the early 1950's they had six million selling singles. 

Mary was more like a rock musician. She continued drinking heavily and died in a diabetic coma from alcohol abuse in 1977 at age 53!! 

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : December 20, 2021 4:58 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob Yeah Studios are a great way to get and affordable US made Les Paul with out some of the finishing trim like the body and fret board binding. Is your Studio chambered weight reduced like some of the later 2000's LPs were?

Read an interesting old interview with Leslie West where they asked him why he played LP Juniors that gave him his signature sound.

The interviewer asked him if he picked them for their unique P-90 single coil tone. Leslie laughed and said he played them because back in the late 1960's early 70's they were cheap and plentiful used guitars that you could buy for less than $100 so when he needed a new guitar he could walk into most Music stores and pick a used one up on the cheap before he made any money.

Posted : December 20, 2021 5:20 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham I was looking online just now and there are some Gibson (not Epiphone) Les Pauls for under $2,000.00 but there are some such as a beautiful 1959 Sunburst Les Paul for $20,000.00 A number are more than $10,000.00. 

Les and Mary 

Posted : December 20, 2021 5:29 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@robertdee Modern 1959 reissue Les Paul Historics or Custom shops can get expensive but there are some beautiful ones for $5-6K on the resale market.

I do lust after a 1959 Custom shop reissue Bourbon Burst but don't have the discretionary income right now with two teenage daughters to put through college.

Maybe when I retire.

I would love one that looks like Duane's Hot Lanta LP as it had a nice faded Bourbon Burst color and a top that was not too figured but just enough stripping.

Here is one from Japan that is supposedly the first  prototype for the Gibson Duane Allman signature model. Click on the top listing for the $45K LP to check it out

Crazy price but I guess it is a collectors item so some rich collector fan may bite.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Gibson+Les+Paul+Duane+Allman&_sacat=0

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : December 20, 2021 5:43 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@bill_graham yeah it's chambered.

That's funny about Leslie West, and not surprising. Devon Allman and Duane Betts both did a Rig Rundown and they couldn't say what kind of pickups were in their guitars - it didn't really matter. If I recall, even Derek wasn't sure when asked. The people who can play just pick up the guitar and play. I've found some of the intense gear nerds are not very good musicians. Instead of honing their skills they fixate on the tech, tinker with wires and pots as if it will put them over the top as a player. Kind of like car enthusiasts - just because they know all about the inside of the car doesn't mean they can drive it well.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 20, 2021 5:44 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Wow that Duane Les Paul guitar is $45,000.00!! That's a lot. Bourbon burst. I saw Duane play that guitar a few times and I figured it might be tobacco burst. If we are talking about the same guitar it has DUANE pressed into the back and the letters are formed by old frets. 

Most days when I think about it, my favorite Allman Brothers guitar solo was apparently played with the bourbon burst. It smokes and every note seems to be just right. 

Posted : December 20, 2021 5:54 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@bill_graham I always dug Duane's tobacco burst LP too. I basically got the bargain bin version with my LP Studio. I swapped out some hardware, and I actually prefer the satin finish.

LP 2 (0 00 00 00)

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 20, 2021 5:56 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@bill_graham Wow that Duane Les Paul guitar is $45,000.00!! That's a lot. Bourbon burst. I saw Duane play that guitar a few times and I figured it might be tobacco burst. If we are talking about the same guitar it has DUANE pressed into the back and the letters are formed by old frets. 

Most days when I think about it, my favorite Allman Brothers guitar solo was apparently played with the bourbon burst. It smokes and every note seems to be just right. 

Duane used his Cherry burst LP on At Fillmore East, he got the Tobacco burst LP mid-1971. Bourbon burst finishes are usually a little more red than the brownish tobacco, however, guitar finishes aren't always consistent (or fade with time) so bourbon/tobacco are sometimes interchangeable (or depending on your vice). 

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 20, 2021 6:06 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob I noticed that too. Warren Haynes in the early 1990s was on Japanese TV when the ABB was there and Warren knew a lot of technical things about the guitars he had with him. 

But as you pointed out, Devon Allman and Duane Betts didn't know beans about what is in those guitars they had. Devon did mention Gregg had 46 guitars when he died and gave Devon all of them but clearly Devon is not a gear head and just plays and does hear different tones as he switches around and probably plays a Les Paul Junior the most. 

Duane Betts didn't know much about the three guitars he has with him that Dickey played. Duane called them "family" guitars. Duane did have new pickups that a good friend of Johnny's ( I really like his slide playing ) made for Duane to put in Dickey's 1956 Strat hardtail but Duane couldn't tell the man anything technical about the pickups. He did say Dickey had a hot rail in the neck position to make it sound more like a Gibson but Duane has two of Dickey's good Gibsons so he wanted his number three to sound like a Fender. A number of famous players don't know about the technical stuff. They have techs that know more than they do. 

Here is Marcus King with a $10,000 dollar guitar and Jack with a $100 guitar. Your point is I think they REALLY GOOD players can sound great with a cheapie or practically any guitar. 

Posted : December 20, 2021 6:14 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@robertdee maybe I am misspeaking as I lump tobacco and bourbon burst as the same color so maybe they are different.

I am guessing it is so expensive as it was the first prototype?  The first run of Jimmy Page signature LP's are going for $20K+ now but I think he actually played the first 10 or so so they go for extra $$$. It certainy looks more accurate than the production models I have seen for sale as it has all the scrapes and dings like Duane's original.

Here is one of the production run guitars that   so it doesn't have the buckle rash, scuffs and dings like the prototype

https://davesguitar.com/products/gibson/duane-allman-hotlanta-59-les-paul-04/

And some more pics of reissues. 

https://www.duaneallman.info/note310.htm

Interesting detailed story about delivering the guitar to Duane that I had never read before

https://www.lespaulforum.com/index.php?threads/duane-allman-hot-lanta-story.47307/

and lastly I posted this article several times before but it is always a great read

https://issuu.com/collectibleguitar/docs/cg-marapr15-issuu

Hope you all find this stuff interesting as I can't get enough reading about Duane's guitars.

Posted : December 20, 2021 6:24 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob Thanks man. Last time I saw Duane play was with the Allman Brothers at High Point University in High Point, North Carolina and it was well into the summer and well after Fillmore East. 

I think Dickey used the Les Paul he later gave Danny Toler on Fillmore East but on One Way Out on Eat A Peach it's a Gold Top and to me the tone also is different. That One Way Out LP has absolutely a fantastic tone! 

Is the Liz Reed solo on Fillmore East by Duane a favorite of yours too? It's my favorite Allman Brothers Band guitar solo. Dickey's solo on Liz Reed from Fillmore East is outstanding to me too. 

Posted : December 20, 2021 6:31 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Yes I can't either. Duane's guitar history is most interesting. He live to be just 24 but Duane had a good number of guitars and changed several times with the Allman Brothers.  Duane was the sparkplug for the Allman Brothers when I discovered them in early 1970. Duane was playing a Goldtop and Dickey a Strat at the first five or so shows I saw. But as 1970 rolled along Duane had a Sunburst LP and Dickey a SG then Dickey soon was playing a Les Paul too. 

When Duane was in the band, to me, Duane was the conductor/leader and set the pace and direction of everything. I felt the other six were followers and trying to play for Duane more than the audience. They sure kept their eyes on him often. 

Whatever that spark and fire and charisma and cocky vibe was that just radiated from Duane, it disappeared when he did. Apparently Oakley was lost and struggled to be in a band and in a world that didn't include Duane. 

I can't really describe it but to me the band was just never the same after Duane. I'll even say not as good. Or religious or as charismatic. Looking for the right word 

Yes the Chuck/Lamar lineup was hot especially in 1973 and clearly the band's most commercially successful lineup.  The Warren/Woody lineup also was hot on many nights. Jack and Dickey, Dickey and Derek and Derek and Jimmy and Derek and Warren all had great shows. But it just wasn't as good to me. Like seeing Lynyrd Skynyrd without Ronnie Van Zant or Little Feat without Lowell George. Some people are so charismatic and special to a band that what they began is never as good or something, maybe good isn't the word, after they are gone. 

Posted : December 20, 2021 6:55 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Good posts from BG and PCB on the Epi's and Studio Gibson's.  Deals can be found on Reverb , Ebay and the occasionally on Craigslist. I know Guitar Center sells used gear and Music Go Round is a national used dealer.  I have played Epi electrics most of my life and have been pretty satisfied.  Currently looking to go a different direction possibly with Gretsch,Guild, D Angelico and maybe Hagstrom.

Gretsch G2655 Streamliner Center Block Jr. Doublecut - Village Amber

Gretsch G2655-P90 Streamliner Center Block Jr. Double-Cut P90 Electric Guitar - Claret Burst

Gretsch G5220 Electromatic Jet BT Electric Guitar - Firestick Red

Gretsch G5232T Electromatic Double Jet FT - Tahiti Red

Starfire I SC in Vintage Walnut

D'Angelico Premier Mini DC

Hagstrom Ultra Max

Hagstrom Alvar

Guild S-100 POLARA in Black

This post was modified 2 years ago by jszfunk

Posted : December 21, 2021 10:36 am
Bill_Graham reacted
Page 1 / 3