Topic starter

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/emerson-lake-palmer-book-elp/

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : April 21, 2021 8:07 am
Rusty reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

So tempting - Carl is a great guy - loved ELP from the get go - lost track of em after Works ....never heard a note of Love Beach, Black Moon or Hot Seat
am a big fan, great to see this

Posted : April 21, 2021 8:22 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Saw them in 1974. The organ went up in the air and rotated like a Ferris Wheel. Not sure why. Carl Palmer was the first drummer I saw with about a dozen drums in front of him. Back then Butch and Jaimoe used just four counting the bass drum. Maybe Butch had two floor toms. 

Not sure if all those drums adds anything. The greats from the big band/jazz days such as Cozy Cole, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Sonny Payne etc used small kids and just killed it. 

Posted : April 21, 2021 9:21 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Carl is great!! Carl Palmers Legacy  is a three piece bass,guitar and drums, no keys that I believe, but I could be wrong.

Posted : April 21, 2021 11:47 am
peccles
(@peccles)
Estimable Member

@jszfunk. I have seen Carl’s band four times.  I was skeptical the first time having guitar replace the keys.  But within 5 minutes I was convinced.

Posted : April 21, 2021 6:45 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @peccles

@jszfunk. I have seen Carl’s band four times.  I was skeptical the first time having guitar replace the keys.  But within 5 minutes I was convinced.

Nice! I would love to see that. I read somewhere awhile back why  he chose to go with bass and guitar instead of key's. I like what that three piece is doing.

Posted : April 22, 2021 8:06 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk Thanks. Some esoteric playing just like EL&P, Yes, Jethro Tull or Queen. 

Carl has a small set in this band. Plays with traditional grip often which is how you need to play if you are going to do all the cool things on the snare the old jazz greats do. 

Posted : April 22, 2021 9:34 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Carl Palmer has been my favorite "rock" drummer forever.  He, Ginger Baker and Bill Bruford - who all happen to be British subjects - to me, are the finest drummers in popular music.  All three are jazz-based and are hundreds of light years ahead of thrashers and beaters like Keith Moon and Jon Bonham.  I'd say that this is my opinion, but this is a fact.

Posted : April 22, 2021 9:57 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @rusty

Carl Palmer has been my favorite "rock" drummer forever.  He, Ginger Baker and Bill Bruford - who all happen to be British subjects - to me, are the finest drummers in popular music.  All three are jazz-based and are hundreds of light years ahead of thrashers and beaters like Keith Moon and Jon Bonham.  I'd say that this is my opinion, but this is a fact.

I agree Carl is one of the finest.....but Bonham was more than a "beater" as you mentioned.

If you got about 9mins...

Posted : April 22, 2021 12:50 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Agree 

Bonhsm is jazz based 

The “Bonham triplets” are from Elvin Jones

Carl’s large kit was cool in that it fit with ELPs music - sort of orchestral rock, for lack of a better term. 

Posted : April 22, 2021 1:12 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@jszfunk  Led Zeplin is a fine band and Bonham was a fine drummer.  Honestly, I've always had nothing but unbridled indifference towards both.  Fine drummer - but not in the league of Palmer, Bruford or Baker.  Bonham was certainly a powerful drummer.  The other three are composers, arrangers and musicians on a deeper level.  Most drummers and percussionist that I know would agree in a heartbeat.  

Posted : April 22, 2021 2:22 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Bonzo & Keith are generally my 2 all time faves

so are Ginger Baker & Mitch Mitchell, just a shame Cream & the Experience weren’t around longer than they were - John Bonham & Keith Moon likewise had a lot more music in them - four masterful melodic trio drummers✌️

& Carl, same thing, always more than right there w/Bonzo & Moon -
dig Bill Bruford big time too (who wouldn’t😮) - his Earthworks album from ‘87....must be heard🤙🌎

Posted : April 22, 2021 2:59 pm
Rusty reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@rusty I will agree to disagree. Stylistically, yes different, but neither one of them are better than the other. Cant compare apples to oranges. It's like when the debate comes up with guitarist. Same thing.

Posted : April 22, 2021 3:48 pm
Rusty reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

None of the above mentioned have anything  on Gram Gram below

Posted : April 22, 2021 3:58 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk Ha! She is good!  Granny is better than the last drummer I played with. 

Neil Peart " There are all these great drummers then there is Buddy Rich. 

Buddy Rich technically is the best drummer we've had. As a person he was an egotistical foul mouthed jerk. He died in 1987. 

And here the patterns and rhythms and lightening speed Buddy shows here is proof positive that technically Buddy leaves other drummers in the dust. In the late 1960's Buddy was asked about Ginger Baker and he said " Ginger Baker!! I could blow that limely off the bandstand in a New York minute" When I read that I was a big Cream fan and it made me mad. But deep down inside I knew it was true. But only technically. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by robertdee

Posted : April 22, 2021 4:23 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

TIME OUT!

I wish I could throw a baseball like this.

Posted : April 22, 2021 5:27 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Other than keep time, the drummer's #1 job is to serve the music. All those guys fit in with their bands perfectly.

personal taste

This post was modified 3 years ago by stormyrider

Posted : April 22, 2021 9:48 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @robertdee

TIME OUT!

I wish I could throw a baseball like this.

Yeah,I hear ya. I was watching a game  about a week or so ago, and there was a great throw from right field to second. It was on a dime but just a hair late.

Posted : April 23, 2021 7:54 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@stormyrider You are right Stormyrider. Butch and Jaimoe were perfect for the ABB for example. Buddy Rich or Hal Roach wouldn't work for the Allman Brothers or most rock bands. Roach would be better than Rich in a band like the ABB.  Buddy Rich is they say at Drummer World... technically the best drummer we've had and probably the fastest with his hands. But Buddy didn't like rock or country. Big band and jazz was all Buddy liked. Plus Buddy was such a A hole that apparently that is why during his later years he hired young musicians to play with him but he often abused them with screaming cuss outs on the bus. " You **** are worse than any high school band I ever heard. I've played with the greatest musicians in the world!! But you **** are one miscue and clam after the other! We don't play two bars in one * tempo!!! If I hear one more ****** clam tonight I'll leave you here and you can get back to New York on your own!!"

Ronnie Van Zant was the same! Just abused the guys in Lynyrd Skynyrd unbelievablely. 

I hope Butch Trucks' spirit doesn't get mad at me because Butch absolutely despised Ed King. But here Ed King talks about how Ronnie's abuse became more than he would take.  

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : April 23, 2021 9:36 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Ed live in 1974. 

Posted : April 23, 2021 10:17 am
Share: