Illustrious Member
Topic starter

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/tedeschi-trucks-band-2021-tour/

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : April 21, 2021 8:05 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Venues with social distancing, seats in pods that are separated, masks required when you leave your pod. I feel safe doing this

got my tix today

Posted : April 21, 2021 4:28 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I am just waiting for concerts to get back to normal before I plan on attending. I am tired of all of this"pod" garbage and etc.... just my opinion.

I dont think it would happen but it would be interesting to see some off shoot of the TTB or maybe just pair it down to the four piece of Derek,Susan,Brandon and Tyler.

This post was modified 3 years ago by jszfunk

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : April 22, 2021 8:16 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

to each his/ her own

live music in a parking lot next to your car or in a space separated from other people is fine with me, certainly better than no live music

TTB said shows will have anywhere ftom 4-8 musicians 

on a side note, they have been paying band and crew the entire time, which is pretty cool

Posted : April 22, 2021 9:25 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@stormyrider. Wow that is cool. Good for them. I could see The Rolling Stones or The Eagles doing that but not TTB. They must have been making more money on the road than I figured. 

Posted : April 22, 2021 9:28 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Maybe

they also seem to be genuinely caring people

Dereks attitude toward songwriting credit is- if you were in the room, your name goes on. He has said he has seen too much conflict over credit so goes out of his way to take care of people and avoid the reason for conflict

Posted : April 22, 2021 12:29 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@stormyrider Derek likely is aware his uncle Butch became irritated in 1970 that he didn't get a writing credit on In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed and several other songs which Butch stayed irritated about for decades. Butch and Berry Oakley added changes to Whipping Post that altered that song greatly from how Gregg played it to the band ( slow ballad) yet no writing credit. 

Butch said he went to Duane to complain and Duane's position was whoever brought in the song is the writer, the rest of us are part of the arrangement. 

They did have one song, Hot 'Lanta, where all six shared in the writing credit which is probably how those other songs should have been. Supposedly Gregg was playing a riff he came up with on the organ, Dickey heard it and ran up to Gregg and began humming a melody in Gregg's ear and the entire band worked together to finish the song. 

I can understand cover songs being an arrangement only thing. They couldn't add their names to One Way Out no matter how much they changed it but probably original songs that the entire band worked together to finish probably should have had others added to the writing credit. 

The famous intro to Whipping Post was Berry Oakley's creation and the time signature and changes came from Butch but ONLY Gregg got the royalty. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : April 24, 2021 10:23 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Agree 100%
it’s costing Derek and Susan money to spread around the credit but well worth it, IMO

Posted : April 24, 2021 5:49 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

I saw them Friday night in NH and it was great. 6 piece band, Derek, Susan, Brandon, Falcon, Gabe, and Mike. It was a bit weird at first with the venue 1/2 full (or 1/2 empty), but there was plenty of energy soon enough. I heard the horn parts in my head in some songs, after a while I didn't notice. 

Derek was on fire the whole night. He gave me the "cold chills" more times than I can count (see interview with Derek, Warren, and Santana). People who complain about the horns and "not enough Derek" in TTB might like this setup. Susan played some nice solos too - she isn't Derek or Warren but she can certainly hold her own.

Personal high points were Shame, Do What you Want > Elizabeth Reed > Soul Sacrifice. 

Highly recommended

Posted : July 18, 2021 10:10 am
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

I would love to see this band, but they don't play to close to Champaign, Illinois most often they hit INDY or Chicago and the tix are way tooo expensive. I know I shouldn't complain, but money doesn't grow on trees. Enough said.

Years ago before Derrick and Susan become a family they both toured around here and it was really cool to see their shows. This was just after Her first release "Just  Won't Burn," and she was smok'in to say the least. Great band that included the late Sean Costello. At the time she was starting to make a name for herself as an opener for the likes of B.B King and Buddy Guy to name a few.

At the same time Derrick was fronting his band and playing some great music as well. He was on his way to stardom as well as would occur.

I've  got most of the the TTB stuff in my collection, but seeing someone play LIVE is just so much better than any recording that could be purchased, so as I say I would love to see this band some time.

Thanks for all who have posted their own opinions of this power group.... 

Posted : July 18, 2021 10:43 am
Buckeye
(@buckeye)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @jszfunk

I am just waiting for concerts to get back to normal before I plan on attending. I am tired of all of this"pod" garbage and etc.... just my opinion.

I dont think it would happen but it would be interesting to see some off shoot of the TTB or maybe just pair it down to the four piece of Derek,Susan,Brandon and Tyler.

I'm with you on both accounts.  Please save the "pods" and the masks as requirements.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Buckeye

Posted : July 18, 2021 11:17 am
Share: