ABB Down in Texas '71 to be released next month

57 Posts
24 Users
14 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

https://www.merchmountain.com/collections/allman-brothers-band-museum-at-the-big-house/products/allman-brothers-band-down-in-texas-71-cd

AVAILABLE ONLINE EXCLUSIVELY  
THROUGH BIG HOUSE/MERCH MOUNTAIN AND AT THE BIG HOUSE MUSEUM

Renowned for their rousing and mesmerizing live performances, THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND is preparing to officially release another historic show. Recorded on September 28, 1971 at the Austin Municipal Auditorium in Austin, TX, Down In Texas ’71 will be available DATE on CD, following an exclusive pre-sale online and at The Big House gift shop, via the Allman Brothers Band Recording Company. The nine-track collection features “Statesboro Blues,” “In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed” and “Stormy Monday,” among others, and includes an exclusive radio interview with band members Berry Oakley and Duane Allman, recorded just a few months ahead of this performance.

Down In Texas ’71 captures a special snapshot in time during the pivotal year of 1971 for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame group. Coming two months after the release of At Fillmore East in July and occurring one month before the death of Duane Allman in October, the Austin show presents the original ABB line-up—Duane Allman, Gregg Allman, Dickey Betts, Berry Oakley, Butch Trucks and Jaimoe—at the peak of their creativity. An innovative “You Don’t Love Me” and the jazz-inspired Hot ’Lanta” give hints of where the group may have taken their music if Duane had lived. In addition, Down in Texas ’71 features saxophonist Rudolph “Juicy” Carter sitting in on six out of the CD’s nine tracks, which is the most extensive guest appearance available with the band’s first incarnation. Juicy and Jaimoe had played together with Percy Sledge, and it was Juicy who coined the moniker Jaimoe for the drummer born as Johnny Lee Johnson.

Proceeds from this release will benefit the Allman Brothers Band Museum. The Big House in Macon, GA is the house where members of The Allman Brothers Band, their roadies, friends, and families lived between 1970-1973. It was the focal point of gathering in those early years when the magic that is the Allman Brothers Band was just taking shape and radiating from this historic Southern town. The Big House is now home to the largest collection of ABB memorabilia in the world.

Track Listing for Down in Texas ‘71:
Statesboro Blues
Trouble No More
Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’
Done Somebody Wrong
One Way Out
In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed
Stormy Monday
You Don’t Love Me
Hot ‘Lanta
Berry Oakley and Duane Allman 06/06/71 Houston, TX interview

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : February 10, 2021 2:06 pm
dzobo
(@dzobo)
Reputable Member

Not to be unkind, but Juicy Carter added very little and typically detracted from the proceedings. 

Posted : February 10, 2021 2:20 pm
PeachNutt reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The packaging is a little more inspired than the recent releases. Look forward to hearing some samples.

Untitled 2 1024x1024@2x copy

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : February 10, 2021 4:42 pm
steadyhorse
(@steadyhorse)
Reputable Member

Nice, I’m in

Posted : February 10, 2021 5:28 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Berry and Duane interview should be interesting. I've heard a couple other such interviews and Duane did most of the talking but Berry chimed in some too.

In Gregg's book Gregg said when he showed up to join the band Duane and Berry were already incredibly tight. Gregg thought it strange. He had never seen his brother become so tight with someone.  Gregg said if you saw Duane, Berry was with him and if you saw Berry, Duane was with him. 

That band was never the same after those two split the scene. And to me, never as good.

Posted : February 10, 2021 8:22 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Berry and Duane interview should be interesting. I've heard a couple other such interviews and Duane did most of the talking but Berry chimed in some too.

In Gregg's book Gregg said when he showed up to join the band Duane and Berry were already incredibly tight. Gregg thought it strange. He had never seen his brother become so tight with someone.  Gregg said if you saw Duane, Berry was with him and if you saw Berry, Duane was with him. 

That band was never the same after those two split the scene. And to me, never as good.

Posted : February 10, 2021 8:22 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Posted : February 10, 2021 8:23 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @steadyhorse

Nice, I’m in

X2, like the fact they took the title from that old Hourglass song - stoked about the interview too 

just listened to the andyvannoy show, gosh that one, The Final Note, now this one,🤙 

great Butch-Jaimoe-Rook footage too, love that 4/20/79 show

Posted : February 10, 2021 9:27 pm
Delawhere
(@delawhere)
Estimable Member

Just pre-ordered, because this concert has definite meaning for me. I was a freshman at St. Edward's University in Austin in September of 1971 and was already a devoted ABB fan -- I jumped on board with the first album and became a fanatic with At Fillmore East. Anyhow, the boys were in town and I wanted to see them, but I didn't have the money, so I thought "Well, next time..." And, of course, a month later Brother Duane was gone. There aren't many moments in my life that I would love to do over, but that's definitely one of them -- the chance to see the original lineup. At least now I'll get to discover what they sounded like that night in AusTex..

Posted : February 11, 2021 12:46 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
tomsmith79
(@tomsmith79)
Trusted Member

Will this be for sale at local record stores? Or is it only available via the Big House? 

Posted : February 11, 2021 12:52 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@tomsmith79

AVAILABLE ONLINE EXCLUSIVELY  
THROUGH BIG HOUSE/MERCH MOUNTAIN AND AT THE BIG HOUSE MUSEUM

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : February 11, 2021 12:58 pm
tomsmith79
(@tomsmith79)
Trusted Member

thanks

Posted : February 11, 2021 1:02 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
DarylM
(@darylm)
Estimable Member

Pre-ordered! I love this kind of stuff.

Posted : February 11, 2021 3:09 pm
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member

With the last archival disc to come out, The Final Note, it was made very clear that the sound quality was rough. I wonder what the audio is like on this one. 

I'm in the dark: how many shows DID Juicy Carter play with the ABB?

Posted : February 11, 2021 4:55 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

Call me a cheapskate, but I wonder if it's possible to get only the CD. Two shirts, and a reflective sticker are more than I need. I have a very good recording of the show, so I'm reluctant to spend $50 for an interview, even though it's with Duane and Berry.

Billastro

Posted : February 11, 2021 8:34 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@billastro the link is for the CD, $15. The bundle is just a bonus for the pre-sale.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : February 11, 2021 8:59 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jimsheridan That is a good question. I saw the Allman Brothers at High Point University in High Point,  North Carolina in 1971 and Juicy Carter was on that show well after the Fillmore East album. Tom Dowd was going to nix the project at the Fillmore if Duane did not nix the horns.  

It's been so many years ago but I don't recall Juicy Carter sounding bad. Juicy was a good friend of Jaimoe and I recall reading once Warren Haynes had heard the tapes Juicy was on and was a bit critical of Juicy and Jaimoe got mad or upset at Warren. 

But there were other horn players beside Juicy at the Fillmore and Tom Down said they were out of tune and ruining the recordings so he rushed to Duane after the set and said the horns had to go or Dowd would pull the plug on the project. Tom Dowd said they were out of tune. But I don't recall Juicy sounding off that night at High Point University and don't recall other horns beside him.

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : February 11, 2021 9:16 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Audio source quality?

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : February 12, 2021 9:01 am
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

@porkchopbob Thanks for the clarification. Time to add another archival to my library.

Billastro

Posted : February 12, 2021 11:00 am
PorkchopBob reacted
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Just ordered my copy of "Down In Texas in 71." Looking forward to hearing this show with the original band members. I'm also interested in the sound of Juicy Carter with his contributions. While I love all of the brothers music, I especially enjoy listening to this time period of the band. They were really "Hitting The Note,' as it is said. I'm sure there will be other releases in the not so distant future to come out , but for now It's Texas time!

Posted : February 12, 2021 11:23 am
bocat
(@bocat)

ordered!

Posted : February 12, 2021 11:36 am
playallnite
(@playallnite)
Reputable Member

too funny as it's being marketed as the " Twiggs stabbing incident "

Posted : February 12, 2021 1:27 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@playallnite

Say what? By whom?

I haven't seen it promoted that way any where, especially since that was in Buffalo NY over a year prior to this show.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : February 12, 2021 1:33 pm
playallnite
(@playallnite)
Reputable Member

A very rare 12 minute Statesboro Blues from 4/29/1970. The band was late to this show and Aliotta refused to pay the full fee. Twigg's London later came by and stabbed Aliotta to death. Sound quality is rough but it is the longest Statesboro out there and has the Ludlow vibe. Checkout my channel for an archive of Duane Allman's work. The videos labeled "DAA Remaster" have been remastered by myself with the help of an audio engineer. Support the channel. This helps pay for the audio engineer. https://www.patreon.com/duaneallmanar... https://www.paypal.me/duaneallmanarch... Art By: https://www.instagram.com/ladybrandde...

Posted : February 12, 2021 1:40 pm
PeachNutt reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@playallnite that's a completely different show than is being promoted here. This thread is about Austin 1971 show. Maybe you have the wrong thread?

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : February 12, 2021 1:43 pm
playallnite
(@playallnite)
Reputable Member

@porkchopbob ooops, too high!

Posted : February 12, 2021 1:48 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

When the band got back together in 1978 after the 1976 collapse that was slowing coming since early 1974, Gregg hired Twiggs as his manager. Dickey called Gregg aside and warned him Twiggs could be dangerous and he would regret it. Sure enough Twiggs got rough with Gregg and said some crazy stuff and it scared Gregg and that was it. 

I don't know much about Twiggs but he did manage the Dixie Dregs. 

And when he died it was a parachute failure while Sky diving from a plane that had departed DUANESBURG, New York.

Jaimoe was the first to know Twiggs Lyndon meeting when both were involved with Percy Sledge. I remember A. Paul wrote about it. Jaimoe said with Twiggs there was a thin line between insanity and a genius. 

Also as most of us know Twiggs was in jail for murder when the Fillmore East photos were taken so that is why only his picture is on the back of the album where the other roadies are pictured. 

Guitar whiz Steve Morse witness Twiggs fatal jump and insisted it was an accident. 

Twiggs was a very dangerous man. You don't stab a club owner to death for deciding your show sucked so you don't get paid. You take him to court. 

Posted : February 12, 2021 2:34 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

When the band got back together in 1978 after the 1976 collapse that was slowing coming since early 1974, Gregg hired Twiggs as his manager. Dickey called Gregg aside and warned him Twiggs could be dangerous and he would regret it. Sure enough Twiggs got rough with Gregg and said some crazy stuff and it scared Gregg and that was it. 

I don't know much about Twiggs but he did manage the Dixie Dregs. 

And when he died it was a parachute failure while Sky diving from a plane that had departed DUANESBURG, New York.

Jaimoe was the first to know Twiggs Lyndon meeting when both were involved with Percy Sledge. I remember A. Paul wrote about it. Jaimoe said with Twiggs there was a thin line between insanity and a genius. 

Also as most of us know Twiggs was in jail for murder when the Fillmore East photos were taken so that is why only his picture is on the back of the album where the other roadies are pictured. 

Guitar whiz Steve Morse witness Twiggs fatal jump and insisted it was an accident. 

Twiggs was a very dangerous man. You don't stab a club owner to death for deciding your show sucked so you don't get paid. You take him to court. 

Posted : February 12, 2021 2:34 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Butch speaks directly & w/love about this incident in the PCHome DVD

the Buffalo venue owner had no way of knowing that Twiggs Lyndon was the wrong man to welch out on when it came time to paying up 

can only imagine his reaction hearing about Duane’s death while incarcerated & being unable to attend the funeral

Posted : February 12, 2021 3:28 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @billastro

Call me a cheapskate, but I wonder if it's possible to get only the CD. Two shirts, and a reflective sticker are more than I need. I have a very good recording of the show, so I'm reluctant to spend $50 for an interview, even though it's with Duane and Berry.

Billastro

Bill, is there sax on most of the songs on your 9/28 recording, as there is as mentioned on this release? If so is he mentioned by name at all - might help to clear up some of the ?s🤙 - good wknd to all

Posted : February 13, 2021 12:57 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: