ABB Charlotte Park Center April 17, 1971 concert poster at auction

10 Posts
8 Users
1 Likes
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'll have to opt out of this one, $5.5k + 20% (buyers premium) is a bit rich for me.

https://auctions.concertpostergallery.com/1971_Allman_Brothers_Band_Charlotte_Park_Center_Ca-LOT19862.aspx

"Very little material from the early years of the Allman brothers still exists today, in ANY condition! The likelihood of another example of this issue surfacing again anytime soon - if ever - is extremely slim to none. It's no secret among collectors that Allman Brothers concert posters are one of the hottest, if not THE HOTTEST segment of the marketplace right now. In recent years, we have been setting record prices with Allman's material on a consistent basis. Given the rarity and desirability of this EXTREMELY SCARCE Duane Allman relic, we expect this piece to be no different!" 

Posted : June 11, 2021 6:35 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah pricey & more alright - even w/the Toy Factory, Toy Caldwell’s pre-Tucker band, on the poster - ‘for rich hardcore fans only’🎵

Posted : June 11, 2021 7:12 am
playallnite reacted
bird72
(@bird72)
Honorable Member

When collectibles hit a high rarity and desirability level, they become "currency" and "commodities".  They transcend whatever they originally represented.  The high end investors and elite collectors with money that often buy them may not be the die hard fan or hobby purist that typically is the base of their popularity.  Meaning they may know less about the item than the average fan who couldn't afford it.  This is true in my other hobby also, old Pontiacs.  The upper tier buyers often wouldn't know a correct intake manifold from a blatantly wrong one.  It is the sad evolution of rarity and popularity (of the moment).  And there are people with bucks now, just dreaming where to spend it.

Posted : June 11, 2021 9:30 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@stephen I can afford it due to 401K from years on the job. I'm 74 and retired now.  Wondered if I may grab it and give it to the Big House museum but I'm hesitant. I'm not convinced that poster is worth $5,500.00. 

Doesn't the big house have several posters from that time period?

That picture is what Butch Trucks had at the top of his blog on the internet for years after 2000 AD except he had Dickey Betts erased. Just 5 of the original 6. 

I followed his blog and postings on this site for years and Butch answered a number of my questions and many other fans too. It was really cool having an original member of the band interacting with fans who was there from day one.

Occasionally someone would rag on Butch for Dickey being removed from the picture and Butch would get defensive and didn't respond well to criticism. Dickey hogged the writing credits with some songs that shouldn't have been on their albums including Ramblin' Man he would say. Butch claimed when they recorded it he thought it was to send to Merle Haggard as a demo. But Phil liked it and others at Capricorn and with the long guitar solo at the end it sounded kinda like the ABB so he (Butch) didn't put his foot down and try hard to keep it off the next album. Butch simply didn't like how Dickey had tainted the band's sound with Ramblin' Man and others on Brothers Sisters with a country/western swing sound. Butch argued it simply wasn't the sound and style of the original band and Brothers and Sisters was not produced and engineered well and should have been called The Dickey Betts Band. And that Dickey should have been voted out in 1972 and Butch hears Brothers and Sisters' influence in many of the modern country bands and it's embarrassing. Wow I hated it when Butch would rag out Dickey and later Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Ed King, the Toler/Goldflies line up etc. But after several writing that it was wrong for him to try to erase a big part of Allman Brothers history and ignore Dickey's contribution to the band's success.... Surprisingly Butch caved and said while vowing to never allow Ramblin' Man to ever be played by the band again he hereby acknowledges Dickey's contribution and Butch restored Dickey's image to his blog page picture. 

Something apparently had been brewing in Butch's life for years that was negative and irritating and it finally exploded. That and the tax mess he encountered with his personal businesses. 

I still listen to the ABB some almost everyday and Butch is on everything one can play except Little Martha and a few acoustic things. I'm deeply impressed with his drumming skills. Suicide is never the answer is it? I hope not. 

Butch with Jaimoe adding those cool fills around what Butch was laying down was something magical  wasn't it. I'm glad I got to experience it live for so many years!! 

RIP Butchie. 

Posted : June 11, 2021 9:44 am
bob1954
(@bob1954)
Noble Member

If I had $5K+ in disposable cash I think I'd rather make a difference in someone's life than buy a piece of cardboard. Just my opinion.

Posted : June 11, 2021 9:58 am
bird72
(@bird72)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @bob1954

If I had $5K+ in disposable cash I think I'd rather make a difference in someone's life than buy a piece of cardboard. Just my opinion.

I'd probably forget and set a cup of coffee on it.......  and I agree with you.  There is some point it crosses over into elitism and excess.  In the vintage car world, due to aging, we are seeing widows auctioning their hubbies years of hoarding barns worth of stuff, after years of being deprived what they should have had, while dumbass hubby buys parts and old cars to hoard.

Posted : June 11, 2021 10:13 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Memorabilia is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it so while $5K seems excessive there may be a wealthy or fanatic collector out there who may bite. Cool item but not the most visually appealing poster. Certainly not as attractive as the old Fillmore Posters.

Compared to the prices that dougsallmancave is asking for items from his amazing collection $5K seems like a bargain.........relatively speaking

https://www.ebay.com/sch/dougsallmancave/m.html?item=174710343856&hash=item28ad8c48b0%3Ag%3AAuUAAOSwRNFe%7E9pK&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

This post was modified 3 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : June 11, 2021 10:58 am
playallnite
(@playallnite)
Reputable Member

I have an original Fillmore West ABB / Hot Tuna poster from 1/71 only paid $400.00 for it.

Posted : June 11, 2021 2:16 pm
DarylM
(@darylm)
Estimable Member

Interesting - I wonder what that 3/27/71 Allmans/Cowboy/Bruce Springsteen handbill is 

worth now? Yikes.

Posted : June 12, 2021 3:06 pm
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@bill_graham

Just had a look at the link you posted: Gregg Allman's wife's jacket for $12k! That made me smile.

But I agree better examples of concert posters out there. 

Posted : June 14, 2021 8:26 am
Share: