Mikal Gilmore on Duane Allman

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

This statement by Mikal Gilmore is the best summation of Duane's towering talent. It reflects what I think and feel better than I ever could:

In March 1971, they recorded two of their three performances at the Fillmore East in New York, for a two-record set that would be widely regarded as the greatest live album ever. In concert, the Allmans earned every inch of their adulation. Night after night, Duane would stand center stage, and, bouncing lightly on his heels, he would begin constructing meditative, rhapsodic solos that ended up going places that rock had never gone before. He thought in perfectly formed complete lines, with all the grace and dynamics of a carefully considered composition. He was perhaps the most melodically expressive instrumentalist rock would ever witness.

I've heard a lot of guitarists (haven't we all 😉 ) but in my opinion, nobody has yet to equal or surpass Duane's overwhelming talent. Nobody.

The complete article is at http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/remembering-gregg-allman-inside-singers-wild-tragic-life-w487450

Billastro

Posted : June 15, 2017 5:44 am
homeboy
(@homeboy)
Estimable Member

Got that right

Posted : June 16, 2017 2:30 am
Evansf
(@evansf)
Eminent Member

I've tried hard to appreciate Derek Trucks skillful guitar playing. As much as I would listen to him, I still go back and listen to Duane. Despite what many people say about Derek, I still think Duane was the best guitar player - ever. Dickey Betts iis alson a par with Duane. These two were a match made in heaven. I'm not trying to put Derek down or anything, he is one of the most expressive guitar players and in a class by himself.

Posted : June 17, 2017 3:38 pm
spoonbelly
(@spoonbelly)
Estimable Member

I think about that in these terms : Derek was the closest thing we had or will get to Duane Allman.

Posted : June 18, 2017 3:10 am
SkyDog4President
(@skydog4president)
Trusted Member

Great read, thanks for posting!

I've tried hard to appreciate Derek Trucks skillful guitar playing. As much as I would listen to him, I still go back and listen to Duane. Despite what many people say about Derek, I still think Duane was the best guitar player - ever. Dickey Betts iis alson a par with Duane. These two were a match made in heaven. I'm not trying to put Derek down or anything, he is one of the most expressive guitar players and in a class by himself.

While there is no true comparison to the emotions Duane Allman expressed and evoked in such a incomprehensibly short period of time, its the tones and just intangible feel that Derek plays with that warrants some kind of comparison to Duane. I love Derek's playing and feel that he is ultimately part of Duane's legacy...but Duane just seemed like he was always "attacking" when he played--not meaning he always played aggressively, but just saying his emotional impact was undeniable and it just hit you and you couldn't help but FEEL what he was playing..EVERY TIME. I don't feel that from Derek always, but i do certainly get it plenty. All just my humble opinion, anyway.

Posted : June 21, 2017 10:28 pm
BirdsAway
(@birdsaway)
Trusted Member

To me it's all about the emotion. Duane's playing goes right through you. His guitar was his means of emoting and the message was irresistible. While Derek is a sensational technical guitarist I just don't get any emotion out of it at all. Maybe that is just all of my personal history that's inescapably intertwined with Duane, Dickey and the original six's music. Having said all that I thoroughly enjoy listening to Derek and Warren.

Posted : June 22, 2017 5:08 am
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

To me it's all about the emotion. Duane's playing goes right through you. His guitar was his means of emoting and the message was irresistible. While Derek is a sensational technical guitarist I just don't get any emotion out of it at all. Maybe that is just all of my personal history that's inescapably intertwined with Duane, Dickey and the original six's music. Having said all that I thoroughly enjoy listening to Derek and Warren.

Exactly. And he played emotionally from his early days:

"Road of Love" by Clarence Carter. After this one take, he said that this was it, he'd never feel the emotion again.

"Goin' Down Slow" Duane's unfinished solo album.

"Melissa" with Gregg and Butch.

"Look What I Got" with Boz Scaggs.

And he got better as he matured.

Derek is a wonderful craftsman, but Duane was the risk-taker. I think of him tap dancing on a high wire without a safety net.

Billastro

Posted : June 27, 2017 5:26 am
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

Duane made music, played music thru his guitar; in comparison to Duane, Derek and everybody else, for me, anyhow, used the music to play the guitar.

Posted : June 27, 2017 11:48 am
homeboy
(@homeboy)
Estimable Member

[Duane was the risk-taker. I think of him tap dancing on a high wire without a safety net.

Billastro

Got that right

Posted : July 1, 2017 12:15 am
Share: