'Duane was one of the original members'

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Why does the header for Duane's threads say "Duane was one of the original members..." when he was the original member? Without him, nothing would have happened.

Just curious.

Billastro

Posted : September 14, 2016 9:23 am
lilwing
(@lilwing)

That's almost like saying Paul McCartney wasn't the original member of the Beatles. Cool

It wasn't a situation where there was a 'Duane Allman' band and everyone else was auditioned to be accepted. The band became an entity as soon as Greg came in as the lead singer. They really were one where the sum was more of an impact than the individual parts.

[Edited on 9/21/2016 by lilwing]

Posted : September 17, 2016 11:56 am
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

That's almost like saying Paul McCarthy wasn't the original member of the Beatles. Cool

It wasn't a situation where there was a 'Duane Allman' band and everyone else was auditioned to be accepted. The band became an entity as soon as Greg came in as the lead singer. They really were one where the sum was more of an impact than the individual parts.

The story goes that, when Duane met Jaimoe and they jammed together, he told him (paraphrased), "If I ever get a band going, I want you in it!" Jaimoe used to tell people, "I was in the band when there wasn't no band!". Stories vary after this, with the Legendary Jacksonville Band being my favorite. You're right that Gregg was the missing component who made the band a complete entity, but without Duane, nothing would have ever happened.

And as good as the band was after he passed, IMHO, they never achieved the levels he pushed them to. He made me think of someone tap-dancing on a high wire without a safety net. There will never be another Duane Allman. 🙁

Billastro

Posted : September 20, 2016 7:42 am
lilwing
(@lilwing)

Many, many times to this day I often wondered what could have been if Duane had not had that accident and the band continuing to grow within their music with each passing day. Without him, it just wasn't the same. 🙁

He was a pioneer, and an extraordinary individual, to say the least.

Posted : September 21, 2016 9:57 am
Quilt
(@quilt)

A great band throughout the various line-ups. But with Duane - magical.

Posted : September 21, 2016 1:22 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Wonderful posts about this gifted, timeless musician & the original band -- "six pairs of hands connected to one brain"

Posted : September 22, 2016 9:16 am
anthonyspare
(@anthonyspare)
Estimable Member

Wonderful posts about this gifted, timeless musician & the original band -- "six pairs of hands connected to one brain"

Very well said. Duane and the rest of the Brother's provided an influence that forever be unmatched.

Posted : September 22, 2016 9:56 am
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Many, many times to this day I often wondered what could have been if Duane had not had that accident and the band continuing to grow within their music with each passing day. Without him, it just wasn't the same. 🙁

He was a pioneer, and an extraordinary individual, to say the least.

I'm certain they would have gone more into "serious" jazz (as opposed to the Kenny G or electronic jazz that became so popular). The Gatlinburg recordings from April, 1970 include a 26-minute version of the John Coltrane version of "My Favorite Things", which Coltrane redefined. They played it well, and I've read that they performed it live at least once: http://allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=29768#pid

Billastro

Posted : September 24, 2016 11:05 am
homeboy
(@homeboy)
Estimable Member

The story goes that, when Duane met Jaimoe and they jammed together, he told him (paraphrased), "If I ever get a band going, I want you in it!" Jaimoe used to tell people, "I was in the band when there wasn't no band!". Stories vary after this, with the Legendary Jacksonville Band being my favorite. You're right that Gregg was the missing component who made the band a complete entity, but without Duane, nothing would have ever happened.

And as good as the band was after he passed, IMHO, they never achieved the levels he pushed them to. He made me think of someone tap-dancing on a high wire without a safety net. There will never be another Duane Allman. 🙁

Billastro

You got that right

Posted : October 12, 2016 2:10 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

That's almost like saying Paul McCarthy wasn't the original member of the Beatles. Cool

Billastro

X2

Posted : October 12, 2016 2:17 am
Share: