The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Anybody using the instruction video on Duane from Guitar World?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
sckeys
(@sckeys)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I ordered this but haven’t started it yet. Ive played guitar but not slide before. I’m still in the basics but look forward to starting it. I was wondering if any others here has (or is currently) playing it. Good day.

Posted : April 21, 2018 7:13 pm
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

I ordered this but haven’t started it yet. Ive played guitar but not slide before. I’m still in the basics but look forward to starting it. I was wondering if any others here has (or is currently) playing it. Good day.

Imho....The "best" Duane slide guitar lesson is an axe tuned to open D and the Duane Allman Anthology....Play along with the tunes on that record / CD until a light goes on and you get in touch with his "voice" and style.....

Posted : April 21, 2018 9:11 pm
sckeys
(@sckeys)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I didn’t know he played in D much. I assumed (and we know what that does) that he would play standard or open E. Cool tip. Thanks.

Posted : April 21, 2018 9:23 pm
philipag
(@philipag)
Eminent Member

I didn’t know he played in D much. I assumed (and we know what that does) that he would play standard or open E. Cool tip. Thanks.

As far as I know you are correct. But open D is the same as open E, just a step lower - so it could work.

Posted : April 24, 2018 12:51 pm
sckeys
(@sckeys)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

It’s a little off topic but I’ve read that Derek Trucks uses E for everything. What I’ve done so far has been standard. I’m trying to get the feel without raising the strings too much. Makes for some clangy practice.

Posted : April 24, 2018 6:39 pm
philipag
(@philipag)
Eminent Member

It’s a little off topic but I’ve read that Derek Trucks uses E for everything. What I’ve done so far has been standard. I’m trying to get the feel without raising the strings too much. Makes for some clangy practice.

You could go to heavier strings - the extra tension will make it easier to avoid hitting the frets. Of course it will make the strings harder to bend for regular playing. You could also try a lighter slide.

[Edited on 4/25/2018 by philipag]

Posted : April 25, 2018 7:19 am
Share: