Duane slide guitar lesson - Statesboro Blues

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey guys, I had a lot of requests on my YT channel for a slide lesson on Statesboro blues. See what you think of this. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the spring weather! ~WW

Posted : May 12, 2018 10:11 am
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

Uncle Willie. Yer back. I got chills hearing your first notes, swear to God. Thanks for doing this and all else you do. Duane was a teacher too. Hope the tribute band is going good.

Posted : May 12, 2018 11:22 am
sckeys
(@sckeys)
Honorable Member

Great job. Thanks for doing this.

Posted : May 13, 2018 4:57 am
burroboy69
(@burroboy69)

Thanks for your lesson. Sounds really good. You have great tone and your right hand technique is really good.

Posted : May 13, 2018 2:56 pm
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the kind words guys. Tribute band is going really well and I’m pretty proud of how we sound. Working hard to be one of the most authentic bands out there! Here’s a couple vids from a recent show:
Statesboro

Blue Sky —> Mtn Jam

Posted : May 13, 2018 5:01 pm
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Couple notes about the band: so I play all the slide parts exclusively. The non-slide parts are split between myself and the other guitar player Brian Fones who has an amazingly authentic feel and tone, especially on the Duane stuff. I know this thread is about Duane but I LOVE doing the Dickey parts too! And I actually find it easier to improvise in Dickey’s style cause it’s so much more linear and structured. Duane was in outer space a lot and that’s pretty tough to replicate. Not to mention his non-slide tone is extremely difficult to nail. Anyway thought I would help frame those clips with some perspective. Let me know what you guys think! And if you’re ever in the mid Atlantic please come see the band and say hi! ~WW

Posted : May 13, 2018 5:16 pm
spoonbelly
(@spoonbelly)
Estimable Member

Watched the two videos on Youtube. You guys have it NAILED DOWN!!

Posted : May 14, 2018 4:02 am
burroboy69
(@burroboy69)

Wow, y'all nail Statesboro! Both clips are really great but your slide tone is killer. Any chance of another video with you breaking down the fills to Statesboro? Awesome stuff.

Posted : May 14, 2018 1:57 pm
sckeys
(@sckeys)
Honorable Member

Enjoyed both a lot.

Posted : May 14, 2018 7:32 pm
PeachNutt
(@peachnutt)
Reputable Member

Great guitar playing.....both players!!! Cool Cool Cool

Posted : May 16, 2018 6:03 pm
sckeys
(@sckeys)
Honorable Member

That is good work on those instruction videos. Well done in the lessons and production.

Posted : May 16, 2018 9:19 pm
Share: