The Allman Brothers Band
Did I ever tell you...

Notifications
Clear all

Did I ever tell you how much I love NYC pizza?

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

3 days = 3 pizzas!

Posted : November 1, 2014 9:14 pm
emr
 emr
(@emr)
Prominent Member

Upper left looks best!!!

And given a choice of last meal - if It was a week of last meals I'd go Pizza since with all the topping choices it really is "cheating" re: variety; but for a single meal it would be a Kobe Cheeseburger

Posted : November 2, 2014 4:23 am
momsaterp
(@momsaterp)

We always enjoy this spot while in NYC for our pilgrimages to the Beacon.

http://www.freddieandpeppers.com/

Posted : November 2, 2014 5:02 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The pictures are Patsy's, Lombardis and Johns of Bleacker Street.

I always try to hit 2 out of 3 of these places on my trips to NY. And at various times all have been my favorite. Patsys was a couple years ago. This spring I thought John's was the best. This time my wife and I agreed that Lombardis was the best. They are all great!

Freddie Peppers is very good. I like the texture of their pizza alot. However, I really like to go for the coal oven stuff though for lunch / dinner full pie type meals.

Posted : November 2, 2014 10:33 am
tclawrence
(@tclawrence)
Trusted Member

Most of the mom & pop pizza shops are gone from the UWS.
Freddie & Peppers is the lone survivor and has the best pizza in the neighborhood!

Posted : November 2, 2014 10:57 am
heineken515
(@heineken515)
Noble Member

I had a pizza in NYC one time, I remember that it was good.

Posted : November 2, 2014 11:00 am
momsaterp
(@momsaterp)

I appreciate this info. Next time we are in the city we will try to check out one (or more!) of these pies.

Posted : November 2, 2014 11:08 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

I grew up in LI, moved to New England (1st providence, now the Boston area) after school.

There is nothing like NY Pizza.

I admit New Haven has a claim

(I used to say the same thing about NY bagels, but then I had some in Montreal that I thought were better.)

Posted : November 2, 2014 11:31 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Next time in NYC try Ray's Pizza

http://rayspizza.com/Location.html

Pepe's Pizza in New Haven, CT is NYC style pizza and is excellent. They now have 5 locations in Ct

I am from the NYC area and when I moved to Boston I found that Regina'a Pizza from the Boston North End tastes like NYC pizza. But there are small local places that make good NYC pizza like Gianni's in Framingham which is a tiny hole in the wall and is run by two brothers. Otherwise everything around here seems to be Greek Pizza which is not my cup of tea.

Posted : November 2, 2014 12:09 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Regina is good

Pepes is great. They going to open somewhere around here - not sure exactly where or when but it supposedly is coming. Can't wait

[Edited on 11/2/2014 by stormyrider]

Posted : November 2, 2014 1:36 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Regina is good

Pepes is great. They going to open somewhere around here - not sure exactly where or when but it supposedly is coming. Can't wait

[Edited on 11/2/2014 by stormyrider]

You're lucky getting a Pepes near you. There is a Regina's in the Auburn Mall that I can hit on the way home for takeout and it never dissappoints. Personally I think they are as good as Pepes but JMO and I have eaten both a fair amount.

Posted : November 2, 2014 1:46 pm
absnj
(@absnj)
Reputable Member

Most of the mom & pop pizza shops are gone from the UWS.
Freddie & Peppers is the lone survivor and has the best pizza in the neighborhood!

It's my go to place after any Beacon show... except they close a midnight, so 10/28 I went home hungry.

Posted : November 2, 2014 1:50 pm
Marley
(@marley)
Reputable Member

http://www.freddieandpeppers.com//blockquote >
For the last three years or so, Freddie and Pepper's was my pre-Beacon show ritual. TTB, too. I may keep that up into the future.

There are a billion places called Ray's Pizza in NYC. I have no idea which ones I've eaten at, but I'm sure I've tried some. Brooklyn Central also makes fantastic pizza.

Posted : November 2, 2014 4:31 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

For the last three years or so, Freddie and Pepper's was my pre-Beacon show ritual. TTB, too. I may keep that up into the future.

There are a billion places called Ray's Pizza in NYC. I have no idea which ones I've eaten at, but I'm sure I've tried some. Brooklyn Central also makes fantastic pizza.

The one I posted is the "famous" NYC Ray's and has amazing pizza

Posted : November 2, 2014 4:42 pm
absnj
(@absnj)
Reputable Member

The one I posted is the "famous" NYC Ray's and has amazing pizza

Here is some of the history of the different "Ray's":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra y's_Pizza

Posted : November 2, 2014 6:16 pm
bump827
(@bump827)
Estimable Member

John's on Bleeker rules

Posted : November 4, 2014 2:04 am
JerryJuice
(@jerryjuice)
Estimable Member

Try Lombardi's right on the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge. It's great !

Posted : November 6, 2014 11:27 am
The_Newt
(@the_newt)
Reputable Member

I just make pizza at home the traditional Italian way; but I grew up Southern Italian, and making pizza this way.

It's far better than any pizza you'll buy in NYC/Philadelphia, Boston/CT, or any other place with lots of Italian-Americans.

At least they put fresh basil on the pizza in the first picture. I remember being very surprised when I was younger and my mother and grandmother told me how most Americans have never had fresh basil or don't cook with it, and the same goes for lentils.

[Edited on 11/6/2014 by The_Newt]

Posted : November 6, 2014 2:25 pm
sevan378
(@sevan378)
Eminent Member

I live here, but got great recommendations from this string - please everyone, continue to visit NYC and post things you like!

Posted : November 6, 2014 3:29 pm
Marley
(@marley)
Reputable Member

John's Pizzeria is tasty and it's a unique experience - the building used to be a church, so there are some pizzeria-themed stained glass windows as well as a gigantic mural on the wall. If you don't go there you'll probably never experience a pizza church. It's in Times Square, on West 44th Street between 7th and 8th avenues.

Posted : November 7, 2014 6:10 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

I just make pizza at home the traditional Italian way; but I grew up Southern Italian, and making pizza this way.

It's far better than any pizza you'll buy in NYC/Philadelphia, Boston/CT, or any other place with lots of Italian-Americans.

At least they put fresh basil on the pizza in the first picture.

[Edited on 11/6/2014 by The_Newt]

We've visited southern Italy, including the spot in Naples that supposedly made the 1st Margherita pizza
No argument from me about the pizza there, and also the fresh herbs

Posted : November 7, 2014 6:36 am
Share: