ISO ABB 1/29/71

20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
homeboy
(@homeboy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Colin has made a very interesting revision to his very helpful and in depth list of available Duane era concert tapes
http://www.allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=65824&page=7&orderdate=
The upshot being that, while I have the 1/28/71 CSRM, I do not have the 1/29/71 show that is apparently streamed on Wolfgang's vault.
If there is anyone who, after reading Colin's relevant entry, knows that they have this show, I would greatly appreciate a BnP, trade or whatever arrangement you would want to make.
Thanks

Posted : February 17, 2018 12:15 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

This is the relevant section of that thread that Stephen is referring to ...

01/28/71 @ Fillmore West, San Francisco (1 disc)
{CaptSkipper Remaster available}

For a while this audience recording was thought to have been from the following night, as Wolfgang’s Vault has a soundboard recording of tracks that appear to be from the same show, and that is listed as 01/29/71. Upon further investigation however, whilst the tracks are very similar – why wouldn’t they be being from consecutive nights – the comments by the band between tracks are noticeably different and therefore prove that they are in fact two different shows.

On 01/28 after Statesboro Blues we hear “can I have a little bit of organ in the monitor please”, whereas on 01/29 after Statesboro Blues we hear “you want to do something right, something will screw up on you every time”, and only after Trouble No More do we then hear “can we have a little more vocal and a little more organ please in the monitor”.

Furthermore, on 01/28 after Elizabeth Reed we hear “Thank you, one that Dickey wrote”, whereas on 01/29 after Elizabeth Reed we hear “Thank you, a tune that Dickey wrote instrumentally” – similar but distinctly different.

Track List: Statesboro Blues / Trouble No More / Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’ / In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed / Midnight Rider / Dreams / You Don’t Love Me / Whipping Post

01/29/71 @ Winterland, San Francisco (1 disc)
{as per Wolfgang’s Vault}

Regarding the venue for this show, according to Kim Payne (ABB Roadie) the show on the 29th was actually played at Winterland, and not the Fillmore West. In further discussions about this, Joseph Campbell (ABB Roadie – “Red Dog”) also recalled having to move Greggs Hammond B3 Organ across the city for one show at Winterland after a show at the Fillmore West. So it would seem that although the ABB had originally been booked to play the 28th, 29th, 30th & 31st at the Fillmore West, after playing there on the 28th for some reason (possibly technical or booking issues) they had to move over to Winterland for the show on the 29th, and then go back to the Fillmore for the shows on the 30th & 31st.

The final piece of evidence comes from a radio recording that is in circulation where the DJ announces “And now, live from Winterland, here’s Whipping Post from the Allman Brothers”, and it appears to be the same version of Whipping Post that is on the Wolfgang’s Vault show. So, this recording is almost certainly 01/29/71 @ Winterland, San Francisco (and not the Fillmore West).

Track List: Statesboro Blues / Trouble No More / Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’ / In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed / Dreams / You Don’t Love Me / Whipping Post

Posted : February 17, 2018 1:19 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

As nobody on your side of the pond has volunteered to help you out Stephen, I will send you a copy of what I have ... check your PMs

Posted : February 20, 2018 2:12 pm
homeboy
(@homeboy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

As nobody on your side of the pond has volunteered to help you out Stephen, I will send you a copy of what I have ... check your PMs

Thank you

Posted : February 21, 2018 1:36 pm
TheBabe714
(@thebabe714)
Estimable Member

I didn't want to over look this and wanted to thank Homeboy and Colin for such great music and information thru the yeas, Big help to me and Nothing greater than a new Duane Show, Thanks so much.

I've been so busy lately and the spare minute or two that I had I spent working on the 92 beacon vine.

I know your working on this but I'm going to look into my shows this weekend and see what I have
and post back.
Thank you again, excellent stuff!

Posted : February 22, 2018 10:24 am
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

Package en-route Steve ...

Posted : February 23, 2018 8:07 am
homeboy
(@homeboy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Package en-route Steve ...

Cheers Colin

Posted : February 24, 2018 12:06 am
TheBabe714
(@thebabe714)
Estimable Member

I checked everything I have and don't have this 1/29/71 show.
have some different versions 1/28 and 1/31

Thanks again enjoy!!

Posted : March 13, 2018 6:04 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

homeboy, please check your Pms.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : April 5, 2018 6:42 am
TheBabe714
(@thebabe714)
Estimable Member

Does anyone want to do a b&p or trade for this 1/29/71 show.
Thanks again, enjoy! peace.

Posted : April 16, 2018 5:38 am
PeachNutt
(@peachnutt)
Reputable Member

I'll send you one - PM me your address....

Posted : April 16, 2018 7:03 pm
TheBabe714
(@thebabe714)
Estimable Member

Thank you very much, greatly appreciated. Really looking forward to it.
all the best & peace

Posted : April 17, 2018 5:43 am
PeachNutt
(@peachnutt)
Reputable Member

Berry is red hot smokin' on this show.... Cool Cool Cool

Posted : April 21, 2018 7:01 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

For a while this audience recording was thought to have been from the following night, as Wolfgang’s Vault has a soundboard recording of tracks that appear to be from the same show, and that is listed as 01/29/71. Upon further investigation however, whilst the tracks are very similar – why wouldn’t they be being from consecutive nights – the comments by the band between tracks are noticeably different and therefore prove that they are in fact two different shows.

On 01/28 after Statesboro Blues we hear “can I have a little bit of organ in the monitor please”, whereas on 01/29 after Statesboro Blues we hear “you want to do something right, something will screw up on you every time”, and only after Trouble No More do we then hear “can we have a little more vocal and a little more organ please in the monitor”.

Furthermore, on 01/28 after Elizabeth Reed we hear “Thank you, one that Dickey wrote”, whereas on 01/29 after Elizabeth Reed we hear “Thank you, a tune that Dickey wrote instrumentally” – similar but distinctly different.

Track List: Statesboro Blues / Trouble No More / Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’ / In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed / Midnight Rider / Dreams / You Don’t Love Me / Whipping Post

Regarding the venue for this show, according to Kim Payne (ABB Roadie) the show on the 29th was actually played at Winterland, and not the Fillmore West. In further discussions about this, Joseph Campbell (ABB Roadie – “Red Dog”) also recalled having to move Greggs Hammond B3 Organ across the city for one show at Winterland after a show at the Fillmore West. So it would seem that although the ABB had originally been booked to play the 28th, 29th, 30th & 31st at the Fillmore West, after playing there on the 28th for some reason (possibly technical or booking issues) they had to move over to Winterland for the show on the 29th, and then go back to the Fillmore for the shows on the 30th & 31st.

The final piece of evidence comes from a radio recording that is in circulation where the DJ announces “And now, live from Winterland, here’s Whipping Post from the Allman Brothers”, and it appears to be the same version of Whipping Post that is on the Wolfgang’s Vault show. So, this recording is almost certainly 01/29/71 @ Winterland, San Francisco (and not the Fillmore West).

Track List: Statesboro Blues / Trouble No More / Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’ / In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed / Dreams / You Don’t Love Me / Whipping Post

I'm wide open for discussion on this one.

My impression, and that of Skip's, was that no 1/29/71 exists. It's true they shifted to Winterland for that night.

Just today, I got a copy of "1/29/71" from Peachnutt, (thank you Gary!) and this is IMO just a cleverly edited version of 1/28/71, which many traders used to do to pass something off as new to help illicit a trade from someone else.

I will qualify it by saying on the "1/29/71" that I just got, the between song/before song comments don't differ like Colin has described above.

So, maybe what I just got is a "manufactured" show that has been circulating for a while and not the one that Colin mentions with different comments.

In that vein, I can't count the number of times that I traded for Derek & The Dominos "12/4/70" with Duane which was just a re-sequenced version of 12/1/70 Tampa.

Anyone? Colin?

Posted : April 23, 2018 4:14 pm
salcapitano
(@salcapitano)
Estimable Member

I agree. I compared the sections that are available on Wolfgangs Vault with my Capt. Skipper Remaster of 01/28/1971 and found that the notes played by all are exactly the same. I don't know how the between song banter is different since I don't have the show in question, but I am 99.99% sure that 01/29 is really 01/28.

Posted : April 23, 2018 6:08 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

My impression, and that of Skip's, was that no 1/29/71 exists. It's true they shifted to Winterland for that night.

Just today, I got a copy of "1/29/71" from Peachnutt, (thank you Gary!) and this is IMO just a cleverly edited version of 1/28/71, which many traders used to do to pass something off as new to help illicit a trade from someone else.

I will qualify it by saying on the "1/29/71" that I just got, the between song/before song comments don't differ like Colin has described above.

So, maybe what I just got is a "manufactured" show that has been circulating for a while and not the one that Colin mentions with different comments.

In that vein, I can't count the number of times that I traded for Derek & The Dominos "12/4/70" with Duane which was just a re-sequenced version of 12/1/70 Tampa.

Anyone? Colin?

Like you, I too was always under the impression that 1/29 didn't exist based upon other peoples comparison with the supposed 1/29 show that is on Wolfgangs Vault. However, last year somebody sent me a copy of a show purporting to be 1/29 which has the different comments between the songs as mentioned in my original post. I have not finitely compared the tracks on 1/28 and 1/29 note for note, they do sound similar, but the stage banter is definitely different.

I will send you a copy of what I have Steve so you can compare too.

Posted : April 24, 2018 2:45 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Anyone? Colin?

Like you, I too was always under the impression that 1/29 didn't exist based upon other peoples comparison with the supposed 1/29 show that is on Wolfgangs Vault. However, last year somebody sent me a copy of a show purporting to be 1/29 which has the different comments between the songs as mentioned in my original post. I have not finitely compared the tracks on 1/28 and 1/29 note for note, they do sound similar, but the stage banter is definitely different.

I will send you a copy of what I have Steve so you can compare too.

Many thanks Colin!

Posted : April 29, 2018 9:27 am
smarner
(@smarner)

There is supposed be a new box set release of those Fillmore west shows (3 of the 4) coming out later this year. Sirius XM Jam On is previewing it right now and say the 1/29/71 show has never been heard before....

Posted : March 26, 2019 11:23 am
gv0000
(@gv0000)

There is supposed be a new box set release of those Fillmore west shows (3 of the 4) coming out later this year. Sirius XM Jam On is previewing it right now and say the 1/29/71 show has never been heard before....

Yes on the Sirius broadcast Warren Haynes & his wife indicate that what you are hearing is from the 1/29/71 Fillmore West show however, the stage banter during the transition between "Trouble No More" and "Don't Keep Me Wonderin'" is apparently from 1/31/71 as it goes something like "... you all made this really nice for us, we really enjoyed the last three nights, we,we're enjoying tonight too."

The set list broadcast was:

Statesboro Blues
Trouble No More
Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed
Stormy Monday
You Don't Love Me
Whipping Post

Which coincidentally matches Colin's set list for the 1/30/71 show.

Posted : March 27, 2019 8:54 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

I’m listening to WP on Sirius/XM right now. It’s great.

Might be the newness of it, but this is a very very cool version and evolved from the earlier versions.

Posted : August 16, 2019 7:03 pm
Share: