The Allman Brothers Band
carpal tunnel surge...

Notifications
Clear all

carpal tunnel surgery anyone?

meandean
(@meandean)
Peach Pro

Just got back from an EMG/ Nerve conduction test and was told I have severe ct in my right hand, and mild in the left. Had a feeling I was gonna get that news since I have been having numbness/tingling in my right hand for at least 6 years. Guess that playing guitar for 34 years will do that to some of us! Struggled to get through some gigs over the last few years and realized this has to stop. Going to discuss this with a surgeon next week and hopefully set up the surgery soon. Anyone here have the surgery? I am curious to hear about your experiences/recovery time etc. (good or bad - any stories are welcome. I'd like to get ideas on best and worst case scenarios). Thanks for any info you can provide!

Topic starter Posted : January 21, 2015 11:13 am
njpaulc
(@njpaulc)
Peach Pro

I have had CTS for over 20 years and have not had the surgery. You can learn to live with it. The only thing that really bothered me were the pains I would get in my elbows at night which made it hard to sleep. Talk to anyone but a surgeon first, things like massage therapy, strecthing exercisese, re-traing, angioplasty to enlarge the nerve tunnel, all can help. I know people who had the surgry and swear by the it and others who swear at it. Go to the surgeon last because you know what he'll recomend. I went to a surgeon first, and he was ready to operate before I took my shirt off, see him last. Also, I don't know what you do for a living, but look into worker compensation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2015 3:18 am
becksbolero
(@becksbolero)
Peach Pro

i have had nerve release surgeries on both hands. not from CT but from accidents. my understanding is it is the same surgery. if i was you i would have the surgery. turn around time (depending on your job and how much you do your rehab) is a short 6-8 weeks. first surgery i was playing again after 6 weeks second a bit longer (more severe accident). rehab is the key. do the exercises the therapists give you and you should be fine.
good luck!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2015 5:38 am
meandean
(@meandean)
Peach Pro

Right hand feeling really good since surgery in February. Here is a clip of us opening for Pat Travers a few weeks ago. Hope you dig it.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 8, 2015 5:30 pm
njpaulc
(@njpaulc)
Peach Pro

Glad it worked out well for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2015 4:24 am
alcot
(@alcot)
Peach Pit

Good and informative site, thanks a lot admins.
Wish u best of luck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 17, 2015 10:18 pm
Share: