The Allman Brothers Band
MLB: Tampa Bay Rays...

Notifications
Clear all

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays Still in First Place!

1,909 Posts
31 Users
98 Likes
156.7 K Views
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I think it stinks that the Dodgers and Giants have to play already. I don't know how they seed things anymore but it seems like Milwaukee and Atlanta shouldn't be playing when two 100 win teams are playing each other but hey, I am not the commish.

I liked it better when there were just four teams. Ya know, before the TV factor came into play. 😉 

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : October 7, 2021 9:31 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

So I am kinda watching the White Sux game and it had taken an hour and a half to play three innings. Fascinating.

Posted : October 12, 2021 3:45 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Perfect corporate sponsorship opportunity for the Red Sox/Astros series....

Cheetos.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : October 12, 2021 7:59 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Ugh, Braves and Sux upset the Crew and Rays. Hader, the best closer in the league, picks the wrong time to give up a homer. At least they didn't get shut out in game 4 - games 2 and 3 were painful to watch. Someone needs to put out an APB on Yelich.

Still, it was a fun Brewers season, I just wish the Brewers hadn't taken their foot off the gas once the NL Central was locked up. Small market MLB teams are always going to have a harder go of it, but it was nice seeing them make some moves to make a run of it.

I was talking to a Rays fan yesterday (they exist) and he was crestfallen. Not just the upset to a bitter division rival after a great season, but that the owner would float the idea of moving to Montreal before the post-season even began.

Astros versus Sux means it's the battle of the sign-stealers. Should be a huge home field advantage for both teams.

Giants-Dodgers is probably the true WS this postseason. But I think I'm done with baseball until next Spring...

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 13, 2021 10:51 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'm looking at the schedule for the National League Championship. Everything is TBD. I think they are playing Saturday and Sunday in California but we don't don't know where. Times are also TBD but I would guess they are at night. I wonder if the Braves are already in California because if the team with the best record has home field Atlanta will go to either San Fran or L.A. They won't even know where to go until tomorrow night. Strange...

Posted : October 13, 2021 11:29 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Posted by: @lee

I'm looking at the schedule for the National League Championship. Everything is TBD. I think they are playing Saturday and Sunday in California but we don't don't know where. Times are also TBD but I would guess they are at night. I wonder if the Braves are already in California because if the team with the best record has home field Atlanta will go to either San Fran or L.A. They won't even know where to go until tomorrow night. Strange...

Actually the Braves could host the first two games if LA beats SF. As a wild card the Dodgers cannot have home field advantage. I believe if they reach the Series then LA's overall seasonal record comes back into play. 

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : October 13, 2021 11:50 am
PorkchopBob reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@oldcoot 

Yeah I forgot about that. Makes no sense to me but that is how it works. A team with 20 fewer wins can have home field. Like the NFL I think. Gotta win your division.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Lee

Posted : October 13, 2021 11:58 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well the Braves get home field. Makes no sense to me. 

Tough for the Giants but they seem to have handled it well. There is no way in hell that guy swung at that pitch but in fairness to the umpire he has to make a split second call while the rest of the world can watch reply after replay. Speaking of, I imagine that will be reviewable soon.

I have no rooting interest in the rest of the playoffs other than seeing Boston lose. Sorry Stephen. If I had to bet on a team I think I would take L.A. The Boston/Houston series is going to be interesting due to the whole cheating sideline. Heck, Houston should bring A.J. Hinch back. 😛 

Posted : October 15, 2021 9:59 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

It all makes sense to me. Sometimes the two best teams are in the same League, sometimes they are in the same division - just the way the chips fall. At least they played each other in the post season.

If the Dodgers are the best team and they defeated the 2nd best team in MLB, then the WS is theirs to lose. But you never know how a team is going to match up, or if a team is going to get hot. I can't stand the sux and the braves, and houston are still a bunch of cheaters to me, so, well, I don't really care I guess.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 15, 2021 10:29 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob 

Well I think you have eliminated three of the four. 😉 

Posted : October 15, 2021 10:43 am
PorkchopBob reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

—————

who needs Clayton, LA has Scherzer, Hamels, Price, Buhler, Urias….

as great as SF is, imo Dodgiz would beat them in a playoff series

Just a Boston fan, checking in*

what happened to Hamels - know I read somewhere that they signed him

yes now it’s the cheating fraudulent Sox & Astros, that’s how they got this far blah blah….good for laughs/get a life folks

Gmen should feel cheated on that blown third-strike call - same Schildt, he didn’t deserve to be fired -

ChiSox had good year & did the right thing bringing back LaRussa - he & Dusty Baker, 72, were the oldest-ever managers in postseason

Boston Strong baby, all the way*

*just having my fun w/some tongue-in-cheek reminders for all the Sawx fans here 

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : October 15, 2021 2:23 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Watching the pre game for the Boston/Houston series and their fans. It reminds me of how much I dislike the Red Sux. 😉 

Posted : October 20, 2021 4:56 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

And we get to listen to the annoying Joe Buck and the militant anti vaccination John Smoltz who can't even get into the FOX studio. Hmm...

Posted : October 20, 2021 5:07 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

There he was - doing the tomahawk chop

& no one is tearing Donald Trump a new ***hole

"look at him, hating on Indians like that!"

"the racist tyrant - he persecutes children!"

& on from there

that's what would've been all over the internet if he were still president

In that way it's a relief his not being re-elected

it speaks volumes

no protests about the Braves name at the WS

read about PETA recently - now they're getting into the act

they (I think them) want the name of "bullpen" to be changed to "an armbarn," calling bullpen cruel - why or to whom, they don't say :yawn:

am not making it up

or the INdians - seems Tribe is being sued over the name change - by a roller derby team in Cleveland, already named the Guardians

meanwhile, what will WFT become??????

let's go Sox - wait til next year - we played well this year

Braves are playing well, the chops will really be tomahawking with joy if they win tonite in Atlanta

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : October 31, 2021 12:23 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@stephen 

Did you see Jerry Remy passed away? He was a decent if not solid infielder. I never knew he was sick. That's sad. I have The MLB Network and they always use the local commentators so I have been listening to him call Red Sux games when they are on for some time. The guy knew the game.

Posted : October 31, 2021 4:25 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah Lee, was just going to add that to my post. He'd been battling cancer for quite a spell, & had had difficulty with his son. His passing is sad indeed, & RIP, Remdawg

Posted : October 31, 2021 4:39 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Congratulations to the Braves! I didn't think they had a chance in the late summer but good for them. Although it is November, I always find it sad when baseball season ends. Spring training will be here before we know it! 😀 

Posted : November 3, 2021 4:03 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

So the lockout starts. This is troubling. I think of how bad 1994/1995 was and I certainly hope it doesn't come to that. Honestly, how much money do people need? 

Posted : December 2, 2021 10:14 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@lee 

Ask the top 1% who own half the wealth in this country.

When it comes to money it is never enough

Posted : December 2, 2021 11:16 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

The sides don't sound as far apart as 1994. I'm just hoping the league abandons the 14-team playoffs. They already mucked it up with the WC play-in. Expaning the playoffs dilutes the sport, there's a reason they play 162 games. But all leagues care about is TV money, so they probably won't. And if the NFL is any example, players (who come and go and don't want to miss a payday window) don't have as much bargaining power as owners.

I've always thought MLB needs a salary cap, it might helps prevent trade deadline fire sales.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 2, 2021 11:30 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob 

JMO the genie is out of the bottle when it comes to more playoff teams. Too late to go back now. It does keep the interest of fans though for teams still in the hunt, Even though we lost to the Sox I thought the AL East wildcard race was exciting with 3 teams in the hunt until the last few days.

I agree there is a need for a salary cap but players will never agree to that I think.

I have not been keeping track so what are the major issues this time?

Posted : December 2, 2021 11:41 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@bill_graham 

Here are the basics: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32754352/everything-need-know-mlb-looming-lockout

I agree, there's no going back on playoffs. More games means more revenue for owners. More fans still watching their teams, but sometimes more means less. I like a Sept division race, too, but I think Sept will be less interesting if all three teams fighting for the division are practically guaranteed a playoff spot.

There's also talk about a 1st round bye for the top spot, which seems counter-productive. It's not like football where you appreciate a 2-week break to get your body healthy - if you're hitting streak or pitching lights out you don't want a 2-week break from reps.

The NBA first round playoffs used to be a quick 5-game series. Then they expanded it to 7 games and spread the games out over the course of 2+ weeks to make sure each game could be televised. That's great that every fan gets to watch their team, but now they have added an additional play-in. Holy crap, it's a lot of basketball, a month of playoffs before you even get oto the second round. I'm probably in the minority, but it actually made me watch less playoff basketball. But I'm sure kids who don't know the difference don't care, their team is in.

I just wonder when it gets stretched too thin. Athletes' bodies can only take so much for so long.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 2, 2021 12:00 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob 

I hate the thought of MLB expanding the playoff field. You dilute the season. Is anyone here old enough to remember when only TWO teams went to the playoffs? They expanded the field to four teams in I think 1969. That's what I grew up with and I think that was perfect. With the addition of more teams I think they are diluting the product. I understand it is all about money but as big of a fan as I am of baseball I don't know how much I would really care about extended rounds.

Is it going to look like the NHL or the NBA where seemingly all teams get into the playoffs?

Posted : December 2, 2021 2:56 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Just saw the latest on the baseball negotiations and I just have to shake my head. They met for 15 minutes today. Really? I hate to say I don't care anymore because I do but I am getting to the point where I am fine with simply moving on from it. Very sad. 

Posted : February 17, 2022 7:13 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Now all exhibition games cancelled thru March 5th. Good job guys!

Posted : February 18, 2022 4:30 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee I agree it's a bummer.

The players are always fighting an uphill battle. For the owners a baseball team is just a hobby in their portfolio. They can take their yacht out in April if there's no ball. The players's careers are finite, not everyone is Mike Trout. Even though I want to see ball on opening day, I kind of hope the players stick to their guns. Owners already get their stadiums publicly funded every 20 years. It's a lot of money that gets grabbed at over a game.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : February 18, 2022 4:38 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

A lot of truth to what you said. Is it a game? Of course but we all know it is a business. For generations of fans yeah, it was a game. I think Marvin Miller and the union helped make it into a business as well as the owners of course. Don't get me wrong, he did a lot to get more for the players. I think a big issue is there doesn't seem to be a middle class. If a star player is making $25 million or something and the minimum salary is less than $1 million that seems to be an issue to me. Why do they need that much money when some of their teammates are making a fraction of what they are?

The public funding of stadiums in all sports floors me. What if I hate sports but my tax dollars are going to this?

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Lee

Posted : February 18, 2022 4:53 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @lee

A lot of truth to what you said. Is it a game? Of course but we all know it is a business. For generations of fans yeah, it was a game. I think Marvin Miller and the union helped make it into a business as well as the owners of course. Don't get me wrong, he did a lot to get more for the players. I think a big issue is there doesn't seem to be a middle class. If a star player is making $25 million or something and the minimum salary is less than $1 million that seems to be an issue to me. Why do they need that much money when some of their teammates are making a fraction of what they are?

The public funding of stadiums in all sports floors me. What if I hate sports but my tax dollars are going to this?

As you say, it's a business, and the pitch is always that the team and stadium bolsters the local economy - parking, restaurants, bars, etc. A lot of businesses get publicly funded tax breaks or incentives by states or cities looking to boost the local economy. But yeah, some of these jobbers playing double-A are going to have a rough Summer if this doesn't get sorted out. We're only 50 years from Jerry Kramer selling cars in the offseason.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : February 19, 2022 12:04 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I just saw that the minor league teams started spring training. That's a good sign to see some baseball. I hope ESPN and the MLB Network televise some games. At least it's something. There is only one team that I can get to and I don't think they start until mid May and they are an indy team. At least it's something.

Posted : February 23, 2022 4:26 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@lee We have the Worcester Red Sox, Sox AAA team, about a half hour drive from my house. Hopefully they play games if MLB stays locked out for any extended period of time. It is a brand new stadium so it is fun to watch a game there and a lot cheaper than going to Fenway,

Posted : February 23, 2022 4:57 pm
Page 53 / 64
Share: