The Allman Brothers Band
MLB: Tampa Bay Rays...

Notifications
Clear all

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays Still in First Place!

1,910 Posts
31 Users
98 Likes
158.7 K Views
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@oldcoot  Well, you beat me by a few years.  I didn't see Hank until 1967.  Eddie Matthews, Felipe Alou and Joe Torre were teammates.  I saw a lot of the Hall of Famers!  In my opinion, there has never been a better all around baseball player than Hank Aaron!  

Posted : January 22, 2021 12:17 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Still have the Cubs & Braves pennants my Dad bought me that day. 

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : January 22, 2021 12:40 pm
Rusty reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

RIP, Mr. Henry "Hank" Aaron - as we all know one of the greatest to ever put on a uniform - class act in every way - went out of his way to pay ups to Tony Conigliaro on opening day 1975 when Tony made his brief comeback - there's a great picture of the two of them

Thank you Hank Aaron for your part in all those kid arguments of, who's greater, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Frank Robinson, Mickey Mantle......

Posted : January 22, 2021 3:13 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Was really sad to hear this. I watched a lot of the coverage when it broke this morning. Not old enough to have seen him but I still have a 1976 baseball card of him from when I was a little kid.

I watched a lot of commentary from various people today and two mentioned the two guys who ran onto the field when he broke Ruth's record and they were concerned that they wanted to do him harm. Obviously not the case.

I just saw a news segment when he got his COVID shot and wanted to get people of color to get theirs as some are leery to do so. Ironic timing.

What a great ambassador for the game.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : January 22, 2021 10:25 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Pretty sure I got to see him in Milwaukee - my aunt was a Cardinal fan and so was I, and  she took me to Milwaukee to see the Cardinals play the Braves.  I seem to remember the teepee with the Indian - he would come out and do a dance if they got a home run.

Posted : January 22, 2021 11:19 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I keep seeing tributes to Hank. Nice ones from Dale Murphy and a long one from Reggie Jackson.

I caught some footage of Hank in Tiger Stadium and I immediately knew it had to be that famous All Star Game of 1971 when Reggie hit a homer off of the light pole in right field. If you've never seen it, look it up. Probably the highest ever hit over that right field roof.

I imagine the only time Aaron played a game in Detroit.

Posted : January 23, 2021 6:27 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

His last 2 years were w/the AL Brewers

Career .305 BA

Made the All Star Game 21 consecutive years - every year but his 1st & last

seven seasons w/20 plus SB, topping w/31 in 1963

The Hammer - as Jimmy Cater said, he’ll be remembered for generations to come

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : January 23, 2021 10:56 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Posted by: @sang

Pretty sure I got to see him in Milwaukee - my aunt was a Cardinal fan and so was I, and  she took me to Milwaukee to see the Cardinals play the Braves.  I seem to remember the teepee with the Indian - he would come out and do a dance if they got a home run.

In Atlanta, the "Indian" character was known as "Chief Knock-a-homa".  The guy in the headdress who would come out of the centerfield tepee and do the home run dance lived a few houses down from my cousins.  Was he a feature during the Brave's tenure in Milwaukee?  I'm not sure if the guy was an authentic Native-American or not but he might have been.  At some point, political correctness caught up and his act was over.  Meaning nothing racist or anti-Native-American - for a 10 year old kid, seeing him come out for the dance was a huge part of going to Braves games!  Another childhood memory of going to those games with my family!

Posted : January 23, 2021 11:20 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Watching the 1974 World Series between the Dodgers & A's. I wasn't old enough to remember it but I know all of the players except for one guy on the A's. I think his name was Jim Holt? 

Here's a useless trivia question for you: Who was the first player to play all nine positions in one game? I never knew this but it's a neat question as he played in the series. 😀 

I think the announcers are Vin Scully & Joe Gariagolia. 

Posted : January 23, 2021 11:47 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Herb Washington: Pinch Runner. That was his position. I love this card. Who has that as their position?

Posted : January 23, 2021 11:57 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

I once played three positions in a football game - sat at the END of the bench to GUARD the water bucket and was told to TACKLE anybody who came near it.  Joke so old you might not have ever heard i!.  😉 

Posted : January 23, 2021 12:02 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Saw a 2010 interview with Hank and Bob Costas last night on MLB Network. Very insightful into the man.

One thing I found very interesting was Aaron had become good friends with Ozzie Newsome who was GM with the Cleveland Browns. Hank became an avid Browns fan, would fly into Cleveland for the home games and actually sat in The Dawg Pound with the other fans until someone finally recognized it was him. He said he'd wear a big floppy hat to try and disguise himself. Found all that pretty humorous.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : January 23, 2021 1:37 pm
Rusty reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @rusty
Posted by: @sang

In Atlanta, the "Indian" character was known as "Chief Knock-a-homa". 

In the movie "Major League", didn't Bob Uecker as Harry Doyle say that? I should know, I've seen it a million times.

Posted : January 23, 2021 4:15 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@lee  Bob Uecker actually played as an Atlanta Brave for a short while.  I believe I saw him, too ... but he was more memorable in those beer commercials! 

Posted : January 23, 2021 5:08 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

@lee would have to guess Bert Campaneris (if they didn’t have Cesar Tovar😮

Bert flung his bat at Lerrin Lagrow that series

and Herb Washington, PR, cool - picked clean off 1st base by Mike Marshall

Posted : January 23, 2021 5:12 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@lee  Bob Uecker actually played as an Atlanta Brave for a short while.  I believe I saw him, too ... but he was more memorable in those beer commercials! 

I have a baseball card of him from 1963. I think it was Milwaukee though. I wouldn't pay what people are asking for it though.

Yeah the Miller Lite commercials were great. Remember that sit-com he was in, Mr. Belvadere? That was funny too.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lee

Posted : January 24, 2021 8:55 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @stephen

@lee would have to guess Bert Campaneris (if they didn’t have Cesar Tovar😮

Bert flung his bat at Lerrin Lagrow that series

and Herb Washington, PR, cool - picked clean off 1st base by Mike Marshall

Yep, Campy did it. I didn't know it. Good trivia. And I couldn't recall who threw the bat at LaGrow. Not as bad as the John Roseboro incident but still...

Posted : January 24, 2021 9:05 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@lee "Uke's" self-deprecating humor was endearing!  He hit a home run off of one of the pitching greats (Koufax, I think) and worried that that would keep him out of the Hall of Fame!  As great as he wasn't, he was no Marv Thornberry!  😉 

Posted : January 24, 2021 9:25 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

“Chiefs Braves & Blackhawks will be untouchable”

Not so fast - an online sentence (under the Undefeated label) reads

”Let’s change the name of Atlanta’s baseball team to the Atlanta Hammers”

In the ongoing zealous pursuit of ‘political correctness’, & to memorialize the franchise’s greatest player, this could gain momentum 

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : January 25, 2021 6:34 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Atlanta Brave's mascot, Chief Nocahoma - certainly an actual, real Native American "Indian".  Interesting to hear him tell his story.

Posted : January 25, 2021 8:02 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Awesome, thx Rusty - watta great guy

In a raspy voice at his farewell at Yankee Stadium, a cancer-ravaged Babe Ruth said virtually the same thing as Mr. Walker re, the role of the kids in the national pastime, coming to the games, cheering on their heroes....it shows the timelessness of the game

😜😄gotta disagree tho - as great as Chief Nocahoma was, for us Indians devotees - it’s Chief Wahoo!🤙

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : January 25, 2021 8:32 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

The Brewer was a great mascot when they returned to Milwaukee - when they hit a HR, he’d slide down a slide into a big stein of beer as the crowd roared - mayb it continued right up to covid & no fans - it’d be surprising

Posted : January 25, 2021 9:04 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@stephen Bernie Brewer still slides after every HR, but hasn't ended in a bier stein since they left County Stadium.

images

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 25, 2021 9:50 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@lee "Uke's" self-deprecating humor was endearing!  He hit a home run off of one of the pitching greats (Koufax, I think) and worried that that would keep him out of the Hall of Fame!  As great as he wasn't, he was no Marv Thornberry!  😉 

What was the Marv Thornberry story? I recall something about it and how he was the butt of jokes. And if I recall, he was in one of those old Miller Lite commercials.

Posted : January 26, 2021 8:09 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @stephen

Awesome, thx Rusty - watta great guy

In a raspy voice at his farewell at Yankee Stadium, a cancer-ravaged Babe Ruth said virtually the same thing as Mr. Walker re, the role of the kids in the national pastime, coming to the games, cheering on their heroes....it shows the timelessness of the game

😜😄gotta disagree tho - as great as Chief Nocahoma was, for us Indians devotees - it’s Chief Wahoo!🤙

Watched the first inauguration into the Hall of Fame. And Babe spoke alright, at least I thought. Ty Cobb spoke and was quite thankful to baseball and everything. I was surprised by his "niceness" if you will.

Posted : January 26, 2021 8:14 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@lee  He was the 1st baseman for the 61 (62?) Mets - which, I believe to have the distinction of being the "losing-est" team of all time.  Batting average was around 250?  About 50 or so home runs.  Overall, just an incredibly average player.  His line in those Miller Lite ads:  "I still don't know why they wanted me in this commercial."  Another was, "If I do what I did for (for Miller) for baseball, I'm afraid their sales are gonna go down."  Kind of living, breathing monument to mediocrity!  😉 

Posted : January 26, 2021 9:29 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

speaking of...Happy Birthday, Bob Uecker! Always made Brewers games entertaining, even when they weren't.

Remembering the time Bob Uecker encountered a furry convention in Pittsburgh:
https://milwaukeerecord.com/sports/remembering-the-time-bob-uecker-encountered-a-furry-convention-in-pittsburgh/

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 26, 2021 5:05 pm
Rusty and Sang reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Interested to see if Schilling gets in the HOF.  I hope not. With his awful public comments I don't think he should get in. I guess it's okay if there is a year when nobody is elected. Doesn't happen often but it has happened before.

Posted : January 26, 2021 5:59 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob  "You wait until it stops rolling around on the ground, then you pick it up" - Uecker on how to catch a knuckleball 

Posted : January 26, 2021 6:28 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @lee

Interested to see if Schilling gets in the HOF.  I hope not. With his awful public comments I don't think he should get in. I guess it's okay if there is a year when nobody is elected. Doesn't happen often but it has happened before.

🤙Looked him up, His #s do compare w/guys who’re in - he (22-6) & the Big Unit (21-6) the greatest since Spahn & Sain in 2001 in AZ

then posted his own 21-6 three yrs later as we won the WS

I’d call him borderline - his much-ballyhooed bloody sock is in the HOF, that should suffice🥴

cool brewmeister info PCBob🤙

The back in the day all time reserve w/the impossible to forget name - coming off the bench for NYK, Harthorne Wingo - RIP 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : January 26, 2021 6:50 pm
Page 33 / 64
Share: