The Allman Brothers Band
MLB: Tampa Bay Rays...

Notifications
Clear all

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays Still in First Place!

1,909 Posts
31 Users
98 Likes
157 K Views
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Maybe we should send this to the WP. Ah, nah. 😊 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : December 19, 2020 6:32 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

RIP Phil Niekro.  Another of my childhood idols.  A friend and I would take the MARTA system out to Atlanta Stadium (Fulton County Stadium) as 12 year-olds on pretty much any weekend game when "Knucksie" was pitching.  I remember that he swung a pretty good bat for a pitcher.  I don't know his batting average, but I saw him hit what I am pretty sure was his only home run.  Thanks for the thrills and memories!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30605849/hall-fame-pitcher-phil-niekro-famous-signature-knuckleball-dies-81

Posted : December 27, 2020 3:53 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@rusty

He was a very good pitcher. Probably border line Hall of Famer which I imagine is why it took a while for him to get in. If you play long enough you are going to amass some stats. But hey, he won over 300 games and if I am not mistaken, nobody has 300 wins and isn't in the HOF. His brother was pretty good too! I can bet the Niekros can be assured that they will always have the record most most wins by two brothers.

And apparently a very good guy. RIP. 

Posted : December 28, 2020 6:48 am
Rusty reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

The seventh HOFer to die this year, the most ever in a calendar year - RIP

yes the Niekros are just ahead of Gaylord & Jim Perry for winningest siblings

Posted : December 28, 2020 10:56 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

There it is - Yu Darvish joins ex-Cy winner Blake Snell, Manny Machado, Tatis Jr et al in San Diego - Yu, 34, only had 76 IP this season, he could be ready to bust out -

oft-injured ex-Indians P Mike Clevinger also in SD - yep, out til 2022 -

another ex-Tribe P, 2-time Cy winner Corey Kluber, also 34, is a FA - Sox might sign him, he lives in Boston in off-season, but he’s missed the last 2 seasons 

but Padres have also signed newest Oriental superstar too - Pads-ChiSox WS, it can’t miss😮 - altho the most recent one, highy-touted Angels P/OF Ohtani, is now off the field & full time DH 

2022 was mentioned - will fans be back by then

will fans ever return to pro sports - I’d thought they’d never be able to absorb the financial hit of lost gate receipts, concessions etc - but I was wrong - no fans just might become permanent, esp w/a new virus loose & poised to kick our butts in 2021 & beyond, vaccine or no vaccine

let’s go Sox

This post was modified 3 years ago 4 times by Stephen

Posted : December 29, 2020 4:49 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@stephen

I have a hard time believing no fans will be permanent. God, I sure hope not! 😮 And for more reasons than just not being able to go to a ballgame! 

Posted : December 29, 2020 8:54 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

I dunno Lee, at the rate it’s going....the more people get used to it, the more no fans/empty stadiums/virtual cheers/boos will (continue to) take hold, it’d seem - 

esp if the new virus spreads as rampantly as some are predicting...

the full return of walkup tickets & vendiz yappin, hot dogs here, getcha peanuts heah to a full house of maskless fans - that’s still years away imo

litmus test Sunday in Buff - they’re all but making their stadium a covid laboratory -  the carefully-computed # of 6,772 fans allowed - to be tested at the door, & when they leave - masks/distancing mandatory - sounds thrilling doesn’t it - our world 2021 

🤙It’s NYD nonetheless & have a great 2021 to all!🤩

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : January 1, 2021 11:06 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @stephen

I dunno Lee, at the rate it’s going....the more people get used to it, the more no fans/empty stadiums/virtual cheers/boos will (continue to) take hold, it’d seem - 

I totally hear ya but I sure hope that isn't true. My thought is that whatever happens down the road, people are going to feel different about things. Whether they feel comfortable about attending games or not. If things ever return to some sense of normalcy some people won't want to go to games. I'll certainly go to a ballgame. Perhaps just me I suppose. 😀  

Posted : January 1, 2021 5:23 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It's a sad time to be a Cubs fan, as I am. Eff the Ricketts. They built this palace-like place in Wrigleyville, drove out some long time businesses, got their own cable network (which I have to pay for even if I'm not a Cubs fan) and now it's time to clean house. Who goes next?

https://sports.yahoo.com/fire-sale-at-wrigley-field-ranking-the-cubs-most-likely-to-be-traded-next-144808730.html

There was an article in The Chicago Tribune the other day about perhaps people would switch their allegiance from the Flubs to the Sux. Now that is over the top. There's no way in hell any baseball fan would do that. I mean, who wants to hang around Comiskey and fear for their lives?

Posted : January 2, 2021 9:31 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Why do you fear for your life at Guaranteed Rate?  The park is right next to the expressway and the 'L' ... parking is plentiful right by the park ... there is no 'neighborhood' there like Wrigley, but at least you don't have Cub fans pissing in your yard....

Maybe it's because you wear your Tigers hat there...... I Dont Know  

Posted : January 2, 2021 11:39 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Cubs fans would’ve migrated toward Comiskey at a guaranteed healthy rate this summer
Luis Robert, Eloy Jiminez, of course Yoan - are ready to join Anderson Abreu & others - as masked ChiSox fans cheer em on 6 feet apart in the safety of their own homes
W/veteran mgr Tony LaRussa, the Joe Biden of MLB, back at the helm, experts say it’s their year

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : January 2, 2021 12:54 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @sang

Why do you fear for your life at Guaranteed Rate?  The park is right next to the expressway and the 'L' ... parking is plentiful right by the park ... there is no 'neighborhood' there like Wrigley, but at least you don't have Cub fans pissing in your yard....

Maybe it's because you wear your Tigers hat there...... I Dont Know  

Perhaps it is a tad of an overstatement but even you have to admit it is in a bad area. For night games you want to get off the train when you get there and then get right back on it to get home.

You are definitely correct about no neighborhood. No bars or restaurants to go to before/after a game. That's part of the fun of Wrigley.

You are right about parking. Obviously better then Wrigley which has none. I like the tailgating atmosphere there before games. That's fun. Their fans can party.

And you are also correct about wearing Tigers regalia. I kind of like the crap I get from Sux fans about that. 😀 Years ago when the Sux let Magglio Ordonez go and the Tigers picked him up people gave me crap about that. If memory serves it was the Sux, not Ordonez that ended that relationship.

As I've mentioned before, I really like going there. Big aisles, great food and hardly any people there. And WAY more affordable than Wrigley. Get in for 10 bucks and sit pretty much anywhere you want to.

Still don't really like being there after dark though.

Posted : January 4, 2021 5:21 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

My daughter lived right on 35th Street a few blocks from the park and the neighborhood there is fine.  Agree it gets a little dicey if you go south a little ways.....

Posted : January 4, 2021 6:19 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Auction for a T206 Ty Cobb. 9 days left and so far it's at $60,000. I don't collect baseball cards but in watching football collectibles I see some of this stuff. 9 months ago we speculated the values and demand for these things to drop. The opposite has happened. Values, demand and realized prices have never been higher. I could post so many eye popping examples for items sold. 

Lee, you have one of these? If not you got 9 days! 😉

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=74688

Posted : January 8, 2021 10:51 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

RIP Tommy LaSorda

https://sports.yahoo.com/remembering-tommy-lasorda-a-man-all-his-own-until-the-very-end-190201071.html

I few years ago I was in Wrigley Field and the Dodgers were in town. I went to the game and we had just walked through the gates and I see this guy that looks like him and I thought, well that could be him and it was. Just walking through the concourse. I wish I had approached him and said something. Sad.

Posted : January 8, 2021 10:10 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Rest in peace, Tommy Lasorda.  To me, he was what baseball was all about.  

Posted : January 8, 2021 10:15 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @nebish

Auction for a T206 Ty Cobb. 9 days left and so far it's at $60,000. I don't collect baseball cards but in watching football collectibles I see some of this stuff. 9 months ago we speculated the values and demand for these things to drop. The opposite has happened. Values, demand and realized prices have never been higher. I could post so many eye popping examples for items sold. 

I really am as surprised by this as you. I saw some stories about this in the media and was shocked. Who has discretionary income these days? So I've sold a few things. The baseball card market has always been sort of fickle. Even some relatively more recent (subjective) cards have something of a market, which I don't understand.

Posted : January 8, 2021 10:28 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @lee
Posted by: @nebish

I really am as surprised by this as you. I saw some stories about this in the media and was shocked. Who has discretionary income these days? So I've sold a few things. The baseball card market has always been sort of fickle. Even some relatively more recent (subjective) cards have something of a market, which I don't understand.

A lot of people have the disposable income.  See the gains the markets had in 2020? 

Not just that, but some businesses have flourished during the covid year while others suffered.  We had a thread last spring about covid widening the economic conditions people live in.

Some collectable message boards I stop by discuss the explosion of prices.  Seems many factors have contributed.  1) some people had more time on their hands and rekindled some of their prior interests 2) some people used stimulus money to buy collectables with the intent to flip for profit 3) there are legitimate investments now which has attracted an entire new group of buyers, not collectors, investors - some people don't even take possession of the items they buy, they leave it at a 3rd party location where they can avoid paying sales tax and it can remain there for sale 4) the top end prices and items get the headlines, but the rising tide has lifted all boats...the ridiculous current price for a PSA8 graded Michael Jordan rookie has also inflated the prices for a common and abundant PSA5 lower graded Jordan rookie.  So while a PSA8 Fleer Jordan rookie might be fetching over $4000 now, people still want that card and can't afford the PSA8 value.  They chase the lower grades and those prices rise.  I paid $450 for a graded PSA8 Michael Jordan Fleer rookie just a few short years ago.  It sells for 10 times that much now.  I should sell, but I'm a collector.  Some people have discussed selling large parts of their collections due to the current prices with intent to repurchase at a later date...when that comes, if that day comes?

Sure all feels like a bubble.  What might provide the needle?  There have been some scandals in the graded card market, some new some old.  Hasn't had much of an impact yet.  You can't even go buy price guide values much at this point.  I can cite so many examples where a given card at a certain condition should be worth say $75-100, but actual sales show it selling for 100-150% of that.  Hard to find deals in this market.

Posted : January 11, 2021 4:53 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

White Sux sign Liam Hendricks. Wow. They could (should?) be the A.L. favorite this year. 😮 

Posted : January 13, 2021 9:56 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah what in the name of Bobby Thigpen is going on out there anyway - at this rate it’s almost a guarantee

nonetheless🙃Mr. Comiskey will be rolling in his grave - in a year when fans would’ve flocked to the south side, all that lost gate-receipt & concession revenue....:lol:

Let’s go Sawx

Posted : January 13, 2021 10:34 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yeah what in the name of Bobby Thigpen is going on out there anyway - at this rate it’s almost a guarantee

nonetheless🙃Mr. Comiskey will be rolling in his grave - in a year when fans would’ve flocked to the south side, all that lost gate-receipt & concession revenue....:lol:

Let’s go Sawx

Yeah but Comiskey didn't care about money. 😛 😋 

Posted : January 14, 2021 8:43 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Let’s go Sawx

Yeah but Comiskey didn't care about money. 😛 😋 

Posted : January 14, 2021 8:51 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Theo Epstein joins the Commissioners Office. Interesting. REALLY makes me wonder if he knew it was time to get out of Chicago. 🙄 

Posted : January 14, 2021 8:53 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Corey Kluber to the Yankees? Hmm, why not?

Posted : January 15, 2021 9:01 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

So this Jared Porter thing is interesting. I just heard about it early this morning and shortly thereafter they fired him.

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-york-mets-jared-porter-sexually-harassed-texts-female-reporter-lewd-photos-chicago-cubs-043940551.html

I'm sure the Mets know what they are doing but I'm curious how this is fireable if it happened a few years before they hired him? I guess they have an employment lawyer or something like that on staff. People send "sexting" messages and that isn't a crime. Maybe because it seems like harassment?

Strange story. And I would assume it is his junk in the alleged photos. If so, that seems like a weird dude.

Posted : January 19, 2021 10:12 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

https://sports.yahoo.com/hall-of-fame-pitcher-don-sutton-dies-at-75-235119607.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9zcG9ydHMueWFob28uY29tL2hhbGwtb2YtZmFtZS1waXRjaGVyLWRvbi1zdXR0b24tZGllcy1hdC03NS0yMzUxMTk2MDcuaHRtbA&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANJf3RXkbgcpOYPictivvtgO5AAQZfIA4Qx3Q6yJp5bCaazkZjkIvbnBfumkDu-tB8GSodZEpod7H4PrTB-xvpHu5JytJamDAcl9SXKS61UCF40VY53zJ7SwciLeAHngnn5ZJkTLOv1ZZv-Iprx4pAGRyCtDG0nKnWDrXvFiiaTo

This is sad. I always thought he was very underrated. Cool that he played with Drysdale & Koufax, all the ways into the 1980s. Never really had what one might call a "huge" season but he was so consistent.

When he played with the Brewers I met him at Tiger Stadium, was very nice and signed a baseball card for me. I didn't pick the best card for him to sign but it is still cool.

Listened to him for years calling Braves games on TBS. Even back then I wondered what the connection was to Atlanta. There's probably a story there.

Anyway RIP, a great pitcher.

Posted : January 20, 2021 9:29 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Farewell to Henry "Hammerin' Hank" Aaron - my first real sports hero.  Saw him play many times at Atlanta Stadium back in the 60's.  I can still hear sportscaster, Milo Hamilton on the radio:  "that drive is going back ... way, way back! ..."  Known for his home runs, he was also a mighty fine fielder - 3 Golden Glove Awards.  Thank you, sir for so many memories!

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/01/22/hank-aaron-has-passed-away/

Posted : January 22, 2021 12:03 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, rough couple of days for WI sports fans - Don Sutton, Ted Thompson, and now Hank Aaron.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 22, 2021 12:07 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Really sorry to hear of Hank's passing.

As far as I'm concerned the legitimate holder of the most home runs in MLB history.

My first game was in '61, Milwaukee Braves vs. the Cubs at County Stadium in Milwaukee. Got to see Hank, Mathews, Williams, Banks that day. Pretty good start of watching big league action.

RIP Mr. Aaron.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : January 22, 2021 12:10 pm
Page 32 / 64
Share: