The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

On this Inauguration Day - Joe Biden is our perfect President

nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Out of all the possible candidates who could have been inaugurated as the 46th President today, I feel America has it's best option.  I wish him strength and health as age being my only continued fear for President Biden.

Sometimes I wish I can bottle the visuals and feelings from a day like today. 

Joe Biden is a lifelong and proud Democrat and I expect him to govern as such.

But I also think he has given every indication his willingness to reach across the aisle, his goal of unity isn't hollow, it's sincere.  He has a unique position being such a creature of Washington with so many long standing relationships and respect from former colleagues I think that makes for good opportunity.  Some further left members of his party are, let's say pessimistic about how successful that can be.  I don't sense the same combativeness that Congressional leadership had for Trump and Obama, at least not yet.  It's day 1 and maybe it won't last, but I think some things could be different this time.

I do think there are a certain collection of Republicans willing to join in although the devil is always going to be in the details. 

I am not going to agree with a lot of Biden's decisions and actions, but I should repeat what others have said, disagreement does not mean we should then disconnect and turn our back.  Disagree on one issue and bury it, debate in good faith and leave your feelings on the table carrying no grudges forward and perhaps common ground or understanding can be found on the next issue, or something in between.

My favorite part of today's activities without any doubt was the benediction delivered by Rev Silvester Beaman.  I know others will have favorite aspects of the day or moments of the ceremony, but for me, I rewound and listened to Rev Beaman's speech twice.  Words to live by.  Words I wish our country could live by.  For just one day if nothing else, I will hope it to be possible.

Topic starter Posted : January 20, 2021 2:21 pm
PorkchopBob and Sang liked
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Yes, good to see that cooler heads prevailed, it shows that people can still put bitter political partisanship aside & wish the new administration well As Americans On Inauguration Day - a day when hope springs eternal 

He has a terrific group of advisors around him, Obama, the Clintons, VP Harris, political allies Pelosi, Sanders etc in the House & Senate

& most important the full backing & whole support of his countrymen on this day moving forward 

maybe the full spectacle w/no militia/big attendance/parade/the glitzy balls that night ..... will return in 2025 

This post was modified 1 month ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2021 3:20 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Talked to a good friend of mine who is fairly anti-liberal and he sounded like a Democrat tonight.

I know for me, I mean Trump was awful, policy wise, I'm closer to Trump than I am Biden, but I couldn't vote for Trump this time and it is actually a relief he is gone.  Like a weight has been lifted.  I am getting this feeling from some of my other friends who typically vote Republican.

Then I was told what social media looks like, ugh, what a mess.  People.  It really is like a Trump cult.  The bickering and fighting I hear about on facebook and stuff.  We'd all be better off without social media it feels like.  Wait...is this social media?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 20, 2021 6:26 pm
Wis608
(@wis608)
Peach Pro

If it would have been another candidate that won I am sure this thread would still read the same. Just insert democratic " name" and the narrative would be the same.

Essentially, the majority of voting Americans vote party and not candidate. Not all but I am sure the percentages are high. I am just surprised this was the best that the Democratic party had to offer to get rid of the piece of work thats been in the White House the last 4 yrs. 2016 on either side was not any better.....pick your poison and what a snake that was elected. Not sure how long Pee Paw Joe will make it mentally and physically. Watching him speak  a times he seems to be lost. Sad.

Like it was mentioned above "He has a terrific group of advisors around him, Obama, the Clintons, VP Harriis." He will need them. All presidents surround themselves with smart people who guide them and are really behind the running and decision making of this county. The President is just a figure head and a temporary employee for 4- 8 yrs then adios!!!

They all talk the talk, but lets see them walk the walk and stop complaining/blaming the prior administration on what they did wrong and just shut up and move this country in proud and dignified manner which was lost in the last 4yrs. The divisiveness started way before Trump was elected, but got worse under him. And that's on both sides folks. SO dont buy into only one party is to blame and the other is innocent. If you believe that you need to put down the Kool Aid.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 21, 2021 8:00 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @wis608

If it would have been another candidate that won I am sure this thread would still read the same. Just insert democratic " name" and the narrative would be the same.

Since I am the one that started the thread I can guarantee you that the thread title would not be the same just with a different candidate.  I'm not a Democrat and in fact never voted for a Democrat POTUS candidate in the general election.  Careful with those broad brush strokes.

The number of candidates I wanted to emerge from the Democrat primary was very limited.  I did not participate in voting for any Democrat candidates last spring, but I could've been ok with somebody like Hickenlooper or Howard Schultz , Bloomberg or Klobuchar.  They all have plenty I don't prefer in a candidate but they also have some palatable positions and attitudes.

With Biden, I said what I said because I expect him to steer the ship mostly straight and be inclusive of those that differ from him.  Had it been a younger candidate, or a candidate with something to prove, a name to make for themselves with an agenda to ram through or something drastically different than America has been used to I would worry.  The only worry I currently have about Biden is his age and health, hopefully, assuming he keeps his health I think we are in good hands for the next 4 years.  There are not many other candidates I would say they were "perfect" for.  It's not just that it is anyone but Trump, it's the fact it was Biden I think gives us a shot, for some of us, to unify.  Not every candidate has that capability.

Then, like I said, I hear about the people on facebook and it's like the guy doesn't stand a chance - then the country doesn't stand a chance.  If we can't get better as a people under a President like Joe Biden, it's never going to happen.  I'm hopeful, for this time, for this place, Joe gives us the best shot.  But we have to want to do it.

To oversimplify I believe I have heard the Dem and Rep voting bases make up roughing 1/3 each of the voter turnout and the final 1/3 are the independent "swing" voters.  That might not be exactly correct, but I don't think a "majority" of Americans votes party either.

I do agree that the President can be viewed as a figurehead.  The country and the process is bigger than one man or woman, bigger than the President.  The President does set the tone and lays out the narrative to govern by.  And for one day, yesterday, and hopefully going forward the next 4 years, Joe Biden remains the 'perfect' person to do this in a less combative, less hostile, less partisan way than we have conducted business in the past.

I haven't drank any Kool Aid in many many years.  If you know me, you know I am not a fan of either party or our two party system.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 21, 2021 9:18 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

I know what you're saying - there would have been a lot more push back if it was a younger, less-established candidate. Republicans in the capitol have known and worked with Biden for years, there is a rapport there already. If it was Harris or Buttigieg, you'd have a lot of work to establish relationships and trust.

I was just glad to have a civil press conference. No blatant lies was a plus. I'm sure it won't always be so cordial, but it's been two weeks since the capitol was stormed and there's been barely a peep from the last administration because it was barely a functional administration. That's unheard of.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 21, 2021 9:54 am
nebish liked
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

With President Obama and Trump, both faced resentment from Congressional majority/minority leadership.  Some might say with Obama it was because of his skin color.  I won't say that, I think his lack of experience, the fact he was a Junior Senator and now elevated to a position above career Senators I think created resentment for Senate Republicans.  Obama was very intelligent and confident threatening the egos of some of these Republicans.  And Trump obviously is a very abrasive person so no surprise that Schumer or Pelosi were going to be defensive and less than friendly towards him.

Biden is different.  For now.  Generally liked by most everyone serving on Capitol Hill.  Politics are fickle and so are politicians, so ultimately I don't know what that will get us.  I will remain hopeful for now.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 21, 2021 11:02 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

As fate would have it it's fortunate that Biden's earlier runs for President were unsuccessful. If he was a past President he wouldn't have run in the past election. At this time, Biden is exactly the type person we need.

"Y'all know the Fire Marshal...the cat that can't get the job as a policeman." Duane Allman

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 21, 2021 1:15 pm
nebish liked
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

One week later, I'm losing optimism.  On that day, he was the best candidate.  In the 6 days that have followed through executive actions and agency memorandums I mostly see policy off a partisan checklist.  Sure, it's been one week of a 4 year term, but of action has taken place.  Good will gets burned fast, I'm not seeing any bridges so far.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 26, 2021 10:33 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

24 hours later my "losing optimism" has turned into lost optimism. 

There will be no unity.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 27, 2021 10:26 pm
Share: