NASCAR 2021

92 Posts
3 Users
13 Likes
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Re: Bowman  

Logano had some interesting remarks about how Bowman’s team clearly made perfect adjustments on that last pit stop for him to dominate the restart and run for a few laps. That if it would’ve gone on a long run Bowman would’ve been toast, but that Bowman’s team adjusted and strategized perfectly. 

Much of Logano’s comments were technically above my head, but really shows how intense and strategic this sport is. When you really dive into NASCAR it is much more than what meets the eye and a big part of why I love it. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by cmgst34

Posted : April 23, 2021 11:20 pm
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @cmgst34

I have a love-hate relationship with the suoerspeedways. 

Love the speed and intensity. HATE the random giant wrecks that take out half the field. 

There have been some plate tracks / super-speedways where I am just amazed that they don't wreck.  We don't always get the big one.  There have been a few races were they went the whole way, literally inches off eachother's car all race long and not wreck.  Now that is special.  I mean I like some wrecks too, but give me a clean race at a 2.5 mile track as fast as they are going, that is something to see!

Posted : April 24, 2021 12:40 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

luckily I picked the winning team and manufacturer, or this would've been an fantasy disaster this weekend. 

Posted : April 25, 2021 9:31 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

luckily I picked the winning team and manufacturer, or this would've been an fantasy disaster this weekend. 

Yup I bumped you to third place, first place in my sights now.  She, being our current first place holder, watched the race here today, was pretty bummed about using Hamlin on such a poor finish for him.  That upside down Lagono footage was pretty crazy!  Glad there weren't too many more incidents and glad there was no "big one"

Posted : April 26, 2021 12:19 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Something about the Kansas track I like.  I like this race although it is strange to not have the spring Kansas race to be a night race.

Not many night races this year.  Guess TV doesn't want it?  There has only been one scheduled Saturday night race so far this year and not counting the All Star Race, only 3 more Saturday night races on the schedule then 3 Sunday night races.  Sunday before Memorial Day and Labor Day are typical Sunday night races, Las Vegas will be a new addition to Sunday night.

Posted : May 2, 2021 1:15 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Yup. Kansas is a great track. Underrated. 

So too is Texas. They can go FAST at Texas. I’d live the playoff final to be at Texas some year. 

great race today. Though Brad was gonna give Busch a run for his money there at the end but Brad got caught up. 

anyway, Busch is our family favorite because the kids live his M&M scheme, so we were happy here. 

Posted : May 2, 2021 9:02 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Might remember this race as the one in 2021 where 18 and 4 came back into the mix!

I like it when Kyle is running well, but what I really like is when he gets pissed off and takes on that 'heel' position to borrow a phrase from wrestling.  Personality and personality conflicts add to the intrigue on track.  He's not quite as rowdy as he used to be though.

Was a fun race.  Funny how often times the best car in the race doesn't finish where they should (Larson) but that's racin!

Posted : May 2, 2021 10:54 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Very interested to see if this weekend’s Austin races are any good. 

I’m a big road course fan — Watkins Glen is my favorite race of the year.  But Austin a very much an F1 course. Lots of turns. Good for cars that can brake really late into the turns and accelerate really fast out of the turns. 

I hope this isn’t a snooze fest. I hope it’s raucous and hard driving and fun. 

Posted : May 21, 2021 5:43 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yes, I am very excited to watch the action today.  Qualifying coming up then cars on a new track for them, I have high expectations for a fun race! 

Posted : May 23, 2021 10:10 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

I watched the trucks race. It was actually pretty good. Was down to the last couple laps then the winner pulled away, but it was fun racing. 

Posted : May 23, 2021 2:06 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well...it wasn't a snooze fest that is for sure.  A lot of drama from the very beginning with all the tire confusion.  Pretty nutty race.  The scanner audio and post race comments by the drivers who were involved in wrecks are pretty telling.  Listening to XM after the race I heard Harvick, Truex and KU Busch specifically.

Posted : May 24, 2021 3:27 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Yes. I’d say the made a mistake running that. I know they wanted it in on Sunday, and I know they thought the rain would be neat. But what a mess it turned out to be. 

Posted : May 24, 2021 4:55 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

One of my favorite racing days tomorrow. 

Indy 500. And the 600 in Charlotte. 

And it’s gonna be chilly and rainy here, so I even have a built-in excuse to sit around watching tv all day. 

I do LOVE Labor Day in Martinsville, but Memorial Day weekend’s double of big races is fun. 

Posted : May 29, 2021 9:59 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Think I saw that the COTA race was the least watched non-delayed NASCAR race of the year so far, with the only exception being the delayed Saturday night Martinsville race that was run on Sunday.  Wonder what it was about that race...I tend to like road course races and there are a bunch of them upcoming on the schedule, 4 of the next 9 points races are on road courses. 

I really enjoy the length of the 600 as a one-off every year, but it is strange that the race has lacked some action and drama with some even calling it routinely boring as one driver simply dominates the field on more than one occasion there.

Posted : May 31, 2021 10:19 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

CRUSHED IT today at Fantasy, and didn’t move an inch in the standings. 

guess everyone had the same idea of how this would turn out. 

fun race. I do love the road courses!!!

Posted : June 6, 2021 9:02 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

You certainly had a good week, gained 100 points on me!  Still some ground to make up back there in 3rd, but there is plenty of opportunity.

If you are on nascar fantasy and go to "live scoring" you can see real time points for the teams in our league.  And then if you click on the team name you can see who they have in the league with bonus picks.

4 of our teams did not submit a new lineup, meaning they just continued with the drivers from last week and had no bonus selections.  3 of those 4 teams beat my lineup.  One is a complete zombie team who has stopped playing.  I envisioned drivers in my lineup such as Larson, Hamlin and Harvick going for the race win and following the typical pit before stage end road course strategy and then my drivers like Brad, McDowell and Buscher would be going for stage points.  That didn't happen with the lap 10 comp caution and then pit road closing before anyone anticipated it would made drivers like McDowell and Buscher less valuable and Harvick ended up continuing to suck...man thought on this track that he has so much experience and success on he would have a break-through.  Brad had great timing getting on pit road before that last caution, would've restarted P2, but had pit violation.  McDowell got spun out of a top 10 finish in turn 11 right before the final straight away!  Ugh, the fantasy frustrations of not finishing well!

Anyway, I like road course racing too.  Good thing because there is a bunch of it now!

Posted : June 7, 2021 9:19 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

LOVED this all-star race. 

I usually don’t care for the all-star race. But this was great. 

Texas is my favorite oval, for Indy and NASCAR. Can just go fast. 

and watching Brad and Larson battle it out was great. And that pass with Brad, Larson, and Elliott with maybe 5 to go was fantastic. 

Loved it. 

Posted : June 13, 2021 10:03 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I definitely liked some of the passes and the racing up front.  As for the format, it was fine, I honestly couldn't keep track of what was happening so I just watched the green flag laps and didn't worry about what the inverts or stage finishes meant.  I think it would be cool if they raced long enough segments and if Goodyear had a tire that fell off enough, that teams would really want to get tires, to pit out of necessity rather than mandate, but they can make whatever rules they want, it changes every year anyway.

Posted : June 14, 2021 9:15 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Fun race. Didn’t hurt that I bet on Bowman at 19:1. 

Had Busch too. 

we were listening on the radio driving home from vacation, and I told my wife “bet on the #2 and #3 finishers, brutal.”  Two seconds later, the announcer starts yelling, I turn up the radio, and Bowman wins. Crazy. 

Posted : June 26, 2021 11:02 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'm active on a betting forum during football season, winning with Bowman after Larson blows tire on final turn taking the checkers is what they would call a "luckbox"!  I love it though!  I depend on luck....there are so many variables that are impossible to handicap.  Professional handicappers hate when people win with luck, the result that should happen is the only acceptable outcome or it isn't worthy.  I'm not a professional handicapper and I probably win just as many bets that maybe I shouldn't due to some unforeseen circumstances, but that's is the way it goes sometimes.  That sure would've made for some exciting and unexpected moments in the final seconds of yesterday's race!

I've only bet on NASCAR twice, both the final championship races of the season.  If Ohio's House and Senate could ever figure out what the hell they want to do maybe I would bet some more NASCAR.  Just have a local who doesn't like taking NASCAR bets really.  After the first race I bet when Truex won the Championship he told me "no more NASCAR".  I asked him the next year and he said "sure".  But I'd rather do that stuff online honestly.

Hopefully Ohio will get us in person and mobile sports betting this year.

I don't think I would take such longshots myself, yesterday and today I would bet Byron or KY to win.  I don't normally look or know NASCAR odds, I just assume they are small dogs.

Posted : June 27, 2021 3:00 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

I guess luck comes in bunches!

I had Kyle Busch today. 

Posted : June 27, 2021 9:17 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

That was pretty wild...I had KY in my fantasy lineup...and benched him.

His car was probably the best there, in that sense the best car won the race, but man how it unfolded.  So end of stage 2 they are going to try and "pry" the stuck shifter out of 4th gear.  Will it come out and then not go into any other gears, will there be internal damage to the shift forks and sliders?  They can't get it out of 4th gear, so he has to take off pit road in 4th...crew has to push the car to get it to go, he slips the clutch like crazy to get it to go.  Restarts?  Ha!  Restarts!  No way he could get up to speed on a restart.  He comes back down pit road (push start, slip clutch like mad again) and runs around the track rejoining the field on the restart way behind the pack taking the green in 30th position officially.  If there would've been one caution, if he would've had to pit for any reason, he'd be done, wouldn't have been able to get back up to speed with the rest of the cars.  But as it turns out, he is able to ride around in 4th gear the entire time, no restarts, no pitting and everyone else in front of him runs out of gas or has to pit for gas.  That was some sequence of events.  All this happens while I thought I made the best decision I could with the information and variable available to me at the time and put him in my garage.  That plus the fact my other fantasy drivers mismanaged their pit strategy made for an utterly awful fantasy day.

I feel like Byron's crew chief lost him the race.  When the came out of the final pit stop at stage 2 end, they told Byron to go hard go hard, while other cars were talking fuel conservation.  Then with like 10 or 15 laps to go they tell him to max save.  No way would that work.  Had he known to save from the beginning could he save 3 laps?  Don't know, those are long laps there, but definitely feel they did him a disservice.  If there was another car the 18's equal Sunday, it appeared to be the 24.

Posted : June 28, 2021 7:45 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

How do they determine which drivers are unavailable to use in fantasy?  I figure it’s the favorites. Seems like a lot more drivers are unavailable this week than normal. 

Posted : July 11, 2021 12:52 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

How do they determine which drivers are unavailable to use in fantasy?  I figure it’s the favorites. Seems like a lot more drivers are unavailable this week than normal. 

Every driver in the race can be put into the lineup as long as you haven’t used the driver more than the maximum 10 times. 

Posted : July 11, 2021 4:25 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

@nebish 

ah. Thanks. Wish I would’ve read the rules. Apparently I’m burning through dudes at a prodigious rate. 

Posted : July 11, 2021 5:33 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

That was some good KU and KY racing!  Pouty post race Kyle has made his return. 

Not a good showing for spectators in ATL after packed houses at Nashville, two Povono races and Road America. 

Posted : July 11, 2021 7:15 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

@nebish 

thought all the same things as you. Though the stands did seem to fill in after what appeared to be a VERY sparse crowd at the start. 

I was shocked at how many folks were at Pocono. 

great race. And, I’m on a freakin roll. Had Kurt at 35:1. 

I don’t really have a favorite driver anymore, but if I do he’s one of them. Glad to see him win. I’m from Pittsburgh, so always like seeing a Ginassi car win. 

Kyle’s act is great for the sport. And he hams it up. His “irritation” didn’t even seem remotely real tonight. He was playing the part . . .

announcers were like, “this is Elliot’s track, but lots of Kurt fans here.”  I’m thinking.”not quite, they’re all just rooting against Kyle.”

Anyway, another good race in a very good NASCAR season. Best season I can remember in a long time. 

Posted : July 11, 2021 9:31 pm
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

COTA in the rain and curbs that come apart in Indy.  Some of these new road courses sure has provided NASCAR with some damage control to do post race.

Thought the racing at Indy was pretty good until all hell broke loose at the end.  They had been repairing curbs a couple times throughout the raise.

I thought Denny Hamlin's post race comments about being wrecked by Briscoe were about as reasonable and level headed as any veteran has said about a young driver who took him out.

Posted : August 16, 2021 1:11 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

@nebish 

fully agree with everything you say. 

I was thinking before the disaster that this had been a nice race. That kind of soured it. But so be it, fix it for next year. You know, I love road courses so I hope they make it work. The Indy oval didn’t really work for these cars anways. 

Took my boys to a baseball game in the afternoon and DVR’d the race. Came home and had the whole thing, then just before the final green they preempted it and sent it to MSNBC so the recording just ended. 

Had to read about the last two restarts and result!!!

watched a documentary about the Dale Sr. / Jeff Gordon rivalry on FS1 tonight. It was good. 

I still can’t make it through shows showing Dale’s death without getting teary. I loved that guy growing up. I still remember is watching that final race in our apartment in college. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by cmgst34

Posted : August 16, 2021 11:03 pm
nebish reacted
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

What a race!  I always like Michigan. Wide open and crazy without the “big one” happening like at the Superspeedways. 

Posted : August 22, 2021 8:29 pm
nebish reacted
Page 2 / 4
Share: