NASCAR 2021

92 Posts
3 Users
13 Likes
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

One week from tonight we get some warmup races!  Next Tuesday the Busch Clash, next Thursday the Duels and Sunday Valentine's Day we get the Daytona 500!

Lots of changes this year.  Should be a fun as always.

A few of us will be doing the fantasy racing again.  Danb always plays, not sure where he's at these days.

Anyone else want to play or talk some racin'?

Posted : February 3, 2021 12:12 am
DanB
 DanB
(@danb)
Prominent Member

logged in just for this 

Posted : February 7, 2021 8:17 am
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I just check the fantasy league at NASCAR.com and it's still there, all the players from last year are still listed so I assume it is ready to go.

If anyone else would like to join just post here and I will help you get signed up. 

Posted : February 7, 2021 5:52 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

We will have 8 playing for sure. Could be 9 or 10, although only 2 forum members.  

@cmgst34 started good last year but didn't keep up with it. 

Posted : February 13, 2021 12:54 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Yeah. I’ll join. Hopefully this year I’ll keep up. Last year was a mess but I’ll try harder to stick with it. 

and I LOVE road courses. So this is a year built for me. 

Posted : February 13, 2021 11:14 pm
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Fantastic!  If you can't log into the league from last  year you can make a new entry and I can delete the old one.

Some changes this year in the bonus picks with more potential for bonus points.

I think there are 7 road courses or pure road courses + roval type courses total.

I'm watching xfinity replay now to get warmed up.  Tomorrow Daytona Day! (hopefully weather cooperates)

Posted : February 14, 2021 12:36 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Disappointing day with the wreck (16 cars) at lap 15 and the weather.  They are hoping for a window to race again at 9pm.  Had two friends over I hadn't seen for quite a while for the race.

Just sucks when the one day, the one race where the general public might be interested in the sport and you get a day like this.

We'll see if they get going again tonight.

Posted : February 14, 2021 9:43 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

they got it in.

Michael McDowell.  Not a super popular driver (praise christ), but he's paid his dues. Solid driver on plate and road courses, cool for him.

Posted : February 15, 2021 1:35 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Real bummer with the long delay.  My boys were all fired up in the morning, put on their Kyle Busch shirts and were ready to go, then they get only 14 laps before bed.

I ended up falling asleep after Stage 1.

I gotta say, these superspeedway races are becoming a real mess in my mind.  Too many giant wrecks basically ruining the races.  I like them because of the speed, and I like the strategy of 500 mile races, but watching half the field go out in every single one of these races is annoying.  But, that's the way it goes . . .

I liked the Clash on the Daytona road course, so hopefully this weekend's races are good too.

Posted : February 15, 2021 2:13 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Kyle Busch fan!  That is cool.  I like Kyle just because other people don't.  I honestly don't dislike any of them, but I love the good vs bad type thing (in the minds of the fans) like back when I watched wrestling as a kid the heel vs the face. 

Plate races are really fun I think because literally anyone has a chance to win it.  I have been amazed how sometimes a Daytona or Talladega race they can go nearly the entire time less than a foot away from each other and not wreck and then other times it is just a wreck-fest.  Having "the big one" so early Sunday really put a damper on things...and then literally things got damp!

Feel pretty good to escape with a decent fantasy day from that race.  My friend Salsa, she finished last and will likely be the first to stop playing.  She used to be the biggest NASCAR fan I knew (Bobby LaBonte fan), but now just plays the league out of some obligation as I wouldn't let her not play.  We have 3 girls in the league.  Crowster really wants to do well, but never seems to.  Howard Stern's Wife as you might guess, also female.  She works at a sandwich shop near some of the team race headquarters.  Kyle Busch has come in and ordered.

Speaking of that...how about the drivers that left the track and went to nearby fast food drive-thrus and put it on twitter or instagram?  I don't know what "social media value" means ,but it was said that McDonald's got $52,000 in social media value when Ross Chastain posted his visit there during the rain delay and Panda Express got $40,000 in value when Chase Briscoe posted his trip there.  What the heck is "social media value"? 

Posted : February 16, 2021 2:11 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

This weekend...it's Bristol baby...on dirt!

Any interest?

Posted : March 26, 2021 1:05 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

I wasn’t excited when I saw it on the schedule. It seemed like a silly gimmick. 

But I caught Trucks practice on tv  for about 20 minutes this afternoon and thought it was great. Now I’m definitely interested. 

I think this season has been really good so far. 

Posted : March 26, 2021 10:50 pm
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The season has been very interesting if nothing else in terms of outcomes of races.

I hope to watch most of the heat races Saturday night and the truck race.  And of course the Cup race Sunday.  Can't remember if I recorded any of the Friday action, probably won't have a chance to catch up if I did. 

The curiosity has to be peaked (or is it piqued) for this race.  It just has to be a fun one to watch no doubt.

Posted : March 26, 2021 11:08 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thankfully I did record the Friday practices.  Since the Saturday action was a bust I have it on now.

The mud that came up on the trucks during qualifying tonight before they called it off, wow.  Weather looks a little iffy for tomorrow too, sucks.

Posted : March 27, 2021 9:01 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

F19C3B55 5226 4481 BD30 8E7ACB8F1523

before they called off Truck qualifying and all the other activities. 

typically dirt cars don't run windshields for a reason. 

Posted : March 27, 2021 11:00 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tennessee got hammered with rain and hail overnight. Reports of flooding at Bristol campgrounds. Maybe they would've been able to dry an asphalt track but I don't think this dirt track will be up for racing today.  

Posted : March 28, 2021 8:01 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

https://twitter.com/jayski/status/1376156689615978496?s=21

Posted : March 28, 2021 10:10 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Nebish-

Are you into other motor sports?

I watch a ton of racing but definitely NASCAR Cup and then NASCAR Trucks are my top 2. Xfinity is fine but I like Trucks better because it’s so different than Cup. 

I watch F1 because it’s on on Sunday morning and there’s not much else to do. Watching the cars perform is cool but the races themselves are a snooze. That being said, today’s race was AMAZING. Hamilton fought off Verstappen for the last 5+ laps in super close racing and it was beautiful. Don’t see Hamilton in a dogfight that often and he showed us all why he’s so damn good. 

Follow Indy very closely. Almost as much as NASCAR. I think it is very good and underrated racing. 

I’ll watch the sports car series when they pop up on tv. The GT, GTLM, etc. races. They’re on tape on CBS Sports Network a lot. I’ll watch for a while just to watch the cars perform and some of the racing. It’s fine. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by cmgst34

Posted : March 28, 2021 8:40 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@cmgst34

that is cool you are so into various racing.  Me, I really only watch NASCAR because it is easy to consume and I can get involved with fantasy. Plus I have friends who watch so we can talk about it.  

I will try and watch some trucks or Xfinity cars occasionally since it is connected to the Cup series (same tracks, drivers move up). 

Have a friend who is really into super cross dirt bikes. I watch that occasionally but not really into it. I've casually run down a dirt and paved drag strip, but it's been a long time. I know some people who build drag cars and Jeeps. My friends and I build off-road Jeeps and buggies. I used to be somewhat into the extreme rock crawling. A few used to do it for competition. These days I just enjoy trail riding. 

Posted : March 29, 2021 9:05 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bummed I can't watch the truck Bristol race today. Hopefully I'll catch most of Cup at 4:00 assuming that track is raceable. 

Posted : March 29, 2021 9:06 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I really like the idea they tried to pull off and I found the race entertaining and worth my time, but...I'm not sure these cars are suited to run on a high bank dirt track.  They already announced they are doing it next spring in Bristol.

As for fantasy, it's like anything else...how the people that sometimes pick teams based on uniform colors and they end up winning - for the second straight week we had a player who did not put a new lineup in for the race, meaning their previous weeks lineup was used and they had no bonus picks, and for the second straight week a person without a new lineup won.  All while I picked drivers who should've had good equipment and expertise on this kind of track only to be riddled with wrecks (Bell, Briscoe, Ky Busch, Blaney).  Too many names with a B perhaps!  Both of the winners the last two weeks were girls.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, it is however discouraging to be beat by players who essentially aren't even trying.

Posted : March 29, 2021 11:16 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

I’m just glad I was paying enough attention to my fantasy team to pull Logano out of my garage in Stage 2. 

I thought the races were fine. I’d be cool with one or two of them a year. 

Good point about the banked turns. Never thought of that. 

The most fun part for me was watching those guys drive on the in-car cam. They were definitely working!

Posted : March 30, 2021 9:43 pm
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I love the concept of putting these cars on a dirt track, but I wonder if a dirt track in existence could be used?  Problem would be supporting all the haulers, cars and fans since most of those tracks are small. 

I got a hole to fight out of. I usually do really well in the fantasy but man this year has been rough. Think good picks but poor circumstances. Should be fun trying to play catch up though. 

Posted : March 30, 2021 10:45 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

First night races coming up!!!  Love it, in large part because my boys are so stoked to get to stay up a little late and have some popcorn and watch before bed.  

My biggest NASCAR memories are as a kid watching the Saturday night races with my Dad, it was always a big night. We didn’t watch all the day races. But we never missed a night race. 

Posted : April 6, 2021 11:14 pm
nebish reacted
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Tough loss for Hamlin. He dominated . . . Until he didn’t. 

I figured he lost his tires, but he just said that wasn’t the problem. Car just couldn’t perform on long runs. Whatever that means. 

Real good race, regardless. 

Posted : April 11, 2021 8:08 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Nice fantasy day for me too

Posted : April 11, 2021 8:08 pm
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thought it was good race.  Worked out better for me they raced on Sunday instead of Saturday, I was home from a trip in time to catch about half of stage 2 and the remainder of the race.

Would've loved to see Blaney and Truex both try and win that race.  Blaney was working on passing Hamlin before that final caution and then the pit road issue for him ended his chances.  Was good racing.  NASCAR is snake bit this year with weather delays and postponements. 

CMGST34 P2 in the league! I've had a few really really poor races, but will be fighting for it when it comes to and end.  My niece is crowester ll and current leader.

Posted : April 12, 2021 3:47 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Jimmie Johnson makes his Indycar debut on Sunday. 

Unfortunately it’s at the same time as NASCAR. But Indy races are short, so I’ll watch both. 

my son has been fired up for weeks to see “48” race in Indy. He’s only 7, and knows Jimmie as “the best ever,” so I think he’s gonna be disappointed and confused when Jimmie is middle of the pack tomorrow. 

Posted : April 17, 2021 10:20 pm
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

We both had big weeks gaining on the leader cmgst!  I thought both Martinsville and Richmond were good compelling races for the win.  I knew Bowman's car was good, but I honestly didn't think it was that good. 

'Dega this week!! 

Posted : April 21, 2021 10:03 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

I have a love-hate relationship with the suoerspeedways. 

Love the speed and intensity. HATE the random giant wrecks that take out half the field. 

Posted : April 23, 2021 11:15 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: