The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

I'm KInda Sorry I Voted for This Guy ...

Page 2 / 3
robslob
(@robslob)
Peach Extraordianire

@chain:  Well it appears that it actually has happened:  Legalization in New York.  All it takes now is for Cuomo to sign off on it and they say he is expected to do so.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/york-state-lawmakers-vote-legalize-001841196.html

"New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is expected to sign the measure that creates a regulatory system to oversee the cannabis industry, spanning from massive grow operations to corner cafes allowing outdoor marijuana smoking and vaping." 

Smoking outdoors at a corner cafe?  Hell we don't even do that in California!  Go NY!

This post was modified 2 months ago by robslob
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2021 9:58 am
Rusty liked
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

Looks like Mexico might even legalize - for many of the reasons that I have been touting for years now!  Felicitaciones, Mexico!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/30/americas/mexico-cannabis-legalization-intl-latam/index.html

Here in the deep south (especially, Georgia it would seem), things continue to run backwards.  New restrictions on voting?  Why not just reinstate Slavery while you're at it?

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/politics/new-voting-law-in-georgia-draws-mixed-reactions/85-90541588-017a-4a00-9bd7-1799c57dad1d

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 31, 2021 10:15 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

Mexico legalizing ganja is another piece to the puzzle in the US Fed decrimilization IMHO. This is just my opinion but I think as more States jump on board with legalization, and Cannabis companies make more money, they will have more powerful lobbying power in Washington.

Money speaks with our politicians and I think the more states that legalize the more pressure on the FEDs to reschedule and eventually decriminalize. JMO of course.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2021 11:32 am
Rusty liked
Chain
(@chain)
Peach Extraordianire

It’s official, Governor Cuomo signs legislation legalizing adult use cannabis in New York State!

Sadly, it appears home cultivation may have to wait until the 18 months for set up of dispensaries too! So typical of New York State to over complicate an otherwise easy process.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2021 1:25 pm
PhotoRon286
(@photoron286)
Peach Extraordianire

@chain Medical patients can grow a full year before rec.  

Jeanne & I plan on getting med cards so we can set up the garden again.

Some of the bill shocks me though.

Right now you can publicly possess three ounces.

You can possess FIVE POUNDS at home?

Still can't grow one plant but a five pound stash?

Medical now includes smokable flower and the one month supply limit has been doubled to two months and pretty much anyone can qualify for a card now.

I'll take it, it's a lot better than nothing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2021 1:58 pm
PhotoRon286
(@photoron286)
Peach Extraordianire

@stormyrider I was in school when the rockefeller drug laws were unleashed on the state.

What garbage.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2021 2:06 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

In Illinois, only medical patients can grow, and I think it is limited to 5 plants or something like that.  You cannot smoke in public places - so no outdoor cafes, etc. - presumably not even in your yard or on your deck if people can see it ... but at least it is legal.

You have to pay to get the medical card, and there might be an annual fee - but you pay 2.5% taxes instead of the 35% for recreational use.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2021 3:35 pm
Chain
(@chain)
Peach Extraordianire

@photoron286

I considered the same thing Ron as my wife is a two time breast cancer survivor and so could possibly pursue a medicinal card.  Thing is, I'm about 20 years ahead of the state with regard to home cultivation if you get my drift.  As are thousands of other otherwise law abiding, tax paying citizens of New York...lol.

I too am amazed at some of the details contained in this legislation.  I never thought home cultivation would ever be included.  As I said earlier in this thread, had Cuomo not gotten caught up in the numerous scandals now plaguing him, this final legislation would be far, far more restrictive and not include home cultivation.  He is severely weakened right now and all of Albany knows it.  It's the only reason he didn't steamroll this negotiation and get everything he wanted.

Interestingly, this final bill is almost exactly the same as the one introduced and sponsored by Senator Sorvino three years ago.  A big thumbs up to her and her co-sponsor in the Assembly for drafting and fighting for a legalization bill that many feel is the most progressive and balanced in the entire nation.  

I've heard her interviewed in the past few days and she sounds like a very bright and compassionate individual.  She spoke a great deal about how this legislation was crafted and written three and half years ago with input from many, many knowledgeable and determined people.  

There's a long way to go before this legislation is actually implemented, but as of this morning, it's legal for all intents and purposes.  Finally, New York has ended a horrific stain on its history.  

This post was modified 2 months ago by Chain
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2021 5:10 pm
cyclone88 liked
Brendan
(@brendan)
Extreme Peach
Posted by: @chain

It’s official, Governor Cuomo signs legislation legalizing adult use cannabis in New York State!

Sadly, it appears home cultivation may have to wait until the 18 months for set up of dispensaries too! So typical of New York State to over complicate an otherwise easy process.....

Unfortunately NJ left home cultivation out of the bill as well, although I think I read that some lawmaker was pushing to include some sort of provision. I haven’t been able to follow it as closely as I’d like lately. 

5 plants would be great. Any respectable grower should be able to net well over a pound of dried flower from 5 plants plus all the trim for butters and oils, etc.

Or so I’ve heard...

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2021 5:26 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Peach Extraordianire

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/New-York-is-latest-state-to-legalize-recreational-16066520.php

As of today recreational marijuana is legal in New York state.  BIG step towards changing the Federal stance IMO.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2021 2:33 am
Chain
(@chain)
Peach Extraordianire

@robslob

With New York and soon Mexico, you would think Biden would get his head out of his ass and get rescheduling done. In my opinion it’s a political no brainer at this point.  Very minimal risk as the states still ultimately make the decision.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2021 4:58 am
Rusty liked
robslob
(@robslob)
Peach Extraordianire

@chain:  Yeah, I like Joe and I voted for him.  But you are correct, in regards to marijuana his head is stuck way up inside his rectum.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2021 9:51 am
Rusty liked
Chain
(@chain)
Peach Extraordianire

@robslob

The same for me...I voted for him and am actually surprised at some of the more progressive agenda items he’s rolled out already.   But he’s in the dark ages when it comes to cannabis.  I’m waiting for the progressive members of the party to call him out on his continued stonewalling on the issue. As well as the media given he and Harris stated they were going to push for rescheduling...

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2021 4:15 pm
Rusty liked
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @stephen

Just hoping the mass murders in Atlanta & Boulder don’t portend another uptick

Since then a shooting spree in Orange, Calif leaving 4 dead, incl a 9 yr old boy

...& now, not 10 miles from where the George Floyd murder trial is being held, another black motorist shot & killed by police, & angry crowds are forming 

meanwhile Khari Sanford continues to rot away in a Wisconsin jail cell after more than a year

never pictured the MN/wiscnsn upper Midwest as such racist strongholds - but they are, ie the Nicole Franklin Poole types etc

long hot summer ahead up there, esp if they find Chauvin innocent

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2021 8:41 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Just hoping the mass murders in Atlanta & Boulder don’t portend another uptick

never pictured the MN/wiscnsn upper Midwest as such racist strongholds - but they are, ie the Nicole Franklin Poole types etc

Yep, the Milwaukee police officer who shot Jacob Blake seven times leaving him paralyzed, is back on the streets in his uniform after police said he did nothing wrong

meantime the latest video shows 2 NC cops punching & beating the sh!t out of a black man as he lays on the ground

AOC says the murder of a black man last week in MN by a 26-year police officer was ‘no accident’ as police are saying

current Wash Post headline reads ‘Biden Making Trump Presidency Seem Like Golden Years Of Unity’

the media is fixated w/trashing the American presidency no matter who is occupying the WH - I understand, it’s what they do - shit sells & they gotta make a living

but it don’t call it journalism or informing people

I call it dividing & confusing people, & harming the republic

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2021 9:49 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

I grew up in WI and the truth is there are areas where it can be pretty prejudiced. Same thing you see in other northern areas like upstate NY and MA, or eastern OR and WA. The region just hasn't had the diversity (the Polacks make fun of the Norweigians), so a lot of suburban and rural white folks think themselves living in an ideal bucolic bubble whose taxes go to pay for the problems in Milwaukee and Madison. They just don't know, outside of what they see on the news. But it's changing, as cities revive places like Green Bay have attracted more jobs and more diversity. Knowing your neighbor, breaking bread, goes a long way to breaking down peoples' prejudices - especially the next generation.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2021 10:51 am
Stephen liked
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

There will never be any end to it - the shooting of that 13 year old by Chicago police was a stone-cold execution imo - he had stopped running and had his hands up when he was murdered 

these types of cases should never happen 

less preventable are the mass murders - you don’t know when/if someone will snap, like what happened at the FedEx facility in Indianapolis - 8 dead, others wounded 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 16, 2021 5:02 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Strange turn this thread has taken.  All the officer involved shootings aren't the same and I don't think should be lumped together.

Obviously George Floyd was not a shooting and in my opinion Derek Chauvin murdered George Floyd and should be convicted of such.

Jacob Blake's shooting I think is justified based on the circumstances.  I do not think 7 shots is justified, but the fact police used lethal force is.  They had already tried to taser him, he is noncompliant, tries to flee in what police think isn't his vehicle with a child in it and then has a weapon.  I don't think that officer should've been charged or removed from the department.

Kim Potter made the biggest mistake of her life and mistakes like that have huge consequences.  I believe charging her is appropriate although I do not know the proper charge to levy.  One thing that is not being reported widely enough, so I listened to CNN for a few hours last night in the shop and they were talking about this case quite a bit.  Not one host or guest mentioned that Duante Wright had a warrant for his arrest.  Instead it was all questioning why police were trying to get him out of the car.  That is the reason.  And Wright resisted arrest.  A few days earlier on Chris Cuomo's radio show he suggested "you know where the guy lives, let him flee and arrest him later".  How naive, as if it is so easy.  So Potter must face the consequences for her dire mistake, but I do not fault her or her partner for trying to arrest and use a taser on Wright.

The Chicago body cam footage is available for both the officer who shot Adam Toledo and the partner's body cam.  That was not a "stone cold execution" as Stephen said it was in the post above mine.  Responding at 2:40 am to shots fired and chasing a fleeing suspect who had a gun, that officer was in the right to be ready to use lethal force.  Slowing the video down, like instant replay, maybe you can see he through the gun away before turning with hands up.  I don't know if officer Eric Stillman's statement of the event has been released or reported, but I suspect what he might say is he did not see Toledo throw the gun and as he turned to face him Stillman believed Toledo was about to shoot.  Toledo is raising his arms at the time the shot was fired, that can be seen, and should've been seen by Stillman as well.  But he shot.  And he may've been within his legal authority as a police officer to do so given the situation.  If you watch the entire 9 minute video of Stillman and then the entire video of his partner, it's pretty clear his emotion after the shooting.

So the fault has moved in every officer involved shooting now.  No longer is the suspect accountable for their actions of having a warrant and resisting or having a gun and fleeing - all which escalates the police's reaction.  Sometimes the police are wrong and sometimes they are not.  But now it's always the police were wrong first and maybe we just forget about why or what led up to it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 16, 2021 8:32 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Nebish, I sort of see them lumped together in the sense that all the victims are people of color, often unarmed - virtually every time 

I agree that the specific circumstances of the shootings differ 

but that kid had his hands up in the air - that to me is inexcusable, just as shooting Jacob Blake 7 times was & those NC cops beating up that person who was down on the ground...& all the other cases of police brutality against people of color ...

...that’s why they seem lumped together to me - just finished reading an article about the 2014 killing of 14 year old Tamir Rice in Cleveland - seemingly opened fire on the kid w/out just cause, but the cops went unpunished, & now his family wants the case reopened

....am not saying it’s this way across the board everywhere - am certain/would like to think some/many municipalities have open & positive civic-minded lines of communications w/their police depts - am mindful of the high stress that goes w/being a cop

finally, yes the thread took a strange turn🤨✌️😊 - I did that, do it often, just a wayward meandering mystified mind I guess😮🤔🤙✊

This post was modified 1 month ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 16, 2021 11:34 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @nebish

.... Kim Potter made the biggest mistake of her life and mistakes like that have huge consequences.  I believe charging her is appropriate although I do not know the proper charge to levy.  One thing that is not being reported widely enough, so I listened to CNN for a few hours last night in the shop and they were talking about this case quite a bit.  Not one host or guest mentioned that Duante Wright had a warrant for his arrest.  Instead it was all questioning why police were trying to get him out of the car.  That is the reason.  And Wright resisted arrest.  A few days earlier on Chris Cuomo's radio show he suggested "you know where the guy lives, let him flee and arrest him later".  How naive, as if it is so easy.  So Potter must face the consequences for her dire mistake, but I do not fault her or her partner for trying to arrest and use a taser on Wright. ...

Responding to my now hijacked and repurposed thread:  Yes, Kim Potter screwed the pooch big-time.  Most all law enforcement officers holster their firearm and taser on opposite sides of their bodies just to prevent such mistakes.  Allow me to make an incredibly sexist observation (my thread!).  I'm completely down with equal rights for all sexes, genders, races - name it and I'm down with it.  But I have to wonder if sending a 118 pound female to subdue and arrest a larger male doesn't "invite" the perp to resist and fight back.  Incredibly sexist of me to wonder that if the arresting officer had even been approximately the same size as the offender might he had complied.  Does putting a person with a less physical presence not create an environment/atmosphere to where the offender might decide to resist - therefore creating the necessity for the officer to render force?  Just posting fodder for discussion! FYI - I don't personally blame Joe Biden for this or any other recent police shooting ... but he has certainly back-pedaled on his language pertaining to such.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 16, 2021 4:04 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @rusty

.... Kim Potter made the biggest mistake of her life and mistakes like that have huge consequences.  I believe charging her is appropriate although I do not know the proper charge to levy.  One thing that is not being reported widely enough, so I listened to CNN for a few hours last night in the shop and they were talking about this case quite a bit.  Not one host or guest mentioned that Duante Wright had a warrant for his arrest.  Instead it was all questioning why police were trying to get him out of the car.  That is the reason.  And Wright resisted arrest.  A few days earlier on Chris Cuomo's radio show he suggested "you know where the guy lives, let him flee and arrest him later".  How naive, as if it is so easy.  So Potter must face the consequences for her dire mistake, but I do not fault her or her partner for trying to arrest and use a taser on Wright. ...

Responding to my now hijacked and repurposed thread:  Yes, Kim Potter screwed the pooch big-time.  Most all law enforcement officers holster their firearm and taser on opposite sides of their bodies just to prevent such mistakes.  Allow me to make an incredibly sexist observation (my thread!).  I'm completely down with equal rights for all sexes, genders, races - name it and I'm down with it.  But I have to wonder if sending a 118 pound female to subdue and arrest a larger male doesn't "invite" the perp to resist and fight back.  Incredibly sexist of me to wonder that if the arresting officer had even been approximately the same size as the offender might he had complied.  Does putting a person with a less physical presence not create an environment/atmosphere to where the offender might decide to resist - therefore creating the necessity for the officer to render force?  Just posting fodder for discussion! FYI - I don't personally blame Joe Biden for this or any other recent police shooting ... but he has certainly back-pedaled on his language pertaining to such.  

It could.  Not sure we can know the answer to that question.  If a person wants to resist and flee, would the presence of stronger and more menacing physical police officers make it less likely?  Hard to know what goes through the minds of different people and why they do or don't do things.   Potter had 26 years of experience...unfortunately her partner was in training and likely not in the best situation to know how to best offer help in the situation.  Not sure the name, sex or weight of the partner.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2021 8:04 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Nebish, I sort of see them lumped together in the sense that all the victims are people of color, often unarmed - virtually every time 

but that kid had his hands up in the air - that to me is inexcusable, just as shooting Jacob Blake 7 times was & those NC cops beating up that person who was down on the ground...& all the other cases of police brutality against people of color ...

...that’s why they seem lumped together to me - just finished reading an article about the 2014 killing of 14 year old Tamir Rice in Cleveland - seemingly opened fire on the kid w/out just cause, but the cops went unpunished, & now his family wants the case reopened

....am not saying it’s this way across the board everywhere - am certain/would like to think some/many municipalities have open & positive civic-minded lines of communications w/their police depts - am mindful of the high stress that goes w/being a cop

finally, yes the thread took a strange turn🤨✌️😊 - I did that, do it often, just a wayward meandering mystified mind I guess😮🤔🤙✊

It deserves and probably should have it's own thread, but with such low activity I will just go where the discussion might be taking place.  Rusty may or may not mind.

According to the Washington Post there have been over 5,000 officer involved fatal shootings since 2015.  They do state, and I do not dispute, that people of color are shot at a disproportionate rate, however looking at the raw numbers over that timeframe 2,883 whites have been shot and killed by the police while 1,496 blacks were killed by the police and 1,052 hispanics.  As a percentage of population blacks and hispanics are shot at a higher rate, but if I didn't know better, according to the national news, the only people I would think are shot by police are minorities.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2021 8:10 am
Rusty liked
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

It deserves and probably should have it's own thread, but with such low activity I will just go where the discussion might be taking place.  Rusty may or may not mind.

According to the Washington Post there have been over 5,000 officer involved fatal shootings since 2015.  They do state, and I do not dispute, that people of color are shot at a disproportionate rate, however looking at the raw numbers over that timeframe 2,883 whites have been shot and killed by the police while 1,496 blacks were killed by the police and 1,052 hispanics.  As a percentage of population blacks and hispanics are shot at a higher rate, but if I didn't know better, according to the national news, the only people I would think are shot by police are minorities.

I think I bitched, moaned and groveled enough to voice my original complaint.  Use this space for anything you like.  😉

My reason/rationale for questioning the ... physique of the arresting officer (Kim Potter) actually goes back to discussions following several other police shootings.  It just seems that they go for their guns too quickly (in some occasions).  After the Atlanta (Wendy's) event, and one of the others that soon followed (so many, it's hard to keep up), we collectively (some of us) pointed out that a couple of second-string middle school footballers would've been able to wrestle the perp to the ground without guns or tasers.  I was being a tad cynical in pointing out that the recent officer was a small-framed female.

In the U.S. Marines (probably Army, too), soldiers are required to participate/pass in PT (Physical Training) sessions a couple of times a year.  As tough as Basic Training was, it's easy for anybody to get a little soft with no reinforcement activity.  I believe that police officers - regardless of gender or physical size - should undergo ongoing PT - including wrestling and other hand-to-hand combat training and with persons larger than themselves.  I also believe that new techniques and tactics should be developed and practiced.  In Japan, "cast nets" are often used to render unruly types.  Maybe some sort of immediate knock-out gas could be used?  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 18, 2021 10:10 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Your posts are hardly ever like that Rusty (groveling etc) - sometimes one topic seems to seamlessly slide into another - this was particularly abrupt tho (reefer>gun control?🤔😮), my bad🤙✌️

Re your last graf, tasers or stun guns would seem to be enough to dissuade> disable>disarm criminals

but they aren’t

the cast nets used by the Japanese sounds like an idea worth considering - knockout gas would probly trigger a lotta lawsuits claiming brain injury etc

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2021 12:00 pm
Rusty liked
Jerry
(@jerry)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @rusty

Looks like Mexico might even legalize - for many of the reasons that I have been touting for years now!  Felicitaciones, Mexico!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/30/americas/mexico-cannabis-legalization-intl-latam/index.html

Here in the deep south (especially, Georgia it would seem), things continue to run backwards.  New restrictions on voting?  Why not just reinstate Slavery while you're at it?

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/politics/new-voting-law-in-georgia-draws-mixed-reactions/85-90541588-017a-4a00-9bd7-1799c57dad1d

Warnock, Osoff, Coke, MLB, all kneejerks that i guess didn't actually READ the new law.  The article had a lot of errors about the law and what it does.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2021 1:35 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Peach Extraordianire

@photoron286

I considered the same thing Ron as my wife is a two time breast cancer survivor and so could possibly pursue a medicinal card.  Thing is, I'm about 20 years ahead of the state with regard to home cultivation if you get my drift.  As are thousands of other otherwise law abiding, tax paying citizens of New York...lol

Oddly enough, I have been approached by a state agency asking if I would be opposed to letting them grow marihuana on some of my acreage. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2021 1:44 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @jerry

@photoron286

I considered the same thing Ron as my wife is a two time breast cancer survivor and so could possibly pursue a medicinal card.  Thing is, I'm about 20 years ahead of the state with regard to home cultivation if you get my drift.  As are thousands of other otherwise law abiding, tax paying citizens of New York...lol

Oddly enough, I have been approached by a state agency asking if I would be opposed to letting them grow marihuana on some of my acreage. 

What was in it for you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2021 9:53 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Peach Extraordianire

@photoron286

What was in it for you?

Not enough as i obviously told them no.  Too many old hippies around here, plus this IS where the Pop Festival was. I find a lot of artifacts around the creek after a heavy rain.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2021 7:23 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

@photoron286

What was in it for you?

Not enough as i obviously told them no.  Too many old hippies around here, plus this IS where the Pop Festival was. I find a lot of artifacts around the creek after a heavy rain.

You spend time at the racetrack when it was open?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2021 10:53 pm
theotherbrothers
(@theotherbrothers)
Peach Head

the onus is on him to not be a hypocrite

Not sure it's wise to expect that of any politician.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 25, 2021 6:51 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: