File This Under, "Well, Duh!"

13 Posts
5 Users
6 Likes
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thousands possibly contracted Covid on commercial flights.  Who wouldothunk that people packed into a narrow tube for hours at a time could pass on the virus?

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-09-24-20-intl/h_fe1fc9e4d1e3b6d4fb9aafa41e9c8a0f

Posted : September 24, 2020 9:10 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

And how many of them would've been on those flights had they been told from the outset that the virus was airborne & deadly not just "like the flu" by a president who knew very well that was true & that masks were a critical part of preventing contagion.

Posted : September 24, 2020 11:27 am
Randall and Rusty reacted
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

I brought this up back in March and the reply was..."Some people have to fly"!..."You can't stop people from earning a living"! I believe I used the term "Flying petri dish" in reference to airplanes.....

Well, there ya go

Posted : September 25, 2020 12:45 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

I was on a plane two days ago (and twice in June). Maybe some people can get it on a plane and some people don’t. Life goes on. 

Posted : September 25, 2020 8:49 am
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

The CDC data confirms there were COVID exposures on planes. Exposure is not transmission. That's not saying transmission didn't occur, the CDC admits they can't completely trace that. We've known anecdotally COVID was on commercial flights, the CDC is simply confirming it.

The CNN article reported the lede without the story. Here is a more detailed look at the data and study:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/nearly-11000-people-have-been-exposed-to-the-coronavirus-on-flights-the-cdc-says/2020/09/19/d609adbc-ed27-11ea-99a1-71343d03bc29_story.html

We've known COVID could spread from unsafe air travel. US travelers have known flying is a risk and air travel has significantly dropped since late February. Air travelers started wearing masks on planes as early as March. Airlines began selling every other seat in an attempt to mitigate the spread and remain active. In many regions there have been 2-week quarantine required of recent air travelers. If you have to travel by air, you do it as safe as possible.

In guidance for the public, the CDC acknowledges that viruses do not spread easily on planes because of the way the air is filtered, but it also emphasizes that air travel means being in proximity to people for long periods and encountering frequently touched surfaces on planes and in airports.

The CDC’s guidance for all kinds of travel is still that staying home is the best way to protect yourself and other people from the virus.

Michael Carome, the director of health research at the consumer organization Public Citizen, said the CDC numbers demonstrate that flying poses at least some risk of being exposed to the virus. Public Citizen has called on the Department of Transportation to mandate that masks be worn on planes.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 25, 2020 9:51 am
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

If you have to travel by air, you do it as safe as possible.

If you have to go to Church.....

Posted : September 25, 2020 10:13 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

We need "convertible" jetliners - especially since Covid can't be transmitted outdoors.  😉 

Yes, Nebish - life goes on ... for about 10 days or so for some who contract the virus.  We lost a member (and a close personal friend) just last week.

People gotta do what they gotta do ... but do they really HAVE to do it?  

Please be safe, please be considerate.  

Posted : September 25, 2020 10:15 am
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@bigv no one has to go to church. You can easily do that remotely.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 25, 2020 10:20 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

People gotta do what they gotta do ... but do they really HAVE to do it?

My wife's cousin moved from the northwest to the southeast in late March for a new job. She did not want to fly, but the drive (3200 miles) was too extensive and expensive to do on her own. She masked up, wore gloves, and hand sanitized and stayed away from people for a period after she arrived. You do what you can.

A co-worker of my wife passed away from COVID last week as well, left behind an 8 yo daughter. You do what you can to keep yourself safe, weigh the situation, because the virus is not fair.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 25, 2020 10:31 am
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

Posted by: @porkchopbob

@bigv no one has to go to church. You can easily do that remotely.

No one has to fly, you can drive

Posted : September 25, 2020 10:37 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

No one has to fly, you can drive

There are many reasons in which one would have to fly rather than drive. Such as you can't drive or the distance, time, or cost is too great. My great uncle Bob died 2 weeks ago at the age of 100, I would have liked to have made the trip back to see him or make the small funeral.

I do know many Florida snowbirds who flew back north during the Summer when numbers here skyrocketed. They felt fleeing the area, even on a plane, was a reasonable risk compared to staying. I'll keep you posted on how many come back in the Fall/Winter.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 25, 2020 10:49 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

To be completely fair - passengers could have/might have contracted the virus on the ground in the terminals.  

Since I suffer from severe Coronaphobia, I must say that watching football on television - limited seating in the stands (I've seen what actually looks like a pretty fair amount of folks in some of these bleachers) - the real problem is probably in the congested areas: restrooms, concession stands, beer lines and the vomitoriums.  

Again, healthier (especially thinner) people might have some resistance.  I know several rather smug 18 year olds (relatives) who suffered only a day or two of headaches and the inability to smell and taste.  Others aren't so lucky.  

Russian Roulette with a Chinese (OUCH!) virus!  😉 

Posted : September 25, 2020 11:01 am
Sang and PorkchopBob reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

These have been the eternal questions:  What do we need to do vs what do we want to do vs what should we be allowed to do?  Nobody has the exact answers, not now, not ever.

Posted : September 25, 2020 10:27 pm
Share: