The Allman Brothers Band
What guitar is Duan...

Notifications
Clear all

What guitar is Duane using on the Final Note?

12 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I am assuming the cover pic of Duane is taken at the Painter's Mill show. If so, the guitar he is pictured with looks like a goldtop. Maybe it is the lighting. He is playing straight it seems. In the booklet there is a pic of him playing slide and that guitar looks like a burst.

Wasn't he using the tobacco burst then?

Posted : October 21, 2020 4:37 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

The photo is not from the Painter's Mill Show. The guitar in the photo is the cherry burst. I assume he was playing the t-bac in October.

Duane played slide in standard on "Dreams", "Mountain Jam", and (I think) "Don't Keep Me Wonderin'". I don't think he added the SG until Spring 1971 or so.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 21, 2020 5:21 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Here's a color photo from the same show the cover photo was taken.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 21, 2020 5:31 pm
StratDal reacted
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks. I knew it wouldn't take long to get an answer. Play on Duane...

Posted : October 21, 2020 6:07 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@steved the cover photo topic came up a few months ago, and I did some quick research

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 21, 2020 6:26 pm
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbobfor

No that you mention it. Sheesh, I did read that. Things ain't like they used to be.

Thanks PCBob for your insight.

Play on Duane.

Posted : October 22, 2020 5:30 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

UPDATE: apparently Duane is playing Dickey's gold top on the cover of The Final Note.

It's not Duane's gold top (missing the poker chip) and it's not Duane's cherry burst (appears to have grover tuners instead of Klusons - hard to tell in B&W). So maybe Duane broke a string and had to borrow Dickey's guitar.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 9, 2020 10:50 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Last time I saw Duane play and man did he play was in High Point, North Carolina at the college on College Ave in 1971 well after the Fillmore Shows. Duane was playing the Tobacco Burst Les Paul with his first name on the back of the body in old frets. Gee I can't remember what he used on slide this morning. I saw him use the SG on slide at least once and I figured it was the same SG Dickey played for a few months in 1970. Juicy Carter played sax and Dickey played a Gold Top Les Paul and I think it was the one he plays One Way Out on Eat A Peach with and it has just tremendous tone. During the 5 man band Dickey had moved on to a light sunburst LP with zebra pickups the few 72 shows I saw. It had a different tone than the Goldtop used in 71.  Dickey has said he got the Goldtop called Goldie that was his number one live for 20 years in 1974 at a Pawn Shop in Manhattan.  It had a great tone too. Better than the zebra pickups LP which was a beautiful guitar. First time I saw Dickey with Goldie I got a chance to ask about the pretty one with zebra pickups to the soundman and he told me Dickey couldn't keep it in tune. Dickey went through several Les Pauls before Goldie.

I overheard Duane in 1971 telling a fan I guess it was that he was thinking about building a hot parts guitar which likely would have a Telecaster body and a Stratocaster neck. Interestingly Alan Paul said Duane played that kind of a hybrid guitar for some months I think in Hourglass. Probably would have had pickups out of a Les Paul.

Indeed I think the story goes when he fell in love with a sunburst he saw another player with he talked him into trading for Duane's Goldtop he had in 1969 and into 1970. But he had an equipment guy switch the pickups from the Goldtop to the burst because Duane liked them better but supposedly the musician with whom Duane traded with wasn't aware when he got Duane's Goldtop he had the same pickups he had been using in the burst:) Sneaky.

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : December 9, 2020 11:19 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

This seems to fit stories I've heard from time to time or read about Duane's guitars. 

It seems likely the tobaccoburst was his main guitar on final note and possibly the SG on slide.

Posted : December 12, 2020 7:27 am
Wooddog
(@wooddog)
Trusted Member

Man, what great info! Thanks! Didn't Duane and J. Geils do some trading on a tobacco burst? There was a cool picture of them together. I very well may be wrong. I'm loving The Final Note more each day. Hell, it's his last gig. What else can be said? To all, a great weekend!

Posted : December 12, 2020 12:14 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Wrong you are not wooddog, there is such a photo - there’s 2 actually, I printed them out years ago - Dickey is in the background in one of them, it’s either an indoor show or outdoors at night - J Geils is wearing those dark rimmed glasses he wore then -

have always wondered if they were from late in the Boston Common show - BO mentions the J Geils Band, seems like a natural segue would’ve been to bring guitarist J onstage then - he’s on the set list as sitting in on SMonday - an interesting mystery in ABB history :shaddap:😮✌️😊

unsure about the specific types of guitars they’re playing

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : December 12, 2020 2:30 pm
Wooddog
(@wooddog)
Trusted Member

There is one of Duane's audio interviews (radio station) where he kind of rips the current state of pop music, specifically an old boy named Andy Kim (who wasn't far from a one hit wonder) and then says "We like J. Geils."

Posted : December 12, 2020 7:40 pm
Share: