Watch New Edit of Prince’s ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’ Solo

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/prince-while-my-guitar-gently-weeps-solo-edit-rock-hall-of-fame/

In 2004, Prince participated in an undeniably iconic musical moment at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony when he appeared onstage alongside several of his fellow music legends for a tribute to George Harrison. (Prince, himself, was also inducted that day).

Harrison, who was being posthumously inducted into the Hall of Fame three years after his passing, was the focus of a tribute performance of “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” from Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, Dhani Harrison and Marc Mann, among others. A few minutes into the sequence, Prince turned up with his guitar and proceed to wail away on it in an absolutely epic guitar solo.

Recently, a new edit of the performance made its way onto YouTube from Joel Gallen, who produced the original broadcast. Gallen had long sought to edit a new cut of the performance, and the result emphasizes Prince’s solo more than the original edit did … which means, therefore, that there’s even more amazing badassery from the Purple One to behold.

Said Gallen:

17 years after this stunning performance by Prince, I finally had the chance to go in and re-edit it slightly – since there were several shots that were bothering me. I got rid of all the dissolves and made them all cuts, and added lots more close ups of Prince during his solo. I think it’s better now. Let me know what you think. Joel.

After doing his thing with the guitar, which clearly impresses Dhani and the other musicians sharing the stage, Prince simply finishes, tosses his guitar to somebody offstage, and saunters backstage as if nothing had happened. It’s an image and scene as exemplary of Prince’s singular presence as you could find, really.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : May 4, 2021 8:31 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Definitely remember that!

Posted : May 5, 2021 8:45 am
Share: