ttb in Saratoga

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
redlegs
(@redlegs)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Derek Trucks is a man at the height of his powers! I'm too young (55) to have seen some of the greats at their peak (Duane,dickey,jerry etc.) but I'm blessed to be able to see Derek so many times (dtb,abb,ttb) and feel fortunate to be in the crowd every time. I posted here a couple years ago that I thought he was still improving and I still feel that way. It's fucking crazy how talented he is. whole band was smoking hot, new material is really good and I get to see them 3 more times this month(Vermont and red rocks 2). it's good to be back at live shows to say the least. anybody else at spac?

Posted : July 5, 2022 1:46 pm
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member

I saw them in New Haven last night, and they CRUSHED.

They did a nice Bell Bottom Blues, but the next song was Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad, and Derek went OFF. Gabe also did a nice "Jessica" teaser. To further please any ABB fan, they did a monstrous "I Walk On Guilded Splinters."

For me, the highlight was the 5-song run of the first of this summer's TTB albums, Crescent. Those songs are very good on record but of course were expanded live. 

Derek is indeed at the height of his powers, and this band somehow gets better and better. 

Posted : July 7, 2022 10:30 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

I saw them in NH the night before the SPAC show. I'd have to say it wasn't the best TTB show I have seen (over 20) , but the bar for that is pretty high. It was still a great concert.  Pasaquan was a highlight. Hear My Dear, Splinters, Midnight in Harlem (of course) also blew me away. Gabe's band was the first warm up - I liked them a lot.

Hopefully they will do their December stint at the Orpheum again - can't wait for that. 

Posted : July 7, 2022 5:31 pm
Chain
(@chain)
Noble Member

Speaking of "Pasaquan," did they extend it a bit in a live setting?  I love this song but wonder why on the recorded version there isn't a horn section solo.  For instance right before or after the drum solo near the end.  

As a buddy pointed out, and I agree, this tune eventually takes on that Miles Davis kind of vibe and so horns just seem fitting in this section.

After I heard this song for the first time I felt is was the perfect vehicle to let the horn section let loose and so guessed they'd do exactly that when performing it live. So I'm curious if they did.  If not, I'm sure they will at some performance.

Posted : July 7, 2022 5:46 pm
MartinD28
(@martind28)
Famed Member

Posted by: @stormyrider

I saw them in NH the night before the SPAC show. I'd have to say it wasn't the best TTB show I have seen (over 20) , but the bar for that is pretty high. It was still a great concert.  Pasaquan was a highlight. Hear My Dear, Splinters, Midnight in Harlem (of course) also blew me away. Gabe's band was the first warm up - I liked them a lot.

Hopefully they will do their December stint at the Orpheum again - can't wait for that. 

I think a lot depends upon set lists. I've seen off the chart shows & seen one that was lukewarm. For me it comes down to set lists, and a friend that was at that one show agrees. He saw them a few nights later for several shows at the Ryman & said the shows were off the charts.

I'm seeing them in a few weeks & looking forward. Have never seen Los Lobos live - so that ought to also be a treat.

Posted : July 7, 2022 6:05 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Agreed

for me, specifically, how much Derek and also Derek on slide makes it for me. I like all the songs and the band is always spot on. 

don’t get me wrong - I enjoyed the show. A lot. It wasn’t in the “best  show ever” category. Even though we want every show to be like that, it’s not realistic. They played unreal, otherworldly shows often enough that my expectations are quite high. 

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by stormyrider

Posted : July 7, 2022 7:37 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Haven't seen them  so far this year but I've always enjoyed the shows. Some better than others but all I've seen were way better than average. 

Derek is one of the best guitarists out there today. Probably the best slide player out there. He is very gifted indeed. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 8, 2022 7:04 am
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member

setlist from New Haven, CT:

1. Signs, High Times

2. Do I Look Worried

3. Bell Bottom Blues

4. Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad (This is where the show took off. Derek really ripped this up, and Gabe's soloing was great too)

then the "I Am the Moon: Crescent" album in its entirety:

5. Hear My Dear

6. Fallin' (This song was AWESOME - lots of love given to the horn players here)

7. I Am the Moon 

8. Circles Round the Sun (big Miles jam at the end)

9. Pasaquan

10. Just Won't Burn (great Susan slow blues)

11. Part of Me (This really fired the crowd up. Derek is an underrated rhythm player)

12. I Walk On Guilded Splinters (This was MONSTROUS)

13. I Wish I Knew (great vocal solo spots)

14. So Long Saviour

15. Space Captain (Alecia's dad guest on keys)

Excellent show. Derek was nice and loud in the mix, and the Pasaquan was properly epic. 

Posted : July 8, 2022 11:53 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Re: Derek as an underrated rhythm player. I wholly agree, and he’s rather unique on rhythm style too. And, speaking of rhythm playing and TTB, I think this band has been a great vehicle for him playing fun rhythm pieces. 

I enjoy him playing lead as much as anyone, but I don’t get too pissed on songs that aren’t “his” because we get a chance to see one of the greats playing rhythm and that’s nothing to be bummed about!

Posted : July 8, 2022 5:15 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I'm in Virginia. Haven't been to New York City since the Brothers which was after Covid hit big time but we didn't know that until later. 

Really like the new album. I Am The Moon is extra nice!! 

I'll see them when they get down this way. 

Porkchopbob needs to do an animation of this interesting line up. 

Hadn't watched it in months. Forgot how good it is! Those three guitar players are pretty good I say:)

Posted : July 8, 2022 6:01 pm
VTAB
 VTAB
(@vtab)
Estimable Member

Pasaquan live was incredible at VT show last night. Yeah they jammed, smoking..

Posted : July 10, 2022 2:37 pm
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member

YouTube is filling up with a lot of very nice recordings from this Wheels of Soul / "I Am the Moon" tour!

Posted : July 10, 2022 3:28 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Listened to SPAC on the archive - great show. It seemed to have more of the 'X" factor than Gilford, or it could have been just me.

Pasaquan has consistently been a highlight. 

Posted : July 11, 2022 12:44 pm
Chain
(@chain)
Noble Member

Posted by: @vtab

Pasaquan live was incredible at VT show last night. Yeah they jammed, smoking..

Nice...I might just have to see if there's a youtube clip of this show.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Pasaquan just demands to be jammed out in my opinion...

Posted : July 11, 2022 3:53 pm
Share: