Favorite Southern Rock albums

17 Posts
9 Users
3 Likes
allmanfan21
(@allmanfan21)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Well, I was just watching a Youtube channel called Sea of Tranquility, a music discussion channel. Pete Pardo is the guy who runs it, and throughout the month of June, he listed 30 of his favorite Southern Rock albums, and I also did the same, but tried not to have the exact same albums on my list. I watched each day, and tried not to pick the exact same album as he did on each day. It's only the top 2 spots that we had the same albums, because those 2 couldn't be denied. And I didn't really rank the ones in my list, Was just thinking in the moment. Here's both his & my lists. Let me know what you think. I'm sure there's others that could be included as well. He did mention some honorable mentions, including live albums, but those aren't included here.

His list:
#30: Atlanta Rhythm Section - Champagne Jam
#29: Gov't Mule - Dose
#28: The Black Crowe - The Southern Harmony & Musical Companion
#27: 38 Special -Special Forces
#26: Doc Holliday - Doc Holliday
#25: Charlie Daniels Band - Million Mile Reflections
#24: ZZ Top - Rio Grande Mud
#23: Allman Brothers Band - Brothers & Sisters
#22: The Outlaws - Ghost Riders
#21: Point Blank - Point Blank
#20: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets
#19: Blackfoot - Strikes
#18: Hydra - Hydra
#17: Atlanta Rhythm Section - A Rock & Roll Alternative
#16: Allman Brothers Band - Seven Turns
#15: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping
#14: Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach
#13: Blackfoot - Tomcattin'
#12: The Outlaws - The Outlaws
#11: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Nuthin' Fancy
#10: Marshall Tucker Band - Marshall Tucker Band
#9: Gov't Mule - Gov't Mule
#8: Molly Hatchet - Molly Hatchet
#7: The Outlaws - Hurry Sundown
#6: Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' With Disaster
#5: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors
#4: Allman Brothers Band - Idlewild South
#3: Blackfoot - Marauder
#2: Allman Brothers Band - Allman Brothers Band
#1 - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced

My List:
#30: Blackberry Smoke - The Whippoorwill
#29: Georgia Satellites - Georgia Satellites
#28: The Outlaws - The Outlaws
#27: Allman Betts Band - Bless Your Heat
#26: Whiskey Myers - Mud
#25: Bishop Gunn - Natchez
#24: Drive By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera
#23: Charlie Daniels Band - Fire On The Mountain
#22: Marshall Tucker Band - Carolina Dreams
#21: Allman Brothers Band - Where It All Begins
#20: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Nuthin' Fancy
#19: Black Oak Arkansas - Black Oak Arkansas
#18: Preacher Stone - Preacher Stone
#17: Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' With Disaster
#16: 38 Special - Wild Eyed Southern Boys
#15: Jive Mother Mary - The Long Odds
#14: Wet Willie - Keep On Smilin'
#13: ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
#12: Marshall Tucker Band - Searchin' For A Rainbow
#11: Blackberry Smoke - Little Piece Of Dixie
#10: Gov't Mule - High & Mighty
#9: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors
#8: The Black Crowes - Amorica
#7: Allman Brothers Band - Idlewild South
#6: Ozark Mountain Daredevils - Ozark Mountain Daredevils
#5: Blackberry Smoke - Like An Arrow
#4: 38 Special - Tour De Force
#3: Marshall Tucker Band - A New Life
#2: Allman Brothers Band - Allman Brothers Band
#1 - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced

Posted : July 2, 2022 3:02 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I don't see At Fillmore East, the best live album, on either list. He has Gov't Mule debut album ahead of Eat A Peach. Obviously they are not ranked best to least best because as much as I like Gov't Mule they have NEVER released an album that is in the same league as Eat A Peach and neither has TTB, Marshall Tucker, The Outlaws or Molly Hatchet. Eat A Peach is one of the best rock albums in any type genre and has sold over 2 million copies. 

I assume he didn't put his list together ranking best to least best either. And it would take a lot of thought to do that. 

Posted : July 2, 2022 9:57 pm
Jack_Frost reacted
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Grinderswitch missing from both those lists. Nice to see Wet Willie on yours.

Not sure it's specifically "southern rock" but Alex Taylor's "Friends And Neighbors" would be on my list. I'd have a couple Elvin Bishop albums on mine too.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : July 3, 2022 12:54 pm
Jack_Frost reacted
MartinD28
(@martind28)
Famed Member

Posted by: @oldcoot

Not sure it's specifically "southern rock" but Alex Taylor's "Friends And Neighbors" would be on my list. I'd have a couple Elvin Bishop albums on mine too.

Wow - 4 really good names mentioned. I've seen all several times way way back in the day with the exception of Alex Taylor.

He's one artist I never saw but wish I had. Not sure if he toured much???? I think I have a couple of his albums. Of all the Taylor brothers, I like Alex's vocals the best. God rest his soul.

Posted : July 3, 2022 6:03 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@martind28  I still have my copy of this 1972 album. I didn't buy it until 1974. I got it because I discovered many of the Gregg Allman/Laid Back album musicians are on it. 

Scott Boyer Electric Guitar, Charlie Hayward Bass Guitar, CHUCK LEAVELL Piano, Bill Stewart Drums. 

Produced by Johnny Sandlin. 

After I played it I really liked Alex Taylor's singing. 

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : July 4, 2022 9:39 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Posted by: @martind28
Posted by: @oldcoot

Wow - 4 really good names mentioned. I've seen all several times way way back in the day with the exception of Alex Taylor.

He's one artist I never saw but wish I had. Not sure if he toured much???? I think I have a couple of his albums. Of all the Taylor brothers, I like Alex's vocals the best. God rest his soul.

Not sure how much he toured but the first time I saw the ABB in March '72, Alex Taylor Friends & Neighbors was the opening act. I have one live show of his also from '72.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : July 4, 2022 11:01 am
allmanfan21
(@allmanfan21)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I'm not sure how much thought he put into his list either. I'm not really good at ranking things. I'm often better at just thinking off the top of my head.

Posted : July 5, 2022 4:05 pm
allmanfan21
(@allmanfan21)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

@robertdee Here's another video after the main countdown where he talks about some Live albums as well. I didn't create my own list of live albums since most of them were in list here:

Posted : July 5, 2022 4:18 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@allmanfan21 I like his pick for the best live album of course!!! To me it's the best live album in any genre of rock music. 

I would have been shocked if he had put Wet Willie or Molly Hatchet as number one:) 

Posted : July 5, 2022 5:35 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

WAIT a minute!  No Little Feat!!  These two MUST be on this list:  1.  Dixie Chicken  2.  Sailin' Shoes.  I think those two are more groundbreaking than Waiting For Columbus so I left that one off.

Posted : July 6, 2022 12:20 pm
Jack_Frost reacted
allmanfan21
(@allmanfan21)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Little Feat's a great band, but for this series, his criteria was that he'd only pick bands who were actually from the South. 

Posted : July 6, 2022 4:09 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Fun topic. What is "Southern Rock"? Gregg has said he never really understood the term as I'm sure most folks know.

I like both lists although I would say both Mule and Blackfoot are more rock. In fact, the only time I saw Black foot they opened for Deep Purple for whatever that is worth.

Nice to see Ozark Mountain Daredevils on the list. I saw them once in a farm field in the U.P. of Michigan. Followed by Black Oak Arkansas and then Molly Hatchet.

If you want a really good read, pick this book up:

He really digs into what he thinks is the whole story behind the term.

Like many things, I guess it is very subjective.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : July 6, 2022 5:20 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Little Feat isn't a southern rock band, either geographically or to my ears - friend BigV would agree - sure love em tho

would Black Oak Arkansas be considered southern rock - not so much to my ears - love their Raunch n Roll live one

Captain Beyond was recorded on Capricorn, The southern rock label - same thing, not "southern rock" but a tremendous hard rock album like Raunch & Roll

Thx for the book reference, will see about that one for sure

Posted : July 7, 2022 11:04 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@stephen I had never heard of Southern Rock until about 1974. It seems Ramblin' Man/Brothers and Sisters, the first two Lynyrd Skynyrd albums, Charlie Daniels Band and "The South Is Going To Do It Again", Marshall Tucker Band, Wet Willie, Elvin Bishop and maybe Z Z. Top because Charlie mentioned Z.Z.Top in "Souths Going To Do It Again" sometime in 1974 I think was the year, was given a category called "Southern Rock" and it was being mentioned on album radio stations and record stores developed a Southern Rock section in the album bins. Soon Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, The Outlaws, Grinderswitch and others were in the Southern Rock thing. It became a southern states Confederate Flag thing in the 1970's. The Allmans didn't get into the Confederate Flag which I liked but Lynyrd Skynyrd and others sure did. I've never felt comfortable with that flag so I didn't go to many southern rock shows after 1974. Of course I saw some of the Win, Lose or Draw shows in 1975 and 76 but don't recall any Confederate Flags. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but the term Southern Rock didn't exist when Duane and Berry were still living. I don't recall that label before 1973 at all. 

I remember some of the guys who liked and bought the Allmans and Lynyrd Skynyrd records bought Little Feat. But I don't think Little Feat usually got lumped into the Southern Rock handle. 

And the term is dead today isn't it? Stevie Ray Vaughan hit big in the 1980's and he didn't use it. SRV always talked about growing up on Texas blues. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 7, 2022 2:09 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Posted by: @lee

Fun topic. What is "Southern Rock"? Gregg has said he never really understood the term as I'm sure most folks know. ...

My favorite southern rock songs include:

Lucille - Little Richard

Little Sister - Elvis

I'm Ready - Fats Domino  😉 

Many years ago I wrote a diatribe on these pages about how Rock and Roll IS southern!  I would like to flatter myself in thinking that Gregg might have read what I wrote because he said a lot of the same stuff that I did in an interview shortly after.  At the same time, he and his band played a show in Birmingham (I was there!) - they played "Lucille" with Floyd Miles on vocals!  

FYI - not meaning to be a dick or anything, but I don't really love a lot of the music that was labeled as "southern rock".  There is certainly some good players playing good and all that but I didn't love all of it.  Charlie Daniels spoke (one of those Southern Rock documentary films) about how many of the southern rock bands sounded nothing alike.  I let out an audible groan whenever someone says the words "Allman Brothers" and "Southern Rock" in the same sentence.  

Posted : July 8, 2022 3:30 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah Robertdee, seems that the term didn't come along until a little later - maybe when the CDB and Lynyrd Skynyrd hit? But Rambling Man may have been the start of the term - yes, the ABB is to southern rock what water is to oil - ERogues is "southern rock" boogie to my ears but that's as close as they ever came to fitting the term, to my ears

ZZ Top was always "that little ol band from Texas" - rock n rollers from the south - but didn't consider them "southern rock" - Wishbone Ash's 1st two records have a lot of that twin-lead playing that came to define the term, but they too don't fit the definition imo -

Skynyrd, CDB, Tucker to an extent, Molly Hatchett, the Outlaws, Blackfoot, others....better fit the description

This post was modified 2 years ago by Stephen

Posted : July 8, 2022 5:14 pm
MuleMeWarren
(@mulemewarren)
Estimable Member

Saddle Tramp - CDB

Cowboy cover says it all

Posted : July 15, 2022 11:29 am
Share: