The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Tom Dowd & Layla  

RSS
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

It was Tom Dowd's birthday this past week. This past month was the 50th anniversary of the recording of Layla at Criteria Studios Miami. I put together a quick illustration inspired by it. The head of Criteria Studios saw it and asked for copy, so now it's on the walls there.

layla

Posted : October 21, 2020 9:11 am
rowland, Randall, harvey and 2 people liked
Delawhere
(@delawhere)
Peach Pro

Yo, Porkchop -- great illustration. I'd love to see you put together a video of Duane, Eric and the Dominoes playing Layla, like the magnificent piece you did with Statesboro Blues ("OK, the Allman Brothers Band..."). Of course, that's easy for me to say...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 21, 2020 10:35 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Peach Extraordianire

Very good likeness, I love it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 21, 2020 12:31 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Master

@robslob Yes that is real cool porkchopbob.  And a great honor for you to have it on the wall of that famous studio.

Layla is a great album. And Dowd is a big reason it is. Getting Duane Allman around Clapton was a shot in the arm for the sessions too according to Dowd. 

I still remember Duane on a live rock radio call in segment in New York and a caller ask Duane which solos are yours and which are Claptons.  Duane said something like "I played a Les Paul and Eric played a Stratocaster so if you know your guitar tones you know who is who. If you don't then man just turn it up and enjoy the music. It's all good and I'm proud to be on it and Eric Clapton is a fine cat and a great player man."

I think Duane also said he came up with the riff on the title track.

Supposedly Clapton tried to steal Duane from the ABB and Duane was tempted.

Once Clapton said he would have replaced Duane in the ABB if asked but admitted he wouldn't have stayed. Said he has never been able to stay with a band very long...even his own bands. 

I didn't find out until recently Jim Gordon's writing credit with Clapton on the title track is bogus. Gordon's then girlfriend Rita Coolidge actually wrote the music for that coda. Also assumed that was Bobby Whitlock on the piano and that was wrong too. It's Gordon.

Saw the Allman Betts Band outdoors Saturday night October 24th. It was emotional for me to see Berry Oakley's Fender Jazz bass and the Gibson and Fender guitars that belonged to Gregg Allman played by his son and Duane Betts playing Dickey's signature Les Paul Goldtop, ES-335 dot neck and Dickey's old road worn 1956 Stratocaster hardtail. Good show but it wasn't like seeing the ABB 50 years ago in 1970. Also in 1970 I wasn't in a lawn chair with Sports creme on my aching knees. In 1970 when Duane hit those first notes on slide guitar on Statesboro Blues I was jumping around like Daffy Duck in a Warner Brothers cartoon!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2020 9:30 pm
Randall, Wayne, rowland and 1 people liked
harvey
(@harvey)
Ultimate Peach

@robertdee ... great post ... I always enjoy reading your anecdotes

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2020 5:10 am
Randall and Wayne liked
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin
Posted by: @robertdee

I still remember Duane on a live rock radio call in segment in New York and a caller ask Duane which solos are yours and which are Claptons.  Duane said something like "I played a Les Paul and Eric played a Stratocaster so if you know your guitar tones you know who is who. If you don't then man just turn it up and enjoy the music. It's all good and I'm proud to be on it and Eric Clapton is a fine cat and a great player man."

You can hear the full interview on DuaneAllman.com here:  https://duaneallman.com/life/   It's the one with Dave Herman.

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2020 6:01 am
harvey, Randall, PorkchopBob and 1 people liked
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Peach Head

@robertdee - Regarding the coda in Layla, allegedly it's from a song called "Time (Don't Let the World Get in Our Way)" which was written by both Gordon and Coolidge, so Gordon should get some writing credit. Coolidge's account of what happened appears in her autobiography, excerpts can be found here https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7318951/rita-coolidge-layla-memoir-delta-lady-eric-clapton-derek-dominos

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2020 5:58 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Peach Extraordianire

"Saw the Allman Betts Band outdoors Saturday night October 24th."

"Good show but it wasn't like seeing the ABB 50 years ago in 1970."

I love your post but I wish people would stop comparing Allman/Betts to ABB

This post was modified 1 month ago by robslob
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2020 2:30 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Master

@robslob Didn't mean a slight or negative about the Allman Betts Band robslob. I really enjoyed the show. They are not a tribute band at all and have their second album out.

I didn't make it clear. I got emotional seeing Berry Oakley's Fender bass being played by his son. And several acoustic and electric guitars that Gregg Allman owned played by his son and a Les Paul Goldtop, a Gibson ES-335 dot neck and a 1956 Stratocaster hardtail owned and played by Dickey now played by his son. Also Devon Allman had a Les Paul Junior that had Duane Allman's (ring) guitar strap that Devon played on several songs. 

My comparison was about ME!  Last Saturday night in Virginia I had aching knees, 73 years old and sitting in a lawn chair and the first time I saw that Fender bass, Duane's (ring) guitar strap etc, I was 24 years old and jumping around like Daffy Duck.

The original Allman Brothers is the best and most inspirational band I ever saw. Number ONE!! But that doesn't mean I'm not deeply impressed with Allman Betts Band, Gov't Mule, Susan and Derek's band, other ABB lineups and many other bands and artists. 

No comparison intended and I apologize for giving that impression. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2020 6:05 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Peach Extraordianire

@robertdee

"@robslob Didn't mean a slight or negative about the Allman Betts Band robslob. I really enjoyed the show. They are not a tribute band at all and have their second album out.

I didn't make it clear. I got emotional seeing Berry Oakley's Fender bass being played by his son. And several acoustic and electric guitars that Gregg Allman owned played by his son and a Les Paul Goldtop, a Gibson ES-335 dot neck and a 1956 Stratocaster hardtail owned and played by Dickey now played by his son. Also Devon Allman had a Les Paul Junior that had Duane Allman's (ring) guitar strap that Devon played on several songs. 

My comparison was about ME!  Last Saturday night in Virginia I had aching knees, 73 years old and sitting in a lawn chair and the first time I saw that Fender bass, Duane's (ring) guitar strap etc, I was 24 years old and jumping around like Daffy Duck.

The original Allman Brothers is the best and most inspirational band I ever saw. Number ONE!! But that doesn't mean I'm not deeply impressed with Allman Betts Band, Gov't Mule, Susan and Derek's band, other ABB lineups and many other bands and artists. 

No comparison intended and I apologize for giving that impression."

I got you.  Thanks for the clarification!  Yeah, it did sound like you were comparing them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2020 6:29 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Master

@crosseyedcat CrossEyedCat. I followed the link and what a read it was. Rita says the fact Jim Gordon's daughter gets his (and her) share of the royalties makes this bitter pill easier to take.  Airplay and I'm sure the album still sells a decent amount each year so it is likely a nice income stream. 

I guess Key To The Highway is my favorite on that album. It fades in and I've read it's because they were jamming and got into that song and Tom Dowd realised it was going to be real good so they turned on the tape recorded after the song began.

This post was modified 1 month ago by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2020 6:46 pm
Share: