The Final Note

44 Posts
19 Users
24 Likes
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Just received an email that my copy of the Final Note has shipped. Looking forward to listening to this one. 

Posted : October 13, 2020 10:40 am
DOVETAIL
(@dovetail)
Reputable Member

Piece at the link below was recommended to me and I found lots of good insight & information in it...

Posted : October 15, 2020 9:19 am
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@dovetail This is the second ABB-related article I've read from this author this month. I appreciate his fandom, but I can't tolerate his sentence sandwiches.

More words used to mean more money.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 15, 2020 10:10 am
DOVETAIL
(@dovetail)
Reputable Member

@porkchopbob...WOW!?!? quite a stretch---and a simplistic one too I might suggest-- to interpret a sentence regarding comparative sound quality as merely pertaining to money. Based on what I've read of this guy, if he wants to make a specific point he makes it, graciously and diplomatically to a fault perhaps, but with more than a little clarity

This post was modified 4 years ago by DOVETAIL

Posted : October 15, 2020 10:39 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@dovetail I totally appreciate his thoughts and opinions regarding the music. I admit, overly verbose writing is a pet peeve of mine. Just meant in the days of print, writers didn't have the luxury of run-on sentences.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 15, 2020 10:53 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
DOVETAIL
(@dovetail)
Reputable Member

@porkchopbob...At the risk of sounding defensive on behalf of a third party, there is a difference between run-on and intricately-worded sentence. No doubt, based on what I see here and elsewhere, your pet peeve is quite prevalent...which is no doubt why the star rating system was initiated and developed.

Posted : October 15, 2020 11:10 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@dovetail Like musicians and painters, writers have their styles. Run-on sentences are just a jam that went on too long...

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 15, 2020 11:28 am
bird72
(@bird72)
Honorable Member

One should, never, even under dire circumstance, or time of national crisis, or personal trauma for that matter, be overly verbose, in a grandiose way particularly, no matter the urgency or personal, or perceived need to convey, or transfer ones thoughts, to a particular person, or larger audience, such as live, social media, or in peddling Allman Brother knowledge, especially when undocumented, or when such information is common knowledge, or otherwise readily available.  Yes.

Posted : October 15, 2020 12:20 pm
WaitinForRain, rowland, islalala and 1 people reacted
DOVETAIL
(@dovetail)
Reputable Member

@bird72 wayta practith what thou preacheth

Posted : October 15, 2020 12:34 pm
DOVETAIL
(@dovetail)
Reputable Member

@porkchopbob as with writers, so with readers...I myself enjoy good writing so I don't mind chewing on the prose, so to speak, and re-reading as necessary: some of my favorite writers compel that approach. I prefer to avoid the glib, overly clever and/or lingo-ridden...So it goes, as many here would say, to each his own...(I won't delve into the issue of reading comprehension or lack thereof!?!?)

Posted : October 15, 2020 12:37 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@dovetail I appreciate a healthy vocabulary, which the author certainly has. He just needs to use a period once in a while:

Sometimes more is not more.

Ok, apologies for the rant. Like I said, pet peeve of mine.

Carry on.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 15, 2020 12:56 pm
DOVETAIL
(@dovetail)
Reputable Member

@porkchopbob..In this case I might suggest it's just enough to give credit where credit is due PLUS information for the uninitiated---but that's only MY read of it...OnWard & UpWard: your dialogue with me on this topic never approached ranting (at least based on my experience here and in general!?!?)

Posted : October 15, 2020 1:11 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
salcapitano
(@salcapitano)
Estimable Member

I do believe that the pitch is off on The Final Note. I'll just fix it myself. Other than that I'm digging the hell out of it. Oh what Duane could have done.

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by salcapitano

Posted : October 15, 2020 10:50 pm
harvey reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

I'm listening to the Final Note on Spotify. The performance is stellar, great energy. Dickey and Duane are on fire through out. I agree, @salcapitano, it makes you wonder what that next tour would have sounded like. The horn on "Liz Reed" actually fits seamlessly next to Dickey's volume swells.

Sonically it's not unlistenable. It fares best in the more sparse moments. It falls apart at the peaks, when sounds are competing with each other while bouncing off the walls. It's not something I would dial up very often.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6Xgyfo70LwbYORVSIyj1k2?si=r5tfAgveQDagEFZs2_12vg

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 16, 2020 11:24 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Thx for the samples PCBob 😎 - hadn’t heard about a horn player guesting in this show, way cool

Posted : October 16, 2020 5:50 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@stephen I think I read it was Juicy Carter again.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 16, 2020 6:03 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Bomb - might have to rethink passing on this one - sound seems passable, which considering its source, amazing😀😎

OMGosh if the TX 71 release was a board, & if it was 9/27 State Fairgrounds in Dallas w/R. Roland Kirk sitting in on part of the set.....🤩👌

Is Juicy Carter elsewhere in the show too?

*did the site just change or is it me?🙃

This post was modified 4 years ago by Stephen

Posted : October 16, 2020 6:16 pm
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I have only listened to a few songs so far. Sound is pretty rough but about what I expected. Anyway had an LOL moment when Duane says y'all have to go out and buy Tuffy Phillips new album.

If you don't know, Tuffy was one of their equipment truck drivers at the time. 

Posted : October 17, 2020 7:52 am
DOVETAIL
(@dovetail)
Reputable Member

@porkchopbob It is indeed Carter and I find it confounding the band still had him sit in with them (especially after Tom Dowd's dismissal of his presence at the Fillmore): he adds nothing to what's going on and is seemingly out of his element altogether!?!?

Posted : October 18, 2020 10:15 am
DOVETAIL
(@dovetail)
Reputable Member

@stephen Actually a pleasing ambiance during Note: recordist picks up a bit of chatter in his immediate vicinity and together with the audience applause in general, it reminds me very much of being present at shows of that era?!?

Posted : October 18, 2020 10:18 am
Marley
(@marley)
Reputable Member

@porkchopbob You're right about the writing. A lot of writing on the internet feels that way. Publications don't have the resources to pay for copy editing, or don't think that making the writing they publish as good as possible is a worthwhile investment. They're also usually emphasizing speed and tell writers to be "conversational," which often gets interpreted as loose, rambling, and full of cliches.

But about the show! The sound is rough. I haven't listened to a bootleg like this in a long time, and the Duane-era live shows I've listened to had better source material. It's very cool that this thing was unearthed even though it doesn't capture a full show or the full essence of the performance.

Posted : October 19, 2020 8:51 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @dovetail

@stephen Actually a pleasing ambiance during Note: recordist picks up a bit of chatter in his immediate vicinity and together with the audience applause in general, it reminds me very much of being present at shows of that era?!?

Yep I hear ya dovetail, still got a few of those audience boots m - “sit down will ya?!” - “man they’re badass” about the band etc😎 -

Nice Going (amazing) on the remastering to listenability, Duane’s last show - I love the ABB

This post was modified 4 years ago by Stephen

Posted : October 21, 2020 9:44 am
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I just finally listened thru this cd and as has been mentioned the sound is not stellar by any means, but there is no denying the energy on that stage. Long live the Allman Brothers Band! Can I get an amen?

Posted : October 21, 2020 2:52 pm
matt05 and PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Anybody have an opinion on the Erie show? It looks like it's not available on streaming outlets until 10/30 for some reason. If I have a bunch of amazing shows from this period, do I really need this Eerie show?

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 21, 2020 3:26 pm
matt05 reacted
Wooddog
(@wooddog)
Trusted Member

My son is coming in for a visit from LA. We're going to wait to listen to it until the 29th. Have a celebration of the Brother all day long. Should be a blast! Might even carve a pumpkin. A sad day, but to look at all the happiness he gave us, it's wild. So fortunate.

Posted : October 22, 2020 6:46 am
StratDal reacted
TheyCameToBoston
(@theycametoboston)

Posted by: @salcapitano

I do believe that the pitch is off on The Final Note. I'll just fix it myself. Other than that I'm digging the hell out of it. Oh what Duane could have done.

@salcapitano - can you provide more?  Too fast or slow?  All the way thru or individual tracks?  Or 'tape stretch'?  And what tools do you use to fix?  Sorry for all the queries.

Thx

And I'm impatiently waiting as my copy apparently spent a relaxing week in Pittsburgh USPS facility.

This post was modified 4 years ago by TheyCameToBoston

Posted : October 22, 2020 12:56 pm
salcapitano
(@salcapitano)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @theycametoboston
Posted by: @salcapitano

@salcapitano - can you provide more?  Too fast or slow?  All the way thru or individual tracks?  Or 'tape stretch'?  And what tools do you use to fix?  Sorry for all the queries.

Thx

I do believe that it runs a little slow. I've only checked the 1st two songs, so I don't know about the rest yet. I use a program called Audacity. Audacity>Effects>Speed Change> +1.30 percent. I did this on the fly just now so I'm not sure it's right on the money but it's close to this 1.30 percent marker. I plan on playing with it a little more.

Posted : October 22, 2020 2:45 pm
billybarool
(@billybarool)

@porkchopbob

its well worth getting! I’m listening now and the sound quality is amazing and performance is stellar!

Posted : October 22, 2020 10:39 pm
BillyBlastoff
(@billyblastoff)
Famed Member

I'm glad for the archival material. I've taken a lot of jazz classes lately and we listen to a lot of older performances. You kinda gotta listen through the noise of the poor recordings.

Posted : October 23, 2020 1:51 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: