Tedeschi Trucks Band Announce ‘Layla Revisited’ Live LP With Trey Anastasio

30 Posts
14 Users
9 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Sounds cools, but I really never made a connection with Anastasio and his band Phish. Never my cup of tea.  Haynes or Bramhall would have been my choice.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/tedeschi-trucks-layla-trey-anastasio-1166478/

A week after DJ Khaled sampled “Layla” on his new album, Tedeschi Trucks Band have announced the live album Layla Revisited (Live at Lockn’) featuring Trey Anastasio

Recorded at Lockn’ Festival in August 2019, the LP features a performance of Derek and the Dominos’ Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs in its entirety. Fans were unaware of the set — only that Anastasio was slated to appear. In the video above, Derek Trucks and Anastasio jam on “Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?” playing Eric Clapton and Duane Allman’s parts.

The band has several connections to Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs: It was released on Susan Tedeschi’s birthday in November 1970, Trucks was named after it, and he’s also a former member of the Allman Brothers Band.

“By the time that I started playing guitar, the sound of Duane Allman’s slide was almost an obsession,” Trucks said in a statement. “His playing on Layla is still one of the high-water marks for me. The spirit, the joy, the recklessness, and the inevitability of it. My dad would play that record for me and my brother to fall asleep to and further sear it into my DNA.”

The album arrives on July 16th via Fantasy Records; you can preorder it here. The band will return to the road this summer for the Fireside Live tour, which kicks off in Jacksonville, Florida, on June 11th.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : May 8, 2021 1:20 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

This young man is Clapton all over again. He even looks like Clapton!!!

Oh so by the time Derek began playing guitar, the sound of Duane Allman's slide was almost an obsession!!! I didn't know that:)

Posted : May 8, 2021 7:29 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

My gut feeling is that you would have to be a huge fan of TTB to buy this or to even listen to this.  I have an enormous CD collection and of course am adding to it all the time.  I forget about things that are in there, often GREAT stuff that I haven't pulled out in years.  And there's more and more that I want, some of it released 20 years ago and more.  In short, my listening time is impacted already.  

My point is this:  If I'm going to listen to the entire Layla record, do you think I'm going to put on The Tedeschi/Trucks Band version or the Derek and The Dominoes version?  Wouldn't that be a fairly easy decision?

Posted : May 8, 2021 12:46 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@robslob I think you have to be both a huge TTB fan and a Layla fan (and a Trey fan, to a good degree). I know a lot of people who happen to be both and are very excited about this release.

I'm not getting it because I'm the former. I love TTB and I enjoy when they drop an occasional Derek & the Dominos cover into their shows (I think they cover them better than the ABB did), but I personally wouldn't want to sit through a show that is only the Layla album.

It's a nice novelty for those cross-over fans, and a good time to mix and drop a popular show that got a ton of buzz. I am actually more interested in the Mad Dogs & Englishmen show since they had so many guests that were a part of the original such as Rita and Leon, seemed like more of an event.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 8, 2021 2:40 pm
owencarol
(@owencarol)
Estimable Member

I've been a music junkie since I was in single digits in the 50's. I must have broken my Mom's budget begging for batteries for my transistor radio that I frequently fell asleep listening to under my pillow. Layla and other Assorted Love Songs has been my favorite album since it was re-released. Duane Allman's contribution is what made it so special for me. Morph ahead to recent time. I became a Derek Trucks fan after seeing the DTB open for Hot Tuna. I have seen the DTB, STB and TTB somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 times. I downloaded the Layla show and burned it to CD which I listen to somewhat regularly. I am excited for the July release  as it will hopefully be better quality than the audience recording I have. I will listen to both, in the future, the original and the TTB show with absolute joy and appreciation!

This post was modified 3 years ago by owencarol

Posted : May 8, 2021 3:26 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob Yes and Rita has a darn good connection to Layla...doesn't she:)

Posted : May 8, 2021 4:51 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

This is the real McCoy.  TTB or anybody else isn't going to top the above.  Duane and Clapton, Bobby, Carl and Jim put it too far up there to be topped by later musicians.  But there is nothing wrong with other versions of the song especially when they are good ones and Derek has a pedigree. He was named for Derek and Duane Allman was Derek's biggest inspiration. 

I could be wrong but often I wonder if it were not for Duane Allman would we even know who Derek Trucks is...or Warren or Dickey or Gregg??  Dickey said he would like to think his music was good enough that it would have found a way to get out to the people to some degree. Then Dickey said " What a lucky guy I was to get in the middle of such a great band".

Posted : May 8, 2021 5:12 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @robslob

My gut feeling is that you would have to be a huge fan of TTB to buy this or to even listen to this.  I have an enormous CD collection and of course am adding to it all the time.  I forget about things that are in there, often GREAT stuff that I haven't pulled out in years.  And there's more and more that I want, some of it released 20 years ago and more.  In short, my listening time is impacted already.  

My point is this:  If I'm going to listen to the entire Layla record, do you think I'm going to put on The Tedeschi/Trucks Band version or the Derek and The Dominoes version?  Wouldn't that be a fairly easy decision?

Gotta say I fully disagree. Layla is my favorite album ever. I was a single-minded Clapton obsessive growing up. Radle is my favorite bassist. That album is almost perfect. So I hear where you’re coming from. 

Yet and still, I CANNOT WAIT for this. Trey is Trey, fine. But getting to hear Derek on the whole album?  Awesome. 

Posted : May 8, 2021 6:13 pm
PorkchopBob and robslob reacted
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Derek isn’t Duane

Duane isn’t Derek 

my 2 favorite guitar players 

can’t wait for this 

This post was modified 3 years ago by stormyrider

Posted : May 8, 2021 9:56 pm
Psy
 Psy
(@psy)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @robslob

Ditto. I understand the appeal of listening to a band play one of their own albums in its entirety but the appeal of a band covering another band's album in its entirety is lost on me. Oh well, to each their own.

Posted : May 9, 2021 10:23 am
robslob reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Govt Mule usually covers a band for Halloween.

Posted : May 9, 2021 10:40 am
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@jszfunk didn't Phish pick an album to cover on Halloween or NYE every year as well?

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 9, 2021 11:10 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob. Gov't Mule put one out. Dark Side Of The Mule And toured.

The band is excellent and Warren Haynes's guitar playing and tone are first rate. I imagine Gilmore would give it a thumbs up.

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : May 9, 2021 6:52 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @porkchopbob

@jszfunk didn't Phish pick an album to cover on Halloween or NYE every year as well?

Sounds familiar , but not for sure. I really dont phollow them, not much of a phan.

Posted : May 10, 2021 7:36 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @jszfunk
Posted by: @porkchopbob

Sounds familiar , but not for sure. I really dont phollow them, not much of a phan.

me neither, but I know from friends who are fans that they would cover full albums every Halloween. Must have inspired Warren to do the same.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/features/phish-halloween-musical-costumes-2019/

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 10, 2021 8:43 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@jszfunk  Yes, Gov't Mule covers a classic record every year at Halloween and I'm a huge Mule fan.  I caught one of their Halloween shows here in the Bay area, I'm guessing it was around 2009.  They did the entire Who's Next record and it was nothing short of STUNNING.  Warren Haynes played all of Pete Townsend's guitar parts while singing all of Roger Daltrey's vocal parts.  IMO that's an amazing accomplishment, only because Warren made it sound SO good.  How many musicians could even pull that off?

But that's where it ends for me.  What I mean is, it was great to hear Who's Next live, done in a concert setting by a band I REALLY love, to me right now the greatest live band out there.  If I want to hear Who's Next again, either at home or in my car, do you think I'm going to buy that same Mule show and play it over and over again?  No, no, NO.  I'll put in The Who's original Who's Next record, and again, that is certainly not a difficult decision.  By the same token, I think it would be interesting to hear TTB do Layla all the way through if I was present at one of their shows.  I would not be interested in buying a recording of them doing it.  You know what I'll put in the stereo:  Derek and The Dominoes.  

As always, TO EACH THEIR OWN.  Just my personal cup of tea, that's all.  Oh, one more thing:  I know from an interview right after Leslie West died that Warren is a BIG fan of Mountain's Nantucket Sleighride record (I am too, from right when it was released).  I'd LOVE to hear the Mule do that one some Halloween!  Would I buy a recording of Mule doing it?  No.  I'll put on Mountain.

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by robslob

Posted : May 10, 2021 9:31 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@robslob

I hear what you're saying. Personally, I love hearing different spins on my favorite music, and I am always open to adding more to my music library. There are periods I need to take a break from even my favorite bands, so hearing a fresh take on old favorites helps keep it interesting. I definitely have "go to" versions of songs that aren't the original versions or even the original artist. If one of my favorite bands covered one of my favorite albums I'd definitely want to revisit it on occasion, I have the time. But as you say, to each their own.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 10, 2021 10:01 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted : May 10, 2021 11:38 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@jszfunk:  Thanks, Immigrant Song was smokin'.  I will add to the mix, something I shot 3 years ago in Oakland, Mule doing Jimi.  If anyone is wondering, NO, they did not do the entire Electric Ladyland record.  Just this one tune.

Posted : May 10, 2021 12:10 pm
jszfunk reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I dont know,I  kinda dig cover tunes. Always  Look forward to it when seeing the Mule, so I am all in on this. Hope Trey does not get to "noodley" weird  . Like I mentioned ,I thought Warren Or Doyle wold have made more sense...but what do  I know?!?!?

Posted : May 10, 2021 1:07 pm
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

This should be really good. I watched on the web when it first happened. It was the night after Derek sat in with Trey's band, which was terrific and totally elevated that band which I think is only good to new levels of excellence. Songs from that show get replayed on XM Phish radio pretty regularly.

Trey and Derek love Eric and Duane and they take the solos to some pretty incredible places. Really looking forward to this.

Posted : May 10, 2021 5:04 pm
CB
 CB
(@cb)
Estimable Member

I listened to this on the web when it was streamed from Lock'n.  Other than the addition of the horn section, IMHO, the arrangements are pretty true to the original album.  

I'm not a fan of Phish, but this isn't a jam band version of the album.

Posted : May 10, 2021 5:10 pm
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member

I pre-ordered this one instantly. Derek is a beast, and I am always eager to hear what he does, whether with cover versions or new songs.

However, I have read that there might not be a DVD or BlueRay for this. That is a shame! I love to see the band play. Ah well

Posted : May 10, 2021 10:27 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @jimsheridan

I pre-ordered this one instantly. Derek is a beast, and I am always eager to hear what he does, whether with cover versions or new songs.

However, I have read that there might not be a DVD or BlueRay for this. That is a shame! I love to see the band play. Ah well

Blu Ray would be sweet.

Posted : May 11, 2021 7:45 am
OldDog
(@olddog)
Estimable Member

If I follow the logic of some posters here I would never buy a blues rock album because they are for the most part covers. I remember Gregg's last album being praised and stated that he should have won a Grammy yet it's all covers. The ABB is littered with covers. I don't get the logic, for me it's always I like it or i don't. I heard Derek with Trey on the radio doing Mountain Jam. If it's in that vein I'm sure i will like it. Was it better than the original, no, but it was real good and Derek was playing lights out.

Posted : May 11, 2021 12:27 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
dzobo
(@dzobo)
Reputable Member

I thought this performance was excellent.  Of course Derek steals the show but there are major contributions by everyone.  Nice guitar turns are also taken by Doyle and Susan. I thought the show got off to a slow start on the first two songs.  Bell Bottom Blues lacked the guitar attack on the chorus which truly makes the song.  The band really became energized starting on Keep on Growing.  

Posted : May 11, 2021 1:01 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Watched their Bonaroo "Special Guests" performane and also the Mad Dogs show. I thoroughly enjoyed both. What's not to like about Chaka Khan covering a Zeppelin tune?

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : May 11, 2021 2:40 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I liked Chaka Khan doing a Zeppelin song too. It was cool. 

I like covers. One I also enjoyed was the show in New York and Johnny Winter covered My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion. Johnny even wore a cap like Captain Smith of the Titanic. 

Posted : May 11, 2021 4:43 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@dzobo:  Hey Don, just curious, where did you find a sample listen of the entire show?

Posted : May 12, 2021 10:34 am
dzobo
(@dzobo)
Reputable Member

@robslob

Nugs made it available on YouTube for awhile.

Posted : May 12, 2021 12:25 pm
Share: