11 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
emr
 emr
(@emr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Was listening to some old blues on youtube, reliving the close association between discovering the ABB and the old masters (and I have to confess having W McTell on vinyl ws not a chick magnet)

Got to thinking how with the PC and Cancel cultures I don't think this song would fly today

Posted : August 12, 2022 3:56 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I have kind of a neat story about Sonny Boy and there is actually an ABB connection. I bought this Chess Blues box set right after I "found" the blues in the early 90s. His stuff I found fascinating. So I bought this CD "The World of Sonny Boy Williamson". I drove from Michigan to Chicago and Indiana to see two ABB shows. I put that CD in the changer and listened to it all the way home from Indiana. The songs are so short I had to keep repeating it but it was great road trip music!

This post was modified 2 years ago by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : August 12, 2022 4:14 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@lee Dickey said Duane told him after Jesse Ed Davis on slide guitar, his inspiration for slide came from listening to harmonica players. 

One Way Out is credited to Sonny Boy, Elmore James and Marshall Sehorn. Marshall Sehorn didn't write anything. He was an executive with connections and in order for these old blues guys to get a song out the door they had to give Marshall a slice of the writing credit. 

B. B. King got stuck with one of those too from another man. His name is on B. B. songs but didn't write nothing! Excuse the English:)

Posted : August 12, 2022 5:29 pm
emr
 emr
(@emr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Colonel Parker used to get Elvis co-writing credit despite the fact that he never wrote a song.

Posted : August 12, 2022 6:14 pm
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Noble Member

Sonny Boy Williamson is one of my fav's...Great lyrics and the guitar playing on his recordings by Robert Lockwood has some great rhythm/lead work 

Posted : August 12, 2022 6:20 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@emr Jules Taub got a co-writing credit on apparently most of B. B. King's songs and didn't write anything. B. B. did that probably reluctantly to get songs published. 

I just checked Blind Love on the Allman Brothers Band Enlighten Rouges album and it's listed as B. B. King-Jules Taub.  Gregg Allman shared Melissa with another man for years until Gregg paid thousands to get him off the song. Steve Alaimo loaned Gregg $500 dollars before the ABB formed and Steve would only loan the money if Gregg put him on the song. 

Here is the Allman Brothers from Enlightened Rogues with their version of Blind Love written by B. B. King and Jules Taub.....but Taub actually was a silent partner indeed. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : August 13, 2022 10:47 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@goldtop  Says Robert Junior Lockwood was the only guitarist to have taken lessons from Robert Johnson. Johnson lived with Lockwood's mother for 3 years and Johnson was a father figure to Lockwood even though Johnson was just 4 years older than Lockwood. 

Lockwood had a long association with Sonny Boy Williamson. Lockwood was born in 1915 in Arkansas and died in Cleveland in 2006 at age 91. 

Posted : August 14, 2022 8:05 am
goldtop reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@goldtop Here is Sonny Boy Williamson on guitar and they wrote he always tried to play like Robert Johnson when he did play the guitar.

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : August 14, 2022 8:19 am
goldtop reacted
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Noble Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@goldtop  Says Robert Junior Lockwood was the only guitarist to have taken lessons from Robert Johnson. Johnson lived with Lockwood's mother for 3 years and Johnson was a father figure to Lockwood even though Johnson was just 4 years older than Lockwood. 

Lockwood had a long association with Sonny Boy Williamson. Lockwood was born in 1915 in Arkansas and died in Cleveland in 2006 at age 91. 

Thanks Robert I was aware of Robert Jr  Lockwoods relationship with RJ.

Here one of my fav's SBW tunes with RJL's guitar work. This is one of the most fun guitar parts I've heard by him

Posted : August 14, 2022 9:33 am
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Noble Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@goldtop Here is Sonny Boy Williamson on guitar and they wrote he always tried to play like Robert Johnson when he did play the guitar.

That is a picture of Elmore James with SBW face Photoshoped over. I had the EJ's album with that cover

Interesting to hear SBW play guitar

Posted : August 14, 2022 9:35 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@goldtop I didn't know they put Sonny Boy's head on Elmore's body. Obviously the guitar is Elmore's guitar. 

Here is Robert Junior Lockwood talking about his time with Robert Johnson. BTW Lockwood put Junior after his first name because Robert Johnson was a father figure to him so Lockwood always felt he was Robert Johnson, Jr. 

Posted : August 14, 2022 5:24 pm
Share: