SCOTT GORHAM Quits BLACK STAR RIDERS To Focus On THIN LIZZY

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/scott-gorham-quits-black-star-riders-to-focus-on-thin-lizzy/

U.S.-based hard rock group BLACK STAR RIDERS has signed a multi-album worldwide recording deal with the long-running British independent label Earache Records.

BLACK STAR RIDERS was formed by members of legendary Irish rock group THIN LIZZY in 2013 and has released four albums on the Nuclear Blast label in their eight years in existence and toured the world as both headliners and special guests to some of the most prominent names in rock. The band has since become a pillar in the modern rock landscape in its own right, owing to their Herculean stage presence and meticulous attention to detail in carving out their own identity within the depths of their jagged-edged anthems, epic ballads and Celtic-infused rockers.

With their commitments to Nuclear Blast complete, BLACK STAR RIDERS have inked a deal with Earache, the label responsible for putting extreme metal on the map in the '80s and '90s, and in more recent times helping to build the careers of modern rock acts such as RIVAL SONS and THE TEMPERANCE MOVEMENT.

BLACK STAR RIDERS frontman Ricky Warwick comments: "We are extremely pleased to announce our new deal with Earache Records. We had an amazing eight years with Nuclear Blast and I want to thank everyone there for their commitment and dedication during this time but it was time to part ways and Earache have well and truly stepped up to the plate! We can't wait to start the new relationship with the great team there."

BLACK STAR RIDERS are due to enter the studio in Los Angeles on October 14 with longtime producer Jay Ruston (STONE SOUR, STEEL PANTHER, URIAH HEEP, ANTHRAX) to begin recording the follow-up to 2019's "Another State Of Grace". The band has a host of U.K. Top 30 albums, including the U.K. No. 6 album "Heavy Fire", which featured a BBC Radio 2 single of the week and also won "Best British Album" at Planet Rock's The Rocks awards.

The new album will feature a different lineup from the band's previous releases, due to founder and lead guitarist Scott Gorham's decision to step down from all recording and touring commitments with the band.

Warwick adds: "We are very sorry to see Scott go but we discussed a very heavy world touring commitment on the new record and Scott decided he wanted to concentrate just on THIN LIZZY — and being the legend he is, none of us can blame him. We all wish him the best and he will be looking to put THIN LIZZY back out on the road from 2022 onwards with a busy schedule, so he won't be missing me too much!"

Los Angeles drummer Zak St. John will join BLACK STAR RIDERS to record the new album.

BLACK STAR RIDERS bass player Robert Crane comments: "We have known Zak a while from the L.A. session scene and I know he will blow everyone away when you see and hear him."

BLACK STAR RIDERS are not looking to replace Gorham and will remain a four-piece going forwards, with Ricky handling a lot of the guitar parts alongside Christian Martucci, who joined the band after album number three in 2018.

BLACK STAR RIDERS are set to release their as-yet untitled fifth album in early 2023 and dates are booked to start within a couple of weeks of release.

Martucci comments: "We have decided to let the abundance of rescheduled shows in 2022 blow over so we can come back in full force in 2023 without any distractions. We can't wait to see all our fans and followers again after what seems like an eternity off the road and we appreciate no end their continued support and loyalty to BSR."

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : September 21, 2021 7:25 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I've never heard of Black Star Riders. Must be popular in Europe. 

Posted : September 21, 2021 9:51 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

I am a big Thin Lizzy fan so thanks for sharing. Interesting he is changing course now as Gorham started the current Black Star Riders band touring as Thin Lizzy originally and changed the name to Black Star Riders as he did not feel comfortable recording new material as Thin Lizzy back then and I believe he got some flack from old-time Lizzy fans. Wonder if he will tour with a new band or try to record new material under the Lizzy name.

Not unusual these days for legacy bands to tour with one or no original members so it will be interesting to hear his reasoning to try to reform Lizzy now.

Old interview where he explains why he changed the name to BSR from Thin Lizzy

Jeb: You are out with the second Black Star Riders album titled The Killer Instinct.  You were very classy not calling this band Thin Lizzy.  Many bands do not have but one or two key members and they keep putting out albums and tours.  You did not do that.  Why?

Scott: We had so many people who thought it was a mystery why would do that.  We walked away from a brand name.  The record advances were easily twice as much as we got with Black Star Riders for obvious reasons.  In my mind, especially, as well as everyone else in the band, it was the right thing to do. 

We were thinking about it for two or three years when the question came up as to when we were going to make an album of new material.  Every other band that got together did just that.  We were the only ones that hadn’t done it.  As the time got closer and closer to closing this thing out, and we were going to go in the studio, I told everybody, “You know guys, this has been going on for a while, but I just feel too fucking uncomfortable going into the studio and recording an album under the name of Thin Lizzy.  Everything that I’ve done under that name, recording wise, has been with Phil Lynott and I am too uncomfortable to do this.”  Ricky Warwick chimed in and said, “I agree with that.  It would be great doing an album under this name, but I think you’re totally right.”  Most everybody out there thinks it was the right way to go. 

https://www.classicrockrevisited.com/show_interview.php?id=1101

If it means Gorham digging into the vaults and releasing more Thin Lizzy archive live concerts then I would be a happy camper.

Not sure I would have much interest in a new Thin Lizzy if Gorham is the only member in the new band. Now if he reunited with Robbo and Brian Downy and found a decent lead singer that may be interesting.

Old interview with Robbo with his thought on reforming Lizzy in the past. One thing I love about Robbo is he pulls not punches.

Sleaze Roxx: What’s your take on Scott Gorham resurrecting Thin Lizzy? He put the band back together about 10 years ago.

Brian Robertson: Yeah. I think it’s been longer than that. I have to be honest — I suppose I should be, right — I am going to be honest, I’m not going to bullshit you. The thing with John Sykes was a complete waste of time. John is out for John, and the whole band became a heavy metal caricature of Thin Lizzy. The Lizzy diehards didn’t like it because it just got so heavy metal. That version of the band had more to do with John and his ego than it was to do with the memory of Thin Lizzy.

As for the new Thin Lizzy line-up, I haven’t heard or seen them. I’ve read some of the reviews that have been coming in, and have been speaking to a few people, and by all accounts they are playing very tight and it’s much better than what they were doing with John Sykes. I can see and understand it, but as I say, I haven’t personally seen or heard them. I’d love to see them go into the studio and do something new. The way I see it, 10-15 years of playing the old stuff is 10-15 years that you’ve wasted. Then again you have to stop and think, if they’d gone into the studio with Sykes would it have been worthwhile for the Lizzy name? I think definitely not. It would have turned out with heavy metal riffs and no melody. That would have probably pissed Scott (Gorham) and Brian (Downey) off to no end. Sounds like the fans are enjoying the band more than when Sykes was in the band. I’m not knocking Sykes here, he’s a good friend, but he was fine with Thin Lizzy when Phil was still there and when he started to do it on is own it went a bit haywire.

https://sleazeroxx.com/interviews/brian-robertson-interview/

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : September 21, 2021 10:45 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@bill_graham I am not totally clear on this , so maybe you can clarify. I thought there was some legal issues with the band name, "Thin Lizzy" where Phils's girlfriend has some sort of ownership of the name. I cant remember for sure, but somewhere I thought I read that. Dunno..

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : September 22, 2021 9:09 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Posted by: @jszfunk

@bill_graham I am not totally clear on this , so maybe you can clarify. I thought there was some legal issues with the band name, "Thin Lizzy" where Phils's girlfriend has some sort of ownership of the name. I cant remember for sure, but somewhere I thought I read that. Dunno..

Not sure JFunk and Gorham is vague about it in this interview. From what I have read there was no issue touring but recording may require Lynott's estate to approve?

Was there any issues legally involved in recording under the Thin Lizzy name?
Gorham: We never even got it that far. I’ve been asked this before. On reflection, probably Phil’s family (his widow Caroline controls the estate) would not have liked it had we recorded under the Thin Lizzy name for whatever the reasons, but I don’t really know.

All I know is that I think we made the right decision. I feel good about it. Thin Lizzy will be back on the road at some point and we include some Thin Lizzy songs in our set. Remember, we’ve only got one album as Black Star Riders. I could tell you what Lizzy songs we’ll be playing on Saturday night, but that will spoil it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/it-s-thin-lizzy-but-not-as-you-know-it-the-boys-are-back-in-town-again-1.1625686

This article states that Downey and Phils' wife and daughters own the Thin Lizzy name.

Damon Johnson in the interview stated Lynott's family apparently was ok using the name for touring but has concerns about new music under the Lizzy Name. And since Downey did tour with Gorham under the Lizzy name after Phil passed on he probably has no issue with Scott carrying on touring under the Lizzy banner.

THIN LIZZY guitarist Damon Johnson told Metal Express Radio during a recent interview about the name change: "There's other bands out there that are established with new lead singers and different members of the band. They've made new music without their most famous lineup. We thought for a while that's exactly what we were going to do, and the songs were written under that umbrella: 'We've got to make a THIN LIZZY record.' That raised the bar incredibly high. It was a question for Brian [Downey, drums] and Scott [Gorham, guitar] all along."

He continued: "We're grateful for the massive support we've got from Phil's family, his widow and his daughters. They've been very supportive of everything that THIN LIZZY has done, particularly since Ricky joined. But I know they expressed some concern about the concept of brand-new original material. I get it, man, I totally get it.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/thin-lizzy-new-band-name-revealed/

This post was modified 3 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : September 22, 2021 1:49 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham 

Great TWIN LEAD GUITAR and it isn't Duane and Dickey or Warren or Derek or Sid Vicious. 

Posted : September 22, 2021 7:03 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@bill_graham 

Great TWIN LEAD GUITAR and it isn't Duane and Dickey or Warren or Derek or Sid Vicious. 

Great video RD, and I did like the Moore/ Gorham twin lead combo, but IMHO nothing beats Lizzy when Robbo was playing with Gorham.

Posted : September 22, 2021 7:06 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Yeah they were ( Robbo/Gorham) hot. I think Gary was in Thin Lizzy briefly wasn't he? I seem to remember noticing that when I watched a Gary Moore overview of his career just after he died now about 10 years ago. 

I clearly remember the footage and parts about Peter Green and Rory Gallagher and how close and friendly Moore was with Green and Gallagher. I was aware of the Peter Green connection and the Greeny Les Paul guitar but wasn't aware Gary and Rory were very close and in their lean years often helped each other out with amps etc. All three were real fine players. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : September 22, 2021 7:27 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@robertdee Moore was in Lizzy 3 seperate very short times but only recorded one album with them, Black Rose, which some fans think was one of the band's best.

I saw Lizzy live with Robbo in 1977 and again opening for Queen at MSG with Gary Moore. Both amazing concerts and Lizzy pushed Queen to up their game.

Moore was the most talented guitar player to play in Lizzy but Robbo could give him a run for his money and meshed with Gorham better IMHO.

Posted : September 22, 2021 7:37 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham

Gary with Phil! There is a statue of Phil in Dublin, Ireland.  I have a good friend who lives in Ireland and we use to meet in New York City and Phil was HUGE in Ireland and the U.K. 

I think drugs took him at age 36. 

Alcohol got Gary at age 58. Gary was in Spain on vacation and just boozed it up so much he had a lethal level of liquor in his blood stream when he died in his sleep. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : September 22, 2021 9:19 pm
fender31
(@fender31)
Noble Member

Black Star Riders are good.

Posted : September 26, 2021 7:17 am
Share: