6 Users
6 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

I highly (soberly, too!) recommend Ron Wood's solo LP, "Gimme Some Neck".  One of my favorite albums of the day ... maybe of all time.  Guest appearances by Mick and Keith, Jim Keltner, Dave Mason and many others.  I just wore the grooves off of my vinyl copy!

Posted : October 16, 2021 9:52 am
oldcoot reacted
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Posted by: @rusty

I highly (soberly, too!) recommend Ron Wood's solo LP, "Gimme Some Neck".  One of my favorite albums of the day ... maybe of all time.  Guest appearances by Mick and Keith, Jim Keltner, Dave Mason and many others.  I just wore the grooves off of my vinyl copy!

Couldn't agree more Rusty. I've said "Gimme" is the best Rollng Stones record of the last 30 years, not by a member of The Stones, the most authentic and Stones sounding. "Slide On This" was a pretty good follow up release too. The live "Slide" release also has Chuck on keyboards. 

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : October 16, 2021 11:48 am
Rusty reacted
redhouse1969
(@redhouse1969)
Reputable Member

I had the Gimmie some neck when it first came out... can barely remember it at this point though...

I did just pick up Ronnie's newest CD "Mr. Luck" - Jimmy Reed tribute show. Also has Mick Taylor on it as well. Worth a listen

Posted : October 21, 2021 8:39 am
CB
 CB
(@cb)
Estimable Member

Ron Wood has a couple of really good recent live albums, too.  One is a tribute album to Chuck Berry, called "Mad Lad", the other is a tribute to Jimmy Reed called "Mr. Luck."   

I've always loved his version of "Seven Days".

Posted : October 23, 2021 10:43 am
Rusty reacted
CB
 CB
(@cb)
Estimable Member

Ron Wood also has two really good recent live albums.  2019's "Mad Lad" a tribute to Chuck Berry and 2021's "Mr. Lucky" a tribute to Jimmy Reed.

I think it is interesting that the guitarist on Eric Clapton's "Rainbow Concert" were EC, Ron Wood and Pete Townsend.  It isn't difficult to tell how is doing which parts on that album.

I've always loved Ron Wood's version of "Seven Days".

iTunes also has a couple of live "New Barbarians" albums.

Posted : October 23, 2021 11:58 am
Rusty reacted
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member

Ronnie's first solo album is from 1974 or so, called "I've Got My Own Album to Do." It is wonderful - it's the lost Stones album!! Jagger, Richards, and Taylor are all on it. Great stuff

Posted : October 23, 2021 9:11 pm
Rusty reacted
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Posted by: @jimsheridan

Ronnie's first solo album is from 1974 or so, called "I've Got My Own Album to Do." It is wonderful - it's the lost Stones album!! Jagger, Richards, and Taylor are all on it. Great stuff

I was personally surprised how ballad-y it was, not as much "romping" tunes as a typical Stones release. Still very good with an amazing list of guests. 

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : October 28, 2021 5:43 pm
Share: