The Allman Brothers Band
Gov't Mule: Lockdow...

Notifications
Clear all

Gov't Mule: Lockdown Interviews (YouTube)

9 Posts
6 Users
2 Likes
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

'tMule

Got turned on to this via a Mule group on Facebook.  Just over 5 minutes, band members reveal what they did with their time during the COVID lockdown.  I'm catching the Mule at Outlaw Music Festival at Shoreline Amphitheatre 10/23.  Willie Nelson, Avett Brothers, Lucinda Williams (I'm a Lucinda fan).  First time catching the Mule since September 2018 at The Fox in Oakland and that was probably the best Mule show I have EVER been to.  I'm ready!!  In a Festival setting like this I am hoping like hell they do not get limited to only an hour set.

This topic was modified 2 years ago 3 times by robslob

Posted : October 16, 2021 2:20 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

That would be like 5 songs ..... Laugh  

Posted : October 16, 2021 11:25 pm
Buzzy82
(@buzzy82)
Trusted Member

That was very cool to hear some insight from Matt

"It's heavy; lay your burden down" WH

Posted : October 17, 2021 1:11 am
Buzzy82
(@buzzy82)
Trusted Member

And thank God for that that Smile

"It's heavy; lay your burden down" WH

Posted : October 17, 2021 1:11 am
Chain
(@chain)
Noble Member

Very cool interview......Hard to believe it's been nearly 30 years since Gov't Mule formed.  I first saw them in 1995 at a small bar/music venue called "Captain Trips Rain Forest Preserve" in Utica, NY.  

It was on a cold mid week December evening. I think it was a Wednesday night and the following evening they appeared on Conan O'Brien's first late night TV show on NBC....

God am I getting old!

Posted : October 17, 2021 9:28 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@chain 

I envy you having seen the band so early in their life with Woody as I didn't get into them until he passed on. They are my favorite live band that still tours these days.

According to Warrenbase your concert was on December 28th 1995.

http://www.warrenhaynes.net/warrenbase/listing/Govt%20Mule/1995

You may already know this but you can listen to that concert on sugarmegs. You can even download the mp3 if you like.

I downloaded all the available 1994 shows, many of which are SB recordings as the band used to allow tapers to plug directly into the sound board back in the early days until a fan spilled a beer on the board.

You can even listen to their very first concert as a band, May 12, 1994, which is an excellent audience recording.

Have a happy Mule Sunday!

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : October 17, 2021 10:57 am
robslob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham I saw them several times with Allen Woody. About three times in Winston Salem, NC near Wake Forest University. It think it was called the Oak Cooler. That may not be right. There was a restaurant nearby called the 19th Green and later it was Mexican called Fats something on 30th Street. Warren and Allen liked to eat there. I got to chat with them several times but they never invited me to sit with them. Once in 1995 Kirk West was with them and Allen was excited about his bass solo on 2nd Set by the Allman Brothers. Kirk said that the album wasn't selling worth a *+-#. I told him the compilation album 1969-1979 A Decade of Hits just went double platinum (2 million copies). Kirk said last year's studio album went Gold (500,000 copies) and was the first new release to do so since 1979's Enlightened Rouges but the old stuff has been selling good since they reformed in 1989. I said on the Dreams box set, Dickey is listed as backing vocals on Revival but Dickey in 1986 when I got to talk to him and ask about the background vocals for Revival, Dickey said it was all six of the band members singing together. Kirk said " Hey man that is a good thing to know". 

At my first Mule show someone in the small club yelled between songs " PLAY ALL NIGHT!". And Warren said "Where have I heard that before?"

Mother Earth was my favorite Mule song back then. I remember they played Kinda Bird and Warren said " Here is something I wrote with Dickey Betts". 

Posted : October 17, 2021 1:08 pm
Chain
(@chain)
Noble Member

@bill_graham 

Thanks for the kind wishes, bill....I have a copy of the show burned onto a cd. There's two particularly funny parts of the evening when Matt and Allen both make some funny comments during various breaks in the show that are easily heard on the copy I have...

Allen Woody makes fun of the fact that their roadie gave him a pink pick and Matt mentions to the crowd that their first cd is now available and that the next night they will be on Conan O'Brien's show so "be sure to stay up late!"  

The neatest thing is me and my three other buds who attended the show were literally standing three feet from Warren just outside the venue prior to the show. He was standing there by himself just checking out the street, the people waiting outside, relaxing, and taking in the sights of Utica on a cold, snowy night.

To this day I still think we were the only four people out on the street who knew who he was as we were big Warren and ABB fans.  And there were maybe 75-100 people at the show as the bar couldn't hold many more than that.  On occasion when we still get together all these years later these same friends of mine and I reflect back on this show.  We chuckle about this encounter and our being too timid to say hello to Warren.  

Thing is we had just came from around the corner where we had smoked a huge joint of some very potent Canadian cannabis and were so freshly baked that we were too paranoid to say hello to him. This was at a time when hydroponically grown bud was all the rage in western, central, and upstate, NY.  In those days it was referred to as "BC Bud."  It's probably just as well we didn't engage with him as we would have babbled our brains out to him and possibly made complete fools of ourselves. 

Ah, those were the days.....

Posted : October 17, 2021 4:24 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@chain 

Thanks for sharing chain, great times and memories. 

Posted : October 17, 2021 9:04 pm
Share: