The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Richard Lloyd, "the alchemical guitarist," crushes Fairfield CT

JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Peach Extraordianire

I just got back from seeing Richard Lloyd play a really great set. 

Guitarists on this site know Richard Lloyd, but here's the deal: in the 1980s, his band Television threw guitar fans for a loop. They were a 2-guitar band that jammed, but their jamming was very angular, quirky, and non-bluesy. Yet they were not prog like King Crimson. I would say that Nels Cline from Wilco owes a lot of his sound to them. They avoided blues-rock cliches and guitar-hero pomposity while still being virtuosos. 

Richard Lloyd went on to do some cool solo stuff but also play lead guitar on the perfect trio of Matthew Sweet albums in the 90s: Girlfriend, Altered Beast, and 100% Fun. 

His solo shows now offer a handful of Television songs and some of his solo stuff. His 4-piece band is punchy and tight. It is all killer and no filler. 

For a while, he wrote a column in Guitar World called "The Alchemical Guitarist" that was over my head, but it is worth investigating.  

Topic starter Posted : September 23, 2021 12:23 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

I remember seeing this song by him on TV a few years ago. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2021 7:47 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Jim. Have you seen Rick before? I haven't but been told his band is tight tight, vocals fantastic and his rhythm guitar is real good. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2021 8:08 pm
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Peach Extraordianire

Robertdee,

That first video you posted, "Elevation," is a Television song. I dig it. Thanks for posting!

I'm not sure who the Rick is in the second song, but that is a solid performance. 

I'm not a big fan of the song "Everlong" or the Foo Fighters overall. I think Dave Grohl & co are good musicians, and they have great attitudes, and I love that they spend time saluting other musicians rather than being whiny bitches. They celebrate the many great things about rock'n'roll. I think my beef with them is kind of how I felt about Jeff Lynne in the 90s - while he was in the mix with great musicians and doing good stuff, I thought his particular approach involved a certain amount of compression, studio gloss, and homogenization. It was still always good stuff, but I like a little more rawness and weirdness. 

Tom Petty's last 2 solo albums got him back to that. "Mojo" and "Electric Eye" are willful and weird - still very steeped in classic rock influence of course, but with some rawness. The best Richard Lloyd stuff has that too. 

Here is Richard Lloyd playing with Matthew Sweet in 1993: the video is from the grunge heyday, and the song is a good garage rock rave-up, but consider how anarchic the lead guitar is compared to what we might hear from the Foo Fighters. Again, it's not a question of "better," I just dig the angular weirdness here more. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 24, 2021 12:48 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@jimsheridan I'm sorry. That is Rick Ashley performing with his band in a London pub. 

The Matthew Sweet performance with Richard on guitar is real good. That is a jamming little tune. Richard is all over that Stratocaster. Real nice bends, vibrato and gets a good bend with the whammy bar. Unique tone too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2021 5:55 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Way cool Richard Lloyd. Nice song. Good vocals. Crazy guitar solos with a FLANGED tone and a very different structure of notes. Jumping, pumping bass player and solid rhythm player and drums. 

Very refreshing sound. Very different. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2021 12:57 am
Share: