The Allman Brothers Band
Possible Fillmore E...

Notifications
Clear all

Possible Fillmore East (March 13th 1971) Footage?

11 Posts
7 Users
2 Likes
andyvannoy
(@andyvannoy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Check out these images posted on facebook today. They look like they could be from video. That last image…

09E8EE8B 4BFA 4419 9E7A 0C7EE4EF752E
D8D03F90 A4D3 4724 B802 0D8DBA18F36E
35CB4B50 E58C 42F4 B618 B0158CEE5B53
F3383E17 385A 4AEC 9EE7 89EA38E41C69

Posted : June 19, 2022 11:32 pm
Randall reacted
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

My my what have we here? That would certainly be a mind blower of a find. 

Posted : June 20, 2022 7:26 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

The Fillmore did have a closed circuit TV system snd Graham was known to video tape shows so you never know.

Posted : June 20, 2022 11:04 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Yes it could be. Looks as if Duane is playing the sunburst (red) Les Paul he moved too after the Goldtop. With the Goldtop's pickups. But wasn't he playing the tobacco burst (brown) Les Paul at the Fillmore in 1971? No maybe the sunburst? I can't remember. Dickey was playing the sunburst LP at the Fillmore in March 1971 he later gave to Dangerous Dan Toler and Danny sold it many years later I think to a collector. In June Dickey was on a Goldtop and Duane had the tobacco burst at the Fillmore. One Way Out on Eat A Peach is from June, 1971 at the Fillmore. Dickey's tone then was a good as it gets!! 

Posted : June 21, 2022 8:54 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Okay according to what I have here from the internet on Duane Allman's equipment....Duane WAS using the sunburst Les Paul on At Fillmore East!! Duane changed to a 1958 Gibson Les Paul Standard tobacco burst in June 1971. 

So the pictures very well could be March at the Fillmore. 

This source has Duane playing a Fender Telecaster with a Stratocaster NECK and a Marshall amp with six 10-inch speakers and two horns for his live setup for the Allman Joys and The Hourglass. 

For his session work at Muscle Shoals including the famous solo that caused Clapton to call Jerry Wexler and inquire about who the guitarists is, Hey Jude by Wilson Pickett, Duane's set up was a 1954 Fender Stratocaster, Fender Twin Reverb with JBL speakers, Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face with 9 volt batteries for extra distortion. The 54 Strat is now at the London Hard Rock Cafe in the vault with pictures of Wilson Pickett and Duane. 

When Duane was sitting in with Second Coming and forming his own band for Phil Walden, Duane was playing a 1961 Fender Stratocaster. No mention of amps. By the time they got to the ABB's first album Duane decided to play a 1962 Gibson ES-345 simi-hollow body. (That is not a Les Paul on the first album?) 

Next Duane found a 1957 Goldtop Les Paul Standard he liked and began playing live with that. The serial number is 7 3312. It was traded on September 16, 1970 for a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst except for the pickups. Duane liked the Goldtop pickups better and had them moved to the sunburst. 

QUESTION!!!??? When Derek, Warren and others play Duane's Goldtop at special concerts...DOES IT HAVE THE PICKUPS DUANE USED AND MOVED TO THE SUNBURST???

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : June 21, 2022 11:37 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

QUESTION!!!??? When Derek, Warren and others play Duane's Goldtop at special concerts...DOES IT HAVE THE PICKUPS DUANE USED AND MOVED TO THE SUNBURST???

@robertdee- seems to be rd. Other than some restoration work and a refinish it appears the goldie still has the sunburst PAF's Duane had swapped from the sunburst.

https://duaneallman.info/duaneallmansthreebelovedlespauls.htm

https://duaneallman.info/duaneallmanshotlanta.htm

Nice article on the goldie

https://duaneallman.info/thelaylaguitar.htm

This post was modified 2 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : June 21, 2022 1:40 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Wow all of those were great reads. Thank you so much. It seems there is a little uncertainty on a few things from that many years ago. 

The main thing is all three guitars are in good hands and preserved like fine art. 

Duane's 1954 Stratocaster he used while working at Muscle Shoals is in a vault at the Hard Rock Cafe in London, England. How did that happen? It should be at a Muscle Shoals museum. 

The Les Paul Dickey played on At Fillmore East was sold to a collector by Dan Toler just a few years before Danny passed. It should be at the Big House. 

So Clapton is on an entirely different level of fame than players such as Warren and Derek. Well when you are as famous as Clapton, Mick Jagger or Keith Richards and worth $400 million dollars you have several layers between you and us peasants out in the slums of the world. Sorry Duane's daughter couldn't get one little call through. 

I do remember in the 1970's in Rolling Stone or some magazine Clapton was asked who are some guitar players that impress you? And this stuck in my memory because of one of the players...Clapton said "Living or dead too because there are Jimi Hendrix and DUANE ALLMAN"!

Posted : June 21, 2022 7:27 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
Looziana_Lou
(@looziana_lou)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @andyvannoy

Check out these images posted on facebook today. They look like they could be from video. That last image…

09E8EE8B 4BFA 4419 9E7A 0C7EE4EF752E
D8D03F90 A4D3 4724 B802 0D8DBA18F36E
35CB4B50 E58C 42F4 B618 B0158CEE5B53
F3383E17 385A 4AEC 9EE7 89EA38E41C69

Is there any context to this FB post?  Can you share the link?

Some of the pics look like they were taken from a TV / Monitor.

Posted : June 21, 2022 11:00 pm
Joe_the_Lurker
(@joe_the_lurker)
Reputable Member

WOW.  Bummer that the photographer is behind somebody always blocking Duane's guitar!  I'm going to surmise that these are photos not video stills, but I really hope it's video!

Posted : June 22, 2022 2:51 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

According to a recent Instagram post, these are photos by Dennis DeMatteo from December 11-12 Fillmore East shows.

EDIT: I think the IG post is wrong.

Another person cites March 13 1971, which makes more sense since Thom Doucette wasn't listed as a guest for the Dec 1970 shows.

However, I'm not so sure. Duane's cherry burst LP had kluson tuners, this appears to have kidney bean tuners. BUT Duane's goldtop did not have a poker chip on the switch. I remember there was confusion regarding the Painter's Mill cover photo, and I think it was confirmed Duane had borrowed one of Dickey's LPs.

Here is Duane on stage at American University, December 13 1970, playing what appears to be the same guitar (that is neither the cherry nor his gold top)

15. Duane @ American U Twiggs

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : June 23, 2022 9:05 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob The guitars look right for March 1971. Both Duane and Dickey have mostly red Les Paul's. 

I found some pictures of Dan Toler's Les Paul Dickey gave him and it was said Dickey played it on At Fillmore East but not on One Way Out on Eat A Peach recorded in June, 1971. Dickey had moved to a Goldtop and to my ears a better tone than the Fillmore album's recordings. And before and after Danny sold it, it's the same color body we see on these March Fillmore pictures. 

Indeed the One Way Out tone is one of the best I've heard. Dickey's tone with that Goldtop is tops to me. 

But Trouble No More is real good too both Duane and Dickey. All six of them on Trouble No More on Eat A Peach are simply excellent. 

Posted : June 23, 2022 3:02 pm
Share: