"Going Down Slow" ABB, Tampa 1970

21 Posts
7 Users
3 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I think I've listened to this show before, but forgot about this tune featured in the set. From a Gregg-less show in Tampa, 1970.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : June 20, 2022 2:12 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

That was fantastic!! Yeah I guess it was Duane trying to cover some time because Gregg was sick and not at the show. 

Of course we know Jerry Wexler of Atlantic Records sold Duane's contract to Phil Walden who was convinced Duane Allman had big potential and Phil's plan was for Duane to form at hot trio to follow in the footsteps of Jimi Hendrix Experience and Cream and the money was paid for Duane to go into Muscle Shoals and record his first album. Phil introduced Jaimoe to Duane as a possible drummer and Duane wanted to steal Berry Oakley. Johnny Sandlin was the producer but Jaimoe had no studio experience and was very uncomfortable with it so Johnny Sandlin played the drums. Jaimoe would rehearse with the band in another studio. Well Duane decided they wouldn't be another Jimi Hendrix Experience or Cream so Duane shelved the sessions with Going Down Slow showing up on 1972's Duane Allman Anthology. 

Dickey said Berry suggested to Duane to add Dickey because when they played together it was way cool. Anyway when they finally arrived in Macon they were a six piece not three and needed thousands of dollars for equipment and Phil Walden wasn't expecting all that. 

This is a great version with Duane playing slide on this version and Dickey playing a real fine blues solo!! They don't seem to know when in 1970. Dickey played a Strat the first third, an SG the second third and a Les Paul the last third of 1970 but Dickey is one of those players Derek talked about in his recent interview that has their signature sound no matter guitar and amp. And with just audio, it's hard sometimes to tell what type of guitar Dickey is playing. I think it is a Les Paul. But I'm not sure. 

Duane is my favorite slide player. I guess because how it grabbed me and moved me so much with the energy that shot out my way when I experienced it and the band the first time. To me Duane's slide playing just had more raw energy that grabs me to this day. Back then people who weren't completely nuts about the Allman Brothers like me would tell me Ry Cooder was better or Elmore James, Johnny Winter etc. I still read and get told Ry Cooder is the best slide player and Ry is great but next to Duane for me it's a tossup between Derek and Jack Pearson with Warren right behind them. 

Posted : June 20, 2022 10:55 pm
aiq
 aiq
(@aiq)
Reputable Member

The “other” Tampa show I just blew off with “I’ll catch them next time”.  Of course no one knew Mr. Allman was appearing with that English politician.

Oh well, you can’t do everything in life and I am grateful to have heard the original band a few times.

Mr. Betts shines here and Reece Wynans’ playing is always fine.

This post was modified 2 years ago by aiq

Posted : June 21, 2022 11:21 am
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member

What does Duane say at 6:09 "I can't sing, but this thing can"?

Posted : June 22, 2022 6:50 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@crosseyedcat Yes that is what it sounds like to me. 'I can't sing but this thing can" 

Since Duane's solo then starts I imagine he is referring to his guitar. 

Posted : June 22, 2022 8:31 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Just listening to this recording again and at 3:50 Dickey's guitar sounds like a Stratocaster to me. Yesterday I thought it sounded like a Les Paul. Dickey sounds like Dickey on any guitar so it's hard to tell what he is playing before he became a Les Paul man. Then in 1994 Dickey began changing guitars but if there is video no problem. 

If it is a Strat then this would be in the first months of 1970. 

Posted : June 22, 2022 8:41 am
aiq
 aiq
(@aiq)
Reputable Member

https://allmanbrothersband.com/event/abb19710715/

Posted : June 24, 2022 10:43 am
Randall reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@aiq Wow $4.50 in advance and 5:50 day of show. Dancing allowed and bring a blanket. 

Those prices are so cheap it's makes you wonder if the guys made that much money off their shows. 

I think Gregg said Duane had just gotten a nice check for At Fillmore East then he died. Then after Eat A Peach the money began to pour in. Gregg said then instead of being piled up in the Windbag and eating at cheap restaurants it was " Order anything you like boys".

Posted : June 24, 2022 9:33 pm
Randall
(@randall)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @aiq

https://allmanbrothersband.com/event/abb19710715/

Melting Pot was one of the opening acts on that bill.  That was probably the same Melting Pot that Dan Toler played in. 

Posted : June 25, 2022 10:22 am
harvey reacted
MartinD28
(@martind28)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@aiq Wow $4.50 in advance and 5:50 day of show. Dancing allowed and bring a blanket. 

Those prices are so cheap it's makes you wonder if the guys made that much money off their shows. 

I think Gregg said Duane had just gotten a nice check for At Fillmore East then he died. Then after Eat A Peach the money began to pour in. Gregg said then instead of being piled up in the Windbag and eating at cheap restaurants it was " Order anything you like boys".

Remember that back in the late '60's & into the '70's the cost of living was much cheaper that today. Without doing some research, it's hard for me to say if what they were being paid was relative to the times or not nor how it compares relatively to today's prices.

BTW - the first ABB concert I saw was free in 1970 underwritten by sponsors. The second I saw was in 1971 & front row tickets were $6.00.

Posted : June 25, 2022 7:30 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

@robertdee 

Musicians often don't/didn't make $ off the shows. Sometimes, they got a flat fee from the promoter. For a long time, touring was a promotional requirement to get their name out & sell albums & merchandise. Songwriters are the ones who always make money no matter who performs their songs or where it's used (movies, TV, video games, ringtones, etc.) 

Posted : June 26, 2022 1:51 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@cyclone88 Well years ago, maybe when the ABB had Enlightened Rogues coming out in 1979, it was mentioned in a couple of articles that Eat A Peach and Brothers and Sisters sold millions of copies and it made Dickey and Gregg millionaires. 

At Fillmore East was Gold (500,000) copies in 1971 but it sold over 1 MILLION copies after Eat A Peach and Brothers and Sisters. 

Also a 1991 catalog album titled 1969-1979 A Decade Of Hits sold over 2 million copies. It featured tracks from the first ABB album to Enlightened Rogues and Butch was outraged when he found out it sold that many copies. Butch Trucks fussed about it several times in his blog in the 1990s. Butch was angry that Dickey and Gregg made well over a million dollars off that and Butch and the rest of the band made NOTHING!! Any ABB money went to the song writers ONLY. And Butch was angry at Dickey for not letting him have a writing credit on Elizabeth Reed and later Madness Out Of The West on Reach For The Sky. Butch wrote drum parts tailored for each song. 

I posted on his blog and ask him why didn't he go to Duane Allman on Liz Reed. Butch wrote a response and said HE DID!! Butch said Duane sided with Dickey and said whichever member brings in a song we use gets the writing credit regardless of what changes and additions the band makes. 

I guess that is the case with cover songs. The Allman Brothers put their stamp by how they arranged the cover songs they chose and no matter who came up with music parts unique to the Allman Brothers, only the writer on those cover songs get the writing credit so I see Duane's point. 

But on the other hand it creates hurt feelings on original material for the band. They did have an entire band credit on Hot 'Lanta. Gregg began playing a cool riff on the organ at a sound check and Dickey thought of a melody line, ran up to Gregg humming it in Gregg's ear and the rest of the band took it from there. 

Seeing Gregg Allman and especially Dickey making so much money off writing and it not shared by the entire band is something that kept Butch irritated at Dickey all the way back to 1970 apparently. 

And apparently Dickey didn't give a crap how Butch felt about it.

Well I love Butch as a drummer and to me there is no question Dickey was responsible for many wonderful songs for the ABB and was a great guitar player for the band and sang too. The ABB wouldn't be the same band if Dickey had not been in it. 

Perhaps Dickey made a lot more money because Dickey was more talented?? 

Posted : June 26, 2022 2:32 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@martind28 What was your impression of the ABB in 1970 and 71? 

My first time was early 1970 and the energy and sound coming off Duane's slide guitar and the rest of the band in sync with that with other layers of sound zapped me before Gregg sang the first words of Statesboro Blues. A friend had already played their first album to me and it was cool and good but I didn't get zapped and sucked in like some drug or religious experience until he talked me into seeing the ABB live. 

I was hooked before the first song was over. 

Posted : June 26, 2022 4:19 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

@cyclone88  

Perhaps Dickey made a lot more money because Dickey was more talented?? 

I'm not the person to ask that question, but there are so many stories of so many bands w/conflicts over money once they realized it was the songwriters who made the most. I really just wanted to make the point for some groups, touring wasn't their primary source of income so a $5 ticket that hooked hundreds of people into buying an LP or 2 plus tee shirts for one performance wasn't a bad deal. If it's a good band, it also gets them larger venues over time w/rising ticket prices & better record deals. If it's a great band that lasts several decades, they all (songwriter or not) make more $ than if they'd never joined. 

Posted : June 26, 2022 4:50 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@cyclone88 Oh yes I understand. I guess I didn't make my point clear. Yes I should have said the Allman Brothers played over 100 shows in 1969, over 300 shows in 1970 and over 200 shows in 1971 yet it was the song writing of Gregg and Dickey on Eat A Peach, Brothers and Sisters and each had a song on At Fillmore East, that made Dickey and Gregg millionaires!! 

Butch Trucks was a fantastic drummer with incredible chops and stamina. I think I would argue Jaimoe may have been more tasty and creative. But yes Dickey would have to be more talented than Butch Trucks. 

But it isn't fair to say such a thing. Blue Sky, Jessica and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed wouldn't sound like the Allman Brothers without the unique drumming of Butch and Jaimoe. 

Posted : June 26, 2022 5:30 pm
MartinD28
(@martind28)
Famed Member

@martind28 What was your impression of the ABB in 1970 and 71? 

My first time was early 1970 and the energy and sound coming off Duane's slide guitar and the rest of the band in sync with that with other layers of sound zapped me before Gregg sang the first words of Statesboro Blues. A friend had already played their first album to me and it was cool and good but I didn't get zapped and sucked in like some drug or religious experience until he talked me into seeing the ABB live. 

I was hooked before the first song was over. 

First time I ever heard an ABB tune back then was on great great AM radio station as I was driving down the road. First thought was I'd never heard a band like that before - just so unique & different. I think it was "Revival" I was hearing.

The '70 concert I was at was an intro, and they were really good. But it was the '71 show a few months before Duane's passing that blew me away. I was close enough to see chord changes & watch Duane's amazing slide playing. I was hooked then and for many years to come. BTW - Cowboy Boyer & Talton was the opener, as they were for many ABB shows.

Posted : June 26, 2022 5:38 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

Got it. Thought you were asking how they made $ w/such low prices.

Posted : June 26, 2022 5:44 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@martind28 Once Duane said Cowboy was his favorite band. 

Too bad Duane Allman didn't live to be much older. For his family and the fans. Duane may have burned out musically in a few more years but I doubt it. I think he was just getting started!! 

Posted : June 26, 2022 5:53 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@cyclone88  How about Duane Allman?? He could light up a stage like the Space Shuttle!!! My favorite slide player and I guess the top slide player when it comes to blasting you out of your seat!! 

Posted : June 26, 2022 6:32 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

@robertdee 

I was fortunate to see him twice. The first time he blasted me right out of my shoes!

Posted : June 26, 2022 6:44 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@cyclone88 The ABB had some very good lineups but after Duane it wasn't the same to me.  Duane had something special. 

Posted : June 26, 2022 8:19 pm
cyclone88 reacted
Share: