The Allman Brothers Band
Lost Session with P...

Notifications
Clear all

Lost Session with Peter Green w/Dickey Betts, Duane Allman, Toy Caldwell, and Eric Clapton

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
allmansrvvegas
(@allmansrvvegas)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I'm not sure if this old news or new

Posted : June 30, 2022 7:38 pm
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

I certainly hope this is not a joke but seems too good to be true. 

Posted : June 30, 2022 7:46 pm
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member

Hopefully I am wrong but I think it's old news, the quote comes from a Peter Green forum circa late 1990's. 

Posted : July 1, 2022 8:51 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I really like Peter Green. May he RIP. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 1, 2022 1:47 pm
andyvannoy
(@andyvannoy)
Eminent Member

I've seen mentions of this on other forums before. I've spoken with John Lynskey, The Big House president, about it and he said that sadly it is not true.

Posted : July 1, 2022 3:01 pm
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

I just found out you have to be signed in for the YouTube links like the two above to be activated. Wonder why that is? Seems a bit of a loss. The casual viewer doesn't get to see all the riches the forum has to offer about about the mighty Allman.

As for the alleged missing recordings of the great Peter Green et al, never give up hope. It took 70 years for the lost  recordings of Count Basie's fabulous tenor sax player Herschel Evans to surface, the Duane Allman of the tenor sax, for me anyway.

Posted : July 1, 2022 3:10 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@tenorsfan I had not heard of Evans. He was just 29 when he collapsed at a Basie show and died a few days later in 1939 apparently of heart attack. 

I saw Basie back Frank Sinatra in the mid 60's. Frank was the only white guy on stage and man did the Basie band out the swing into Frank's usual songs. Fantastic musicianship. 

Herschel Evans is on this if anyone wants to hear his smooth play and nice bends on some notes. 

Posted : July 2, 2022 2:05 pm
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

Yea, big band blogger  Mike Zirpolo made a nice saying about Herschel that could apply so nicely to Duane too, "He made a lifetime of music in just two short years". I like that.

Posted : July 2, 2022 6:03 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@tenorsfan Yes you would think guys like Herschel Evans, Duane Allman and others such as Robert Johnson or Jimi Hendrix ( what 1966-1970?) left such an incredible legacy to have died so young.  I want everyone to live to 100. It's a huge loss for these short lives. And incredible some left a big legacy. 

Actor James Dean is one and drummer/band leader Chick Webb is another. 

Can you imagine loosing Derek Trucks or Warren or B.B.King or most successful musician at 24??? It would be very difficult for most to leave a legacy like Duane Allman. 

Chick Webb died of Potts disease in 1939 at age 34. His legacy may have faded. The only reason I knew about Chick Webb is noted jazz and big band drummers who are all gone now would brag about Chick Webb being a huge influence on them in the 1930's. Max Roach, Louis Bellson, Joe Morello, Buddy Rich, Sonny Payne etc. Buddy Rich said Chick Webb was the daddy of us all. 

Ella Fitzgerald got her start with Chick Webb. Here is Chick on drums with his band if anyone is interested. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 2, 2022 10:08 pm
Share: