Los Lobos To Release Covers Album

21 Posts
7 Users
10 Likes
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-07-29/los-lobos-native-sons-covers-album?fbclid=IwAR3CJ1s8TmYiETPBsUMI8vcSC-ipiMOBxA3BsQXA56R9x_-BA-WyynwmROU

One of my favorite bands and always a treat to see live.

Posted : July 29, 2021 6:32 pm
Rusty reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Here's a sample:  Sail On Sailor

Posted : July 29, 2021 6:34 pm
IF
 IF
(@if)
Reputable Member

Posted : July 29, 2021 7:31 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Posted : July 29, 2021 8:42 pm
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

The most underrated rock band in the history of the game. They never disappoint. 

Posted : July 30, 2021 7:07 am
Rusty reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Interesting story. Love Los Lobos.

Several years ago At the last minute I found out they were doing a radio show (invite only) at The Cubby Bear, a bar across the street from Wrigley Field. Didn't have a ticket but I figured I would give it a shot. So I go there and I can't get in. Doorman wouldn't let me. Fortunately this guy standing next to me told the guy to let me in. No idea who he was but I guess he had some pull and I got in.

I figured there was a shot I might get to meet them and get autographs so I brought the cover of my Live at Fillmore DVD with me. I'm standing next to the soundboard, which is right by the stage. I start talking to this guy and he says he is an "in" with the band when they come to the Midwest. He lives in Milwaukee I think.

I told him I wanted this thing signed and he said he could do it. I didn't know if I believed him or not but I figured "what the hell"? I didn't get to go with them after the show but I gave him the cover. 

Didn't hear from him for a few weeks so I figured it was gone. The guy calls me and says he has my DVD cover, autographed by all of them. Awesome. Then he tells me what happened when they ended the show. They were staying downtown and the hotel kicked them out because they were so loud partying. In the middle of the night they had to find another place to stay. 

He sent me the autographed thing. It's wrinkled and folded but I have it. Lord knows what that thing went through in a hotel room. 😉 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : July 30, 2021 9:39 am
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@lee Did you meet Red Wolf?  He's their long-time road manager/soundman.  All of those guys are incredibly fan-friendly.  The first time that I saw Los Lobos was actually in a library in Hoover, AL (suburb of Birmingham).  The library had a very small lecture hall where the band played an all acoustic show.  Afterwards, they hung out, signed programs and shot the $hit in general with anybody that stopped by.  I bought a poster (a "Dia de la Muerte" looking piece) that they all signed.  I gave this gem to a dear friend who is a huge fan who was too sick to go.  Damnnit.  😉 

Posted : July 30, 2021 9:45 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @rusty

@lee Did you meet Red Wolf?  He's their long-time road manager/soundman.  All of those guys are incredibly fan-friendly.  The first time that I saw Los Lobos was actually in a library in Hoover, AL (suburb of Birmingham).  The library had a very small lecture hall where the band played an all acoustic show.  Afterwards, they hung out, signed programs and shot the $hit in general with anybody that stopped by.  I bought a poster (a "Dia de la Muerte" looking piece) that they all signed.  I gave this gem to a dear friend who is a huge fan who was too sick to go.  Damnnit.  😉 

No, I didn't meet anyone other than this young guy that got my thing signed. But I think I know who you are talking about. There was an older guy behind the board, the only one there so I guess that's who you mean. The guy I met spoke to him quite a bit so probably the same guy. It was a fun night. 😊 

Posted : July 31, 2021 8:00 am
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I saw them years ago open for the Grateful Dead. They had a tight, polished and impressive set. I don't want to step on anyone's toes that like the Grateful Dead for I always caught them when I could too and enjoyed them. 

Well the Dead was almost sloppy loose that night. A lot of noodling around that would slowly turn into a song. It was as if the Dead was making up their set list on the fly...so in away Los Lobos had the better set technically. 

And there was a very high chap to my left who kept pushing on my arm and shoulder wanting me to acknowledge that the bass player for the Grateful Dead was just outstanding! Just listen to that groove and bottom end he is laying down. And I kept telling him "THAT IS NOT THE GRATEFUL DEAD. ITS LOS LOBOS!!" He finally calmed down and sat down in his seat before Los Lobos finished. 

This guy SLEPT through the entire Grateful Dead part. A woman was trying to get him conscious and up on his feet when I left. 

He didn't see The Grateful Dead that night ....but he thought he did!!!  I bet he was bragging about the bass player for the Dead all day the next day:)

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 31, 2021 8:51 am
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@robertdee Not to come off sacrilegious or anything, but i saw the Grateful Dead a few times during the Jerry days.  Truth be told - they rambled and musically digressed ... often.  Several minutes between songs while (I presume) they charted out their lengthy forays and ramblings.  I confess that I nodded off a couple of times - sober as a judge, I was.  I saw them several more times in the immediate post-Jerry days (Warren and Jimmy and just Warren).  I've got to say that were more ... purposeful, if that is a good description.  I confess to not being an actual "Dead Head" by any means.  I've seen Los Lobos 5 or 6 times - always a treat!  

Posted : July 31, 2021 10:02 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty Yeah I hear you. Jerry had serious drug problems. It got so bad Jerry would refuse to play in towns where he didn't know if he could replenish his stash if he was low. Jerry died in rehab at age 53. Checked in many times and just couldn't turn the corner. Remember Rolling Stone reporting the autopsy doctor said Jerry had internal organs that looked like an 83 year old man instead of 53. 

I got hooked on the Allman Brothers big time in early 1970 and apparently they had drugs around too and I was a pot smoker then but the ABB, while some shows were better than others, came to play and boogie. The first time in early 1970 and I didn't know exactly who was who in the band then, Duane Allman's slide and how the rest of them were so tight and locked in, just shook me and hooked him. It was like getting hooked on some religion when you didn't expect it. Gregg and sometimes Dickey too began to go on too high and perhaps uninterested in 1975 and 76. And Dickey again in the late 90's although I saw him with Jack Pearson and Derek Trucks the next year and Dickey was really bringing it. But they say he was too far in the bag and too much of a bully much of the time after about 1995 or 96. 

Jerry Garcia while not being a bully, was way too high to play for years. That is why their shows generally are considered loose and a bit sloppy. 

But thousands and thousands of Deadheads love it. It was like a religion or cult. Many were at every show anywhere in the world. They would get inventive to have the money to follow the band around. 

Warren Haynes and Jimmy Herring are fantastic musicians and never go on stage blasted. Funny that Jerry Garcia was way more famous and richer than Warren and Jimmy probably will ever be. That is the way it happens in rock and roll though sometimes. 

Actually Jerry wasn't that much richer than Warren when he died. The estate was pegged at $15 million when he died but was worth $85 million. He was playing one ex-wife $250,000.00 a year in alimony and some years would spend more than he earned. Jerry really went through the money. His drug bill each year was way more than most men earn on their jobs. And it probably shortened his life. Likely he would have lived longer than 53 if he had gotten a handle on his drug habit. 

Posted : July 31, 2021 10:45 am
Rusty reacted
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Bobo's favorite all-time band. 

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : July 31, 2021 12:02 pm
salcapitano reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@oldcoot Old coot they should be one of everyone's favorite bands. They are that good. I always enjoy them. Check out the "tricked out" Tele!!!

Posted : July 31, 2021 3:32 pm
Rusty reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @oldcoot

Didn't he love Tom Petty too? CCR maybe as well.

Posted : July 31, 2021 4:01 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Another Los Lobos story. About five years ago they played at The Lincoln Park Zoo here in Chicago. I think it's like the largest free zoo in the country or something like that. Anyway, they played there and I kept waiting for them to play "I Got Loaded", my favorite song by them. Well, they never played it. I was bummed but then it dawned on me. This was a zoo with people pushing strollers full of little kids around. Probably inappropriate for the audience.

I don't know if they were kicked out of a hotel that night. 😉 

Posted : July 31, 2021 4:27 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@robertdee Several years ago, Los Lobos opened for Tedeschi/Trucks in Atlanta.  When they played "Mas y Mas", TTB drummers Tyler and JJ snuck up behind 'Lobos drummer, Cougar Estrada - reached underneath his arms and began playing the drum/percussion solo in the middle.  This was captured on the large projection screens.  Cougar was obviously surprised and just burst out laughing.   I wish that there was a video from this.

Posted : July 31, 2021 4:31 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty I few months ago I watched a video a couple of times of Los Lobos and Derek Trucks sat in for a few songs. Maybe it's the same tour. 

Los Lobos is a fine band and always seem to be in top form. I doubt any of them are into drugs or heaving drinking. 

I bet the Grateful Dead was afraid to dose their drinks with a water gun full of LSD. Los Lobos probably would have sued somebody. Gregg Allman got that pulled on him several times and became unable to play. Butch said they got him a couple of times and he was determined to play and it's hard when to you it looks as if your mounted tom and a couple of cymbals are floating off the stage and your arms look 40 feet long. 

This isn't the one I was talking about. Still looking. But Derek Trucks is here and they are doing one of Gregg's songs. 

Posted : July 31, 2021 9:00 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

They have a happy sound. Similar to the way I feel when I hear Blue Sky by the ABB. 

Posted : July 31, 2021 9:27 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Posted by: @lee

Another Los Lobos story. About five years ago they played at The Lincoln Park Zoo here in Chicago. I think it's like the largest free zoo in the country or something like that. Anyway, they played there and I kept waiting for them to play "I Got Loaded", my favorite song by them. Well, they never played it. I was bummed but then it dawned on me. This was a zoo with people pushing strollers full of little kids around. Probably inappropriate for the audience.

I don't know if they were kicked out of a hotel that night. 😉 

Here's Los Lobos playing an adaptation of "Kiko and the Lavender Moon" - as "ELMO and the Lavender Moon" on Sesame Street!  Yeah - kid friendly!  😉 

Posted : August 1, 2021 4:26 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Absolutely spot on he loved both of those groups. 

I remember Bob telling me that his favorite concert experience was a Lobos show in Pittsburgh. On the sly I tracked down a copy and sent it to him. He was thrilled. 

I miss Bob every single day. Captain Skipper too. 

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : August 1, 2021 7:55 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Absolutely spot on he loved both of those groups. 

I remember Bob telling me that his favorite concert experience was a Lobos show in Pittsburgh. On the sly I tracked down a copy and sent it to him. He was thrilled. 

I miss Bob every single day. Captain Skipper too. 

Yeah, Bobo was great.

He sent me a 1997 Tom Petty show from The Fillmore. John Lee Hooker sat in for three or four songs.

Posted : August 2, 2021 8:50 am
Share: