6 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
aiq
 aiq
(@aiq)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

May be of interest, he mentions Duane at the beginning.  R.I.P. 

This topic was modified 3 years ago by aiq

Posted : October 9, 2021 3:28 pm
PeachNutt and Rusty reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Thanks for sharing aig

I was a big fan of the J. Geils band and was lucky enough to have seen them at their peak in the early/mid 70's.

Also used to go see J Geils play in his Jazz group at a small tavern that held a couple of hundred people where you sat at tables and could eat dinner before and during the show, Bull Run Shirley MA., just before he passed on. He always would sign autographs after the show and chat with fans. Always a gentleman.

He was a very underrated guitarist and he played fantastic Jazz as a solo artist after his J. Geils band days.

Another of my favorite guitarists who have passed on.

Posted : October 9, 2021 7:05 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham I too saw J. Geils Band several times in the 1970's and then I was aware that Duane and J. were good friends. 

Always enjoyed their show. Somehow I wasn't aware he had passed away. I'm sorry to know that. 

Those archtop hollow body guitars where very popular back in the 1930's, 40's and 50's. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : October 9, 2021 7:32 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@robertdee Yeah, Geils passed away several years ago. Not much publicity on his passing but it hurt for me as I used to go see him play with his jazz trio at that small tavern a few times a year. Just a great night out for me and the misses.

He would even show up and hang at the back bar at some of the Bull Run shows, including a Mountain show I was at before West passed on, as he was friends with Leslie evidently.

Those old Gibson archtops were very popular with Jazz players, weren't they?

Posted : October 9, 2021 7:52 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Yeah those big archtop Gibson guitars were popular and still are in certain circles of music. And very good quality guitars. Western swing bands used them a lot too. 

Back in the 1970's several women I knew thought Peter Wolff was J. Geils. And it was understandable. Often you figure if a band is named after one of the members it would be the singer. 

But not so with Santana, Paul Revere and The Raiders and Van Halen. Marshall Tucker was named for a Spartanburg music store owner if I remember correctly. Lynyrd Skynyrd for a high school teacher so there are two named for someone not in the band. 

Posted : October 9, 2021 10:18 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I saw Magic Dick from the band probably 25 years ago. He was one of the openers at one of B.B. King's Blues Fests. Only time I ever saw Bobby Blue Bland actually. Magic Dick came out with a few openers as there were many. I think he sat in with Etta James.

The only time I saw the J Geils Band was about 10-12 years ago in Detroit and they were amazing. Chris Robinson's band opened and of course they were great.

I still think Live Full House is one of the best live albums ever. I think a bunch of it recorded in Detroit actually.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : October 10, 2021 8:30 am
Share: