Farewell to a Peach Head Battling Covid:

48 Posts
29 Users
47 Likes
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Here's a link to David's obituary notice.  If you've got kind thoughts and memories of David, please consider sharing them.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thebrunswicknews/obituary.aspx?n=david-byron-pirkle&pid=196809729&fhid=24443&utm_source=thebrunswicknews&utm_medium=RecentObituaries&utm_term=Name&utm_campaign=Widget

Wednesday night has long been "David Night" at my house. He'd come over and we'd grill out, play guitars and I'd watch David "doctor" orchids.   Suffice to say, I really felt David's absence last night.  It still doesn't seem right.  How can this be?

Posted : September 17, 2020 5:46 am
bluedad
(@bluedad)
Estimable Member

So many great times at Wanee with David camping right next or near to us......

Posted : September 17, 2020 7:43 am
Rusty reacted
BigDaveOnBass
(@bigdaveonbass)
Trusted Member

Sad to hear David has passed. Although it has been years since our paths crossed, I’ll remember with fondness the memories of WaneeFests and JFDs shared. COVID-19 sucks. I feel fortunate to have survived it in August. Rest in Peace, David. 🍑🍄❤️

Posted : September 17, 2020 8:12 am
Rusty reacted
BigDaveOnBass
(@bigdaveonbass)
Trusted Member

@slammer, how are you, brother? Sorry to see you under such sad circumstances. 

Posted : September 17, 2020 1:35 pm
rlittlewood
(@rlittlewood)
Trusted Member

found out bout pirkle today,,,,so sorry to hear he lost his battle,,,,,,,,he come all da way from brunswick to norristown 1 day just to meet cowboy,,,,,,,,he stayed all of a hour & went back home,,,,,,good dude he was

i are mrs. capt skipper

Posted : September 17, 2020 8:46 pm
Rusty and harvey reacted
Slammer
(@slammer)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @bigdaveonbass

@slammer, how are you, brother? Sorry to see you under such sad circumstances. 

Sad indeed. I'm well, Thanks for askin'.  It warms my heart to see some of David's old friends come around to pay him some respect. He was one hell of a guy for sure.

Reneed, that sounds so like David. At Wanee one year, after he quit attending the festival, he met me at a Waffle House on the Monday after,  driving over from the coast to hook up on the interstate to spend some quality time with me before my flight home.

Rusty, A million Thank Yous for letting us know and keeping us informed as David completed his  journey. Your friendship with David meant the world to Him. He spoke many times to me about the get togethers with you & Donna. He was so proud of that Zebo strap you gave him hidden under those tab books. I'm happy & grateful that you were there to help David when he needed it.

If I leave here tomorrow
Would you still remember me?
For I must be traveling on, now
Cause there's too many places I've got to see . . . . . .
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah

Every time I hear that song now, I'll smile and think of David 😀 

Posted : September 17, 2020 10:33 pm
Rusty and harvey reacted
hotlantatim
(@hotlantatim)
Prominent Member

I am very sorry to hear this sad news.  David was great.   Such a nice guy and absolutely hilarious.   We had some grand times together at multiple Wanees.  We tried unsucessfully to get him back down to Wanee the last few years.   

One of the most joyous days/nights of fun and community were spent with Freebird Dave at Wanee.   We had a monster jam session by the fire until late.....then after everyone retired, he kept us up making random commentary from his tent.  We were downright giddy across about 8 tents in the area.  People couldn't stop laughing.

And then he would help hold court in the morning with a cig & coffee with Bluedad, having us laugh some more

I'm so glad that you two connected Rusty and and spent time together.  And I'm very sorry for your loss.  What a character.  I wish I had gotten more time with him.  RIP David.

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by hotlantatim

Posted : September 18, 2020 11:19 am
PorkchopBob and Rusty reacted
absnj
(@absnj)
Reputable Member

So sad to hear this...

Posted : September 18, 2020 1:08 pm
hotlantatim
(@hotlantatim)
Prominent Member

Wanee David

One of our great camp fire jam nights at Wanee.

Posted : September 18, 2020 2:10 pm
bluedad, Wayne and Rusty reacted
Wayne
(@wayne)
Estimable Member

Nice to see Tan Dan in that shot too, another brother gone too soon.

Posted : September 19, 2020 8:02 am
PorkchopBob, harvey and Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

A couple more thoughts about David.

When I called the CCU last Tuesday, they gave me as much of a prognosis as they would to any non-family member.  "It's not good", was about all they could say.  This, after they'd told me that he was on life support the morning before.  So I sat all day with my phone on my lap - waiting for the call that I knew would come.  

At precisely 6:45 ... I began to feel my sinuses fill with snot ... tears streaming down my face.  

David's sister called me at about 8:30 PM with the news.  I let her talk for quite a while -telling me about David's final hours.  Then I asked her what David's time of death was.  I wasn't surprised at all to hear her say that David passed at 6:45.  I don't pay too much attention to psycho-babble and hooey, but I feel that David's spirit stopped by to say goodbye.

Next morning, I'm out on my daily walk.  I hear the shrill whistle of an Osprey overhead.  The Osprey followed me all along my walk route - giving that shrill whistle every minute or so.  Freebird?  Was that you?  

Posted : September 19, 2020 9:32 am
pixielf
(@pixielf)
Honorable Member

@rustyBeautiful story, Rusty.  As one who has lost many loved ones, take my advice.  DO listen to those signs from the universe especially in nature.  In my case it's usually in the form of a dragonfly.  I have stories for days of the encounters I've had with them.  I am always comforted.  They are still with us.  

Posted : September 19, 2020 12:58 pm
Rusty and harvey reacted
ABBDutchFan
(@abbdutchfan)
Noble Member

Sad news indeed. Sincere condolences to his family & friends.

Posted : September 20, 2020 8:23 am
nypeachhead
(@nypeachhead)
Trusted Member

Rest in Peace brother 

Posted : September 21, 2020 1:41 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

horrible news

RIP

Posted : September 21, 2020 3:14 pm
missuny1969
(@missuny1969)
Eminent Member

I'm so sorry Mr. David's passed away. I did not know him, but he sounds like a nice guy. At least he is not suffering anymore, and I hope he's in a better place.

Freelance artist by daylight, music lover also by daylight.

Posted : September 27, 2020 10:59 pm
Rusty reacted
brofan
(@brofan)
Estimable Member

Haven't posted here in years - The other day I was thinking how many "real" names of people I've met on here I've forgotten due to the ravages of time - But I digress.....

Saw Rusty's (who I HAVE met and is a WONDERFUL guy as well as one of funniest people I've had the pleasure of meeting) kind thread and was saddened to read of David Pirkle's passing. Can't remember if our paths ever crossed but whether they did or not I am very sorry to hear of his passing and wanted to extend my condolences to his family and to Rusty, as well. 

Be safe, all.... 

Posted : October 1, 2020 5:28 pm
Randall, Rusty and Zambi reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@brofan Hey Rich!  Been a long time!  I hope it's all good!

Posted : October 2, 2020 5:30 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: