Farewell to a Peach Head Battling Covid:

48 Posts
29 Users
47 Likes
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

A guy who used to post under the name of Freebird75 (David P) is in our local CCU battling the Covid Virus.  David is simply not a good candidate for the virus.  He was doing well a couple of days ago, but seems very weak today.  

Personally, I had been feeling optimistic about lower case numbers etc. around here.  I was thinking of slowly returning to dining out and music.  David says that he had been adhering to the program and doesn't know where or how he caught the virus.  I spent time with him the night before he felt symptoms - so me and mine got tested (all negative) the next day.

The Corona/Covid Virus is still a very real and mean animal right now.  Just that.

Posted : September 10, 2020 5:12 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Dang, really hate to hear this, hoping he gets past this fast. Everyone stay healthy and safe.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 10, 2020 5:16 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

So sorry to hear about David ... thanks for letting us know Rusty ... sure hope he pulls through

Posted : September 10, 2020 6:25 pm
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

Sending good vibes, prayers, whatever you want to call them to Freebird75 David P. Somebody play him some ABB to help him heal. 

Posted : September 10, 2020 7:22 pm
absnj
(@absnj)
Reputable Member

Prayers on the way Rusty.  If you were tested on the day after exposure, you may want to try that again, since it would be too soon to show any results.

Posted : September 11, 2020 1:06 pm
ssepr
(@ssepr)
Trusted Member

Hope you get well soon

Posted : September 11, 2020 1:38 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @absnj

Prayers on the way Rusty.  If you were tested on the day after exposure, you may want to try that again, since it would be too soon to show any results.

I should clarify:  I talked to David the day after he'd been admitted - which was nearly a week after our visit (day before symptoms).  So, I was tested 6 days after he first felt symptoms.  By the time of my (our) tests, at least a week had passed.  I'd get tested daily if I thought my nasal cavity could handle it! 

I am certainly not one to take this stuff lightly!  I pretty much live in a box.  I go to the grocer once a week and exercise (very) early in the mornings.  I'm no hypochondriac, but I live in fear of this virus!  There is the slight chance that I could be an asymptomatic carrier, but I think that is slight.

This probably should be in the WP, but I really wish the political types would stop insisting that everything's safe right now.  I'm glad that we're entering the off-tourist season here.  Less than a week after Labor Day and it already feels safer here.  

Just spoke to David's nurse - he's "stable" ... whatever that means.

Thank y'all for thinkin' of David!  

Posted : September 11, 2020 3:01 pm
harvey and PorkchopBob reacted
musicmann
(@musicmann)
Honorable Member

Positive vibes and prayers for him!!

Posted : September 11, 2020 3:47 pm
absnj
(@absnj)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @rusty
Posted by: @absnj

I should clarify:  I talked to David the day after he'd been admitted - which was nearly a week after our visit (day before symptoms).  So, I was tested 6 days after he first felt symptoms.  By the time of my (our) tests, at least a week had passed.  I'd get tested daily if I thought my nasal cavity could handle it! 

I am certainly not one to take this stuff lightly!  I pretty much live in a box.  I go to the grocer once a week and exercise (very) early in the mornings.  I'm no hypochondriac, but I live in fear of this virus!  There is the slight chance that I could be an asymptomatic carrier, but I think that is slight.

This probably should be in the WP, but I really wish the political types would stop insisting that everything's safe right now.  I'm glad that we're entering the off-tourist season here.  Less than a week after Labor Day and it already feels safer here.  

Just spoke to David's nurse - he's "stable" ... whatever that means.

Thank y'all for thinkin' of David!  

Sounds good Rusty.  As I get older I find myself less inclined to roll the dice with my behavior.  Am I missing out?  Maybe.  Do I feel comfortable in my skin (and my isolation)?  Mostly.  As they say, youth is mostly wasted on the young.

Posted : September 11, 2020 4:22 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

A healthy recovery for Freebird75.  Keep the faith!

68959574 654707645042305 7360209666162294784 o

Posted : September 11, 2020 5:56 pm
Rusty reacted
Slammer
(@slammer)
Eminent Member

Healing prayers and super positive vibes heading to David in his time of need.

I fondly remember our times spent around the campfire at Wanee for several years. Although it has been almost 10 years since I put a huge hug on his neck, we still chat on the phone regularly. It was just a couple of weeks ago we were having those open mouth loud laughs discussing life and other non important things.  David is one of a kind and like I said back in 2007, if you look up "Good Ol' Boy" in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of David smiling.

Get well my friend. Looking forward to our next time together on the phone.

Posted : September 12, 2020 12:17 pm
Rusty and harvey reacted
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin

Thanks for letting us know @Rusty - please let David P. know we are keeping him in our prayers for a full recovery.  

Rowland and Lana

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 12, 2020 12:37 pm
pixielf
(@pixielf)
Honorable Member

I sure hope David beats this thing.  Like Slammer, I too have fond memories of David at Wanee.  Good times with good people!! 

185 8573 IMG original

Thanks for letting us know, Rusty.  I'll be praying for him.  

Posted : September 13, 2020 1:39 pm
Rusty and harvey reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Folks, crank those prayers up if you got any.  I wish I had better news, but David has been placed on life support (ventilator) and his lone kidney appears to be shutting down.

David is one of the old-schoolers around here.  If you've met him you know what a crusty type he can be.  If you've grown to know and accept him, you know that his heart is pure gold.  He's a tough old guy - if anybody can pull through this, it's David.

I'm still holding out hope and prayer for David.  Somebody play, "Blue Sky" right about now.

Posted : September 14, 2020 9:40 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Surely hope that David can beat this damn virus! So sorry for what he's having to go through.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : September 14, 2020 11:23 am
Rusty reacted
Randall
(@randall)
Estimable Member

Positive vibes being sent to David P.  So very sad that this pandemic is taking such a heavy toll.

Thanks for keeping us informed Rusty.

Posted : September 14, 2020 5:27 pm
Slammer
(@slammer)
Eminent Member

Thinking about David this morning.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Rusty

Posted : September 15, 2020 12:22 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Freebird1975 - David Pirkle, lost a very hard-fought battle with the Covid virus earlier this evening.

I will write more about David later.  I first met David at a Jam For Duane event in Alabama - about 10 years or so ago.  About 7 years ago, I moved near to where David lives.  I pm'd and messaged David for 3 years before he ever replied!  We became great friends.  His passing leaves a void in my life.  I will miss him.

Posted : September 15, 2020 9:41 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

No! That's awful, I'm so sorry to hear. Much love to you and David's family.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 15, 2020 9:58 pm
Rusty reacted
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

Sad news indeed, thanks for letting us all know, Rusty ... we have wild orchids along a stretch of coast near to where I live and whenever I walk past I think of David and his passion for them ... now they will always be a permanent reminder of him ...

Posted : September 16, 2020 4:20 am
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

If you ever met David, you certainly remember him.  David had an "outdoor" voice that would echo off of the sky!  He and I shared an affinity for nature and the outdoors.  On one of earliest hiking trips, I was somewhat disturbed to hear his voice echoing ... not a hill or mountain in site!  Just honestly echoing off of the heavens!

Harvey, you are spot-on about David's love and enthusiasm about orchids.  One of the pleasant surprises about David - how this giant (6' 3"  240 lbs) man could have a gentle side that embraced all of nature, but more specifically orchids!  About a year before David and I started hanging together, my wife bought an orchid form the trash bin at the supermarket florist.  This thing looked ... dead!  She nursed it to the best of her ability and it did produce a single flower.  On one of David's first visits to our house, he saw the plant out on our deck.  He asked Donna if she would mind if he "doctored" it a little.  Every time he visited, he'd go straight to that orchid and continue his "doctoring".  This year, that orchid that had been tossed out by the florist produced no fewer than a dozen beautiful blooms!  This was David's handy work!

Slight aside - I visited the area where I now live - where David lived most of his life - back when I was just a kid.  I fell in love with the flora and fauna of the region.  As a kid, I started devising a plan where I might one day actually be able to live here!

That day actually happened!  But as much as I love and enjoyed this place, I found that most of the locals where either jaded or just took what they had for granted.  When David and I started hanging out, I realized that I had met someone who was as interested in these natural gifts as I was.  We spent a lot of time in the woods and on the water together.  David possessed a greater knowledge and understanding of the area than most of the "professionals" that I've met.

It seemed that whenever we were together we always saw something magnificent!  We witnessed entire pods of dolphins swimming by, deer - in herds or individually, birds of every variety - including many eagles, and an Osprey snagging its lunch out of midair!  There were alligators that seemed to recognize David upon sight!  David was as much a part of nature as any of his fellow beasts!

Then of course, there was music!  As with Bill Ector, Dan Hills, Randy Stephens, Bobo (who I never met) - I'll remember and think of David as another "gift from Duane".  David was not in great health for most of the last couple of years.  About 6 months ago, he called me from a Jacksonville hospital where he'd been sent by ambulance a few days before.  He was being discharged and needed a ride home.  I was happy to oblige.  On the drive back, "Mountain Jam" popped up on my play list.  David showed me his arm - covered with chill bumps.  I'm not sure, but there might've been a tear of joy in his eye.  

I could easily ramble on all day ... for a month ... a year ...  

So wont'cha fly, oh Freebird ... let your soul shine, David!  Let that beautiful soul shine on ... until the light of day!

Peace, y'all.

"Rusty"

Posted : September 16, 2020 8:56 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Thanks for the sad but beautiful update Rusty.  And sorry for the loss of your friend.     -Rob

This post was modified 4 years ago by robslob

Posted : September 16, 2020 9:01 am
Rusty reacted
Lana
 Lana
(@lana)
Trusted Member Admin Registered

Thank you for letting us know, Rusty, and also for your beautiful tribute to David. Much love to you and his immediate, and extended, family.

Posted : September 16, 2020 9:22 am
Rusty reacted
AlPaul
(@alpaul)
Noble Member

Terrible news. Thanks for sharing Rusty. Everyone stay safe and keep following the rules. This virus is not going anywhere. Pouring one out for David.

Posted : September 16, 2020 10:16 am
StratDal and Rusty reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Am very sorry to hear of David’s passing Rusty - obviously a big loss & a great guy

Posted : September 16, 2020 10:37 am
Rusty reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

& your wonderful tribute will aid all his family/friends in their healing

Posted : September 16, 2020 10:53 am
Rusty reacted
ssepr
(@ssepr)
Trusted Member

@rusty Sorry to here about your friend. Sounds like a wonderful human being. Cherish those memories 

Posted : September 16, 2020 1:22 pm
Rusty reacted
steadyhorse
(@steadyhorse)
Reputable Member

R.I.P. Freebird75, fly high...

Posted : September 16, 2020 2:02 pm
Rusty reacted
owencarol
(@owencarol)
Estimable Member

I never had the pleasure of meeting David, but I can say this, if Mountain Jam gave him chills, we would have been friends. Reading the forum, I learned he was a fan of orchids. My wife and I as well. Beautiful plants and flowers. He must have been a deeply compassionate man. May his family and friends be blessed by his life, I'm sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace!

This post was modified 4 years ago by owencarol

Posted : September 16, 2020 3:30 pm
Rusty reacted
pixielf
(@pixielf)
Honorable Member

I'm so sad to hear this.  That damn virus!  May he rest in peace.

Thank you again, Rusty, for keeping us informed.  

Posted : September 16, 2020 5:08 pm
Rusty reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: