Clear all

Great Southern reforming?

17 Posts
9 Users
3 Likes
gotfiddle
(@gotfiddle)
Topic starter

Does anyone know anything about this or who might be in the band? Dickey will apparently not be performing with them. 

Posted : May 24, 2023 3:34 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

The August 7th show in Atlanta is the only show I've heard about so far. 

It's being billed as Dickey Betts Presents Great Southern. And the promotion piece states that Dickey no longer performs. 

Lee Roy Parnell is the front man and it says all personel was hand picked by Dickey. 

One can only assume it's the same musicians who backed Dickey. 

If there is more than one show planned, I can find it. 

Posted : May 24, 2023 4:28 pm
ManWithNoName
(@manwithnoname)
Eminent Member

The lineup is listed in the below link. It’s basically the original version of the reformed Dickey Betts Band in the early 2000’s. 

https://citywinery.com/newyork/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=NYC-Dickey-Betts-8-1-23-8pm&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=

Posted : May 24, 2023 10:19 pm
Jack_Frost
(@jack_frost)
Reputable Member

Not sure what to think about this other than to say it isn't Great Southern. I remember Mark May. I'll pass myself, thanks anyway.

Posted : May 25, 2023 5:35 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Lee Roy Parnell & Mark May were never in Great Southern - all the others were in the early years of the band & on the great Collectors Vol I CD from 2003 - Mark is on Let’s All Get Together

- they’re all fantastic players - Lee Roy, Mark & David S could really make for some Tunes Being Played -

I’d call it a Great Southern gig - officially, it’s Dickey Betts Presents Great Southern

in the same type of ‘official’ arrangement ABB management has with the band Trouble No More

The Allman Brothers Present Trouble No More

again, July 30-Aug 1, City Winery, NYC

Posted : May 25, 2023 6:31 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

This is pretty much the version of the Dickey Betts Band that appeared on "Lets Get Together" release minus DB, drummer  Frankie Lombardi and add Parnell. I always thought Mark May was an odd pairing for that band .Did not seem to fit musically some of the time, that's just me.

This post was modified 11 months ago by jszfunk

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : May 25, 2023 7:37 am
Jack_Frost reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk I saw the Dickey Betts Band in fall of 2000 and I think the buzz was Mark May had put his solo career as a Texas blues performer on hold so he could help Dickey. Mark sang four or five songs and Matt Ziener was on bass and was good. 

Mark May's slide and lead solos were okay. Had a touch of Stevie Ray Vaughan in his lead playing. 

I've seen Peavy electric guitars advertised in music magazines but Mark May was the ONLY player I've ever seen play a Peavy. His back up was a Peavy too. 

Dickey seemed sober and played well. Started out on a red Les Paul but broke a string on Blue Sky, about the third song in, switched to his old 1956 Stratocaster and even though the guitar tech fixed the Les Paul, Dickey never went back to it for some reason. The Paul I thought was sounding good. 

Posted : May 25, 2023 3:52 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

This should be a good show. I also saw it in the fall of 2000 with Dickey of course and no Lee Roy. The show I saw was kind of strange as it was just a month after I went to NYC for the One For Woody benefit. And of course it was just about six months after Dickey's departure from The ABB. I agree that Mark May was a strange fit. While certainly a good player I don't think he really fit with that band. When Dickey brought in Dangerous Dan Toler I thought they were head and shoulders better.

At the show I went to, there may have been 200-250 people there. It was in a big concert hall in downtown Detroit. I used to see Mule there to give some scope to the size of the place. I felt bad for Dickey because the crowd was so sparse. Still have a T-shirt from the show. I traded the guy at the souvenir booth two beers from the beer stand for a shirt. 😉 

This post was modified 11 months ago by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : May 27, 2023 5:47 am
Jack_Frost reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Any word about the City Winery gigs (July 30 Trouble No More, Aug 1 Great Southern) 

This post was modified 9 months ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : August 3, 2023 6:30 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

No Great Southern isn't reforming. Just a select gig or two without Dickey. 

There is an Allman Betts Band tour kicking off in November to salute the music of Gregg Allman and Dickey Betts which will include a stop in Macon, Georgia. 

Tal Wilkenfeld who was in Jeff Beck's band for a few years is the bass player for the Allman Betts Band for the late fall tour. 

Posted : August 8, 2023 6:15 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Dickey’s website lists a string of dates they would be playing currently, all at City Winery venues, incl last night in hot lanta, under the name Dickey Betts Presents Great Southern 

you could be right robertdee, it could be outdated info & they didn’t do those gigs after all

This post was modified 9 months ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : August 8, 2023 6:45 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

cool info about the Allman-Betts Fall Family Revival shows - they played just recently in Lewiston NY - all quiet on the posts-about-shows front 

This post was modified 9 months ago by Stephen

Posted : August 8, 2023 7:56 pm
MartinD28
(@martind28)
Famed Member

I looked but couldn't find any videos. Has anyone seen any vids? Also, has anyone been to one of these August shows?

Posted : August 9, 2023 8:35 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

The 2 shows listed here, Aug 15 St.L, Aug 16 Chicago

….are not listed at the venue’s website 

not having seen peep here, there or anywhere about any of the dates for Aug 1-16

would lead me to agree w/robertdee

that Great Southern isn’t reforming, just doing a select gig or 2 w/out Dickey

Posted : August 12, 2023 9:25 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Last edit, looks like Dickey Betts Presents Lee Roy Parnell & Great Southern did play those shows after all - some info, brief clip of Jessica on Lee Roy’s site - looks like St.L & Chicago are still off 

Posted : August 14, 2023 7:36 am
fender31
(@fender31)
Noble Member

Posted : August 24, 2023 8:13 am
Stephen reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Thx - good setlist, liked the flute on 7 Turns - gotta listen to EReed again, lot there🎶🤙🎵

Posted : August 25, 2023 3:10 am
Share: