"Goodbye Pork Pie Hat", Derek Trucks, Jeff Beck Tribute Show

7 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

There are not many guitar players who could nail the complexity, nuance and tone of this tune but Derek Trucks is certainly one of them.  Derek never quite ceases to amaze me............

Posted : May 25, 2023 7:28 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I too was very impressed with the fine performance of this very difficult piece on the electric guitar. As robslob pointed out, it's very complex with tricky nuances and tone. 

I know some here have said they aren't familiar with much of Jeff's material so here is Beck with this very difficult song for the guitar. Well the way Jeff plays it is extremely difficult. Derek absorbed what Jeff was doing and of course did it his way but it's all there. Hats of to Derek Trucks!! 

This post was modified 11 months ago by robertdee

Posted : May 25, 2023 10:21 pm
robslob reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@robertdee:  Now that Beck is gone, Derek appears to be The Second Coming

Posted : May 26, 2023 10:59 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

those are both phenomenal. Thanks for posting. 

I actually think Derek captures more of the feeling of the original Mingus version

Posted : May 26, 2023 4:18 pm
robslob reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@stormyrider:  Thanks I never knew who did that tune originally

Posted : May 26, 2023 5:31 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@stormyrider Me too. Actually I thought it was Jeff who put it out first. 

Maybe Derek didn't absorb what Jeff did on that song after all. Maybe he went in deep listening to Mingus. 

I was surprised reading in two interviews Jeff Beck was Warren Haynes' favorite guitar player. Warren sounds nothing like Jeff and other players Warren likes. 

Derek always lists Duane Allman as his biggest influence going back to when he was a kid. Elmore James second. 

There is a live show someone recorded I chuckle when I hear it. Duane Allman says " Here's an old Elmore James song we do. Elmore was a pretty good slide player. He didn't get to hear me though" Smile

Posted : May 26, 2023 5:57 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

^^^

I think that was the Syria Mosque show, Jan 1971

Here is the original Goodbye Porkpie Hat.

Mingus Ah Um is an essential album, I recommend everyone have it in their collection (physical or virtual)

This post was modified 11 months ago by stormyrider

Posted : May 27, 2023 9:25 am
robslob reacted
Share: