Notifications
Clear all

Freddie King  

RSS
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Listening to some Freddie King's Taking Care of Business as it popped up on my itunes. Pretty cool that there are seven discs in the box set. Kind of a funny story. I ordered it seven or eight years ago and thought it would just show up. I received a notification that it was at some USPS distribution place in the city. I live in Chicago. Went to the first place, wan't there. They directed me to another place. Long story short but I finally spent a good part of a day tracking the darn thing down.

Hideaway came on. I loved it when the ABB did that song. Dickey did the song so much justice. 

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

Posted : November 21, 2020 8:12 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

The Three Kings:  Freddie, Albert and BB.  Marcus is #4.  😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2020 10:34 am
harvey liked
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

& Earl King - “people talkin but they just don’t know....”

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2020 10:58 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Master

I still have my vinyl copy of Texas Cannonball by Freddie King.  Use to play it often. Very good album. 

In 1986 I was standing on the edge of the dance floor right in front of Dickey at a little club in Winston Salem,  North Carolina. Dickey and Gregg were on tour together doing clubs and theaters and the owner of this club billed this show as The Allman Brothers  Band on radio, newspaper and on his big marquee outfront. It was so strange to pull in to the parking lot of a small club behind a Chinese restaurant where mostly unkowned bands or bands like Grinderswitch or Barefoot Jerry played and see "TONIGHT ON STAGE THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND ".  Gregg came in just after the busses arrived and got fussy with the owner. I wasn't close enough to hear exactly what was said but Gregg was not happy. 

The Dickey Betts Band opened on this tour then Gregg's band which had the Toler Brothers and there was a third set with the twi bands merged and they did 7 or 8 songs on ABB albums. 

I was close enough to reach out and touch Dickey as the small stage wasn't that high. Dickey said " We aren't responsible if anyone feels ripped off tonight.  We did not give this place permission to call this The Allman Brothers.  Butch Trucks and Jaimoe aren't on this tour so we don't call it the Allman Brothers. Here is a Freddie King song. Hope you enjoy it". And Dickey counted off and he played Hideaway and did a great job. He played two or three songs I had not heard before and several off the two Great Southern albums. Gregg played a few news ones plus stuff on Laid Back,  The Gregg Allman Tour and Playing Up A Storm. It was the third set when the two bands merged we got Statesboro Blues,  Blue Sky, Dreams, Ain't Waisting Time, Jessica, Liz Reed, Ramblin Man and Whipping Post. Dickey's bass player and Gregg's swapped around depending on the song. I believe Matt Apps was Dickey's drummer and David Toler was Gregg's and they both played the third set with Dickey and Danny Toler on twin lead.

I had always wondered which band members are singing " People can you feel it, love is everywhere " on Revival on Idlewild South so I asked Dickey. He said ( I still remember his exact words) " Man I know it doesn't sound like it but that is everybody in the band". I said "You mean even Butch Trucks and Jaimoe?". Dickey "Yeah everybody in the band. I remember the six of us in the studio in Miami and we are all singing different parts or notes and clapping our hands and laughing.  We had to stop a few times because someone would get too tickled". 

Dickey also said when I complimented him on Hideaway that he and Duane and Gregg were big fans of Freddie King... and B. B. and Albert King too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2020 12:42 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Peach Extraordianire

Saw Freddie and also Willie Dixon in concert February of '73. 

Venue could hold in the 8-10,000 range. There was maybe 250 people there. Didn't matter to either FK or WD. They both put on a superb set. I have the concert poster framed and hanging in my music room. 

Only time I got to see Freddie in concert. 

"Y'all know the Fire Marshal...the cat that can't get the job as a policeman." Duane Allman

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2020 3:43 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Was too young to have ever seen Freddie. Saw B.B. a bunch of times and consider myself fortunate enough to have seen Albert once out of the three kings. 😀 

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2020 4:09 pm
redhouse1969
(@redhouse1969)
Extreme Peach
Posted by: @rusty

Seriously? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2020 9:59 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @redhouse1969
Posted by: @rusty

Seriously? 

In no particular order!  😉  Put Ed King in there too, if you want! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2020 10:10 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

No mention of Kings is complete w/out King Curtis....making for 6 members of music royalty 👑🙏🥴

....Ben E King?🤔

it begins & ends w/the 3 Kings, Albert BB Freddie - what tone, what chops, untopped electric blues

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2020 1:20 pm
Rusty liked
aiq
 aiq
(@aiq)
Extreme Peach

Heard Freddie at Tampa Stadium in ‘72, Chuck Berry was the headliner.  Freddie stole the show.

On another occasion went up to Atlanta from FL for a blues night, Howlin Wolf at Richards and Freddie at Alex Cooley’s Electric Ballroom.  We hit Wolf at the early show, even at his age he was magnificent.  Scheduled to hit Freddie for the late show at Alex Cooley’s but my companion got seriously nauseated  so we had to cancel.  She had the flu turns out.

Freddie King had one of the best tones, thick and clear. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2020 3:06 pm
Share: