The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Happy Birthday to Brother Duane  

RSS
steved
(@steved)
Extreme Peach

Hard to think that Duane would have been 74 today! Somewhere I read that Galadrielle is working on a project to celebrate Duane at 75 next year. Excited to find out what that might be.

Will be enjoying some hot slide guitar today for sure!

Posted : November 20, 2020 9:29 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Master

First time I heard Duane play the intro on Statesboro Blues it was so profound to me. I wasn't expecting to feel such energy and joy. I was hooked and stayed hooked. I was 23 that night in 1970. Still very moved by Duane on Fillmore East. I'll be 74 next month. 

Duane left us at age 24. As good as he was do you think he would have been even better at age 30?

No doubt Standback, Blue Sky and Little Martha would be exactly as they are on Eat A Peach had Duane lived. But everything else would be different including the rest of Eat A Peach and even the title of the album. Brothers and Sisters probably would have Ramblin' Man and Jessica but also Queen of Hearts and the rest of the album and future ABB albums would be anyone's guess. Would the originial six have retired the band in 2014 or would they have some different players or broke up years before 2014 if Duane had lived? 

Interesting to think about but we will never know. 

Happy birthday Howard Duane Allman!!

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2020 10:16 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Peach Extraordianire

Happy B-Day

Have AFE on in your honor

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2020 12:40 pm
steved
(@steved)
Extreme Peach

Can't ever go wrong with AFE for sure. I put on the first album today. DWNM gets me ever time. I always think of Mike Callahan in the The Big House documentary getting choked up thinking about the power that was the Allman Brothers Band. Hell yeah!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2020 3:28 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Kim Payne too - how blown away he was by the power of DWYNM - “da da da-da da” then fist into hand & “POW!” Gotta sign up for his book😎🤙

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2020 7:02 pm
gina
 gina
(@gina)
World Class Peach

All I can think of is Clapton's song, "Tears in Heaven".

For all of us still here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2020 7:57 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Peach Extraordianire

Spun Anthology II today.  Rock In Peace Duane!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2020 8:22 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Master

Stratdal. Found my old vinyl copy of anthology 2. I wrote August 1974 on it which is when it was released I think.

Several tracks from Duane's aborted 3 man band that Pbil Walden was expecting plus Dimples live by the ABB, so a lot of Duane singing on volume 2.

Volume one was released in 1972 and sold enough copies to go Gold. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2020 7:43 am
Share: