The Allman Brothers Band
Dickey Betts - The ...

Notifications
Clear all

Dickey Betts - The Official Bootleg (2006)

22 Posts
11 Users
8 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dickey release several live albums (The Odeon, The Egg, Live at Antone's, RnR HOF, Rockplast 2008) from 2005-2010, this is perhaps the best.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 22, 2021 2:50 pm
RCgp2020 and Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Yes it's pretty good. I bought it at a Great Southern show in 2007. Never noticed it in record stores. 

Posted : January 22, 2021 3:11 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robertdee There were a few that were only available from Dickey's merch - either order from his site or at shows.

I was excited for The Odeon Instant Live, but I wasn't a huge fan of Dan Toler's strat/whammy tone. Just didn't seem to fit the material. I did dig the electric jammy "Little Martha", bummer that didn't stick around.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 22, 2021 3:48 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Yes I too thought Dan Toler's tone was a bit thin and I think that Strat guitar he played during the last years of his life had lace sensor pickups and I saw Jimmy Herring playing a green one with Panic and it really cut through. I ask Dan about the Les Paul Dickey gave him that Dickey used on Fillmore East at a show in Charlotte and he said he still had it but this red Stratocaster he has now has a fast neck, stays in tune, is easier on his back and with the whammy bar he doesn't sound like Dickey which Dickey likes.  So I didn't say his Les Paul had a better tone. Didn't want to insult him. 

In the first part of the above Dickey is playing an Ibanez Artists series electric. I saw it on stage a few times in 1980 and 81 but only saw Dickey play it in 1984 or so when he did some shows with Hank Williams,  Jr. 

The 1956 Stratocaster hardtail Dickey plays slide on in the second clip and the Goldtop Dickey plays on Southbound have been Duane Betts' frontline guitars for several years now. Duane removed the pick guard on the LP and had the finished aged. Also Duane has Dickey's 1961 ES-335 with him now. It has a fantastic tone. I saw Allman Betts twice last year and saw Duane use all three of those guitars at both shows. In the February precovid show in Blacksburg I got real close to Duane's/Dickey's guitars and the 56 Strat has a large amount of road wear. It looks very rough up close. 

The red Les Paul Duane plays on the Southbound part is a Dickey Betts Signature guitar that was based on what Dickey did to his 1957 Goldie Les Paul after it sat in the Hall of Fame in Cleveland and turned green. But I was told Dickey never cared for how it sounded and used it very little and it was mostly a backup to his Signature Gold Top which has a great tone and stays in tune

According to Dickey and Jack Pearson,  play an electric guitar you don't know and are looking at without an amp and if it vibrates and stays in tune the entire time it's a good one. Just because it says  Les Paul or SG or Stratocaster doesn't mean it's going to be a hot guitar. They are all different.

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : January 22, 2021 7:35 pm
nebish and PorkchopBob reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for sharing.  Some how I missed this one.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : January 23, 2021 8:31 am
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Thanks for posting. I've been looking to add this to my collection for ever, but can never find it. Like everyone else I have several shows from Dicky and the many bands he has played with, but this is far his best work IMO. If someone knows how to get ahold of this show please let me know.....

Posted : January 23, 2021 11:25 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @rcgp2020

Thanks for posting. I've been looking to add this to my collection for ever, but can never find it. Like everyone else I have several shows from Dicky and the many bands he has played with, but this is far his best work IMO. If someone knows how to get ahold of this show please let me know.....

It looks like amazon has it. They list it has 1 disc. Seeing its a live show I thought it would be two?

Track listing anyone?

https://www.amazon.com/Offical-Bootleg-BETTS-DICKEY/dp/B000SQKZSS/?tag=allmbrotband-20

Posted : January 23, 2021 12:17 pm
matt05 reacted
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

Posted by: @jszfunk
Posted by: @rcgp2020

It looks like amazon has it. They list it has 1 disc. Seeing its a live show I thought it would be two?

Track listing anyone?

https://www.amazon.com/Offical-Bootleg-BETTS-DICKEY/dp/B000SQKZSS/?tag=allmbrotband-20

mine is 2 cds. its from various dates of that tour but most are from the same show

1 high falls 7/1/06

2 blue sky 7/11/06

3 good time feeling 7/8/06

4 seven turns 7/8/06

5 IMOER 7/8/06

1 where it all begins 7/11/06

2 southbound 7/11/06

3 no one to run with 7/11/06

4 jessica 7/11/06

5 ramblin man 7/11/06

Posted : January 23, 2021 12:58 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@jszfunk

CD 1:

1. High Falls
2. Blue Sky
3. Good Time Feeling
4. Seven Turns
5. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed

CD 2:

1. Where It All Begins
2. Southbound
3. No One To Run With
4. Jessica
5. Ramblin' Man

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 23, 2021 1:00 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

@porkchopbob thanks!

Posted : January 23, 2021 1:03 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob Did some digging and apparently Dan Toler suddenly quit Dickey and Great Southern because Dickey refused to work up any of Dan's new songs. Dickey called Andy Aledort for help and fired him 2 or 3 times only to quickly change his mind. I had a chance to chat with Andy at a Great Southern show in 2009 and he said Dickey never enjoyed playing electric slide so he was there for that and that was a negative for Dan Toler who didn't play slide at all plus when Toler was in the ABB his style was similar to Dickey's which eliminated the ying and yang Dickey and Duane Allman had. 

Andy also said he has carefully studied Jimi. Hendrix's style of lead and rhythm playing and has videos breaking down the little intricacies of how Hendrix did it. I only saw Hendrix once and remember Hendrix running his arm with shirt sleeve too up and down the neck and raking the neck back and forth across the mic stand at full volume. Very unorthodox but nothing mysterious about those licks. 

Also I remember Dan Toler being very irritated in one of the trade magazines about Gregg Allman leaving their band to rejoin the Allman Brothers in 1989 just as all the hard work and playing dives was paying off. In 1989 Dickey wanted Warren Haynes instead of Dan Toler because he was an excellent side player and his lead style didn't sound like Dickey's at all. I'm not sure what Dan Toler did during the 1990's. I'm sure he was in some bands. Also today I rememberd Dan Toler sold the Les Paul Dickey used on Fillmore East and gave Toler in 1979 to a collector in Japan toward the end of Dan Toler's life. I guess he needed the money but it bothered me a little to see Dan sell such a famous guitar that also was a gift. 

Also not sure why that red Strat didn't cut through similar to a Les Paul because it did have lace sensor pickups. Amp? The way Toler used his tone and volume knobs? I saw Jimmy Herring play one with lace sensor pickups with WP and it was loud. January 22nd was Jimmy Herring's 59th birthday. A fine guitar player and they say a great guy. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : January 23, 2021 6:35 pm
nebish reacted
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Got it. Thanks to all for your help. Blessings around!

Posted : January 24, 2021 11:21 am
Shorty
(@shorty)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@porkchopbob Did some digging and apparently Dan Toler suddenly quit Dickey and Great Southern because Dickey refused to work up any of Dan's new songs. Dickey called Andy Aledort for help and fired him 2 or 3 times only to quickly change his mind. I had a chance to chat with Andy at a Great Southern show in 2009 and he said Dickey never enjoyed playing electric slide so he was there for that and that was a negative for Dan Toler who didn't play slide at all plus when Toler was in the ABB his style was similar to Dickey's which eliminated the ying and yang Dickey and Duane Allman had. 

Andy also said he has carefully studied Jimi. Hendrix's style of lead and rhythm playing and has videos breaking down the little intricacies of how Hendrix did it. I only saw Hendrix once and remember Hendrix running his arm with shirt sleeve too up and down the neck and raking the neck back and forth across the mic stand at full volume. Very unorthodox but nothing mysterious about those licks. 

Also I remember Dan Toler being very irritated in one of the trade magazines about Gregg Allman leaving their band to rejoin the Allman Brothers in 1989 just as all the hard work and playing dives was paying off. In 1989 Dickey wanted Warren Haynes instead of Dan Toler because he was an excellent side player and his lead style didn't sound like Dickey's at all. I'm not sure what Dan Toler did during the 1990's. I'm sure he was in some bands. Also today I rememberd Dan Toler sold the Les Paul Dickey used on Fillmore East and gave Toler in 1979 to a collector in Japan toward the end of Dan Toler's life. I guess he needed the money but it bothered me a little to see Dan sell such a famous guitar that also was a gift. 

Also not sure why that red Strat didn't cut through similar to a Les Paul because it did have lace sensor pickups. Amp? The way Toler used his tone and volume knobs? I saw Jimmy Herring play one with lace sensor pickups with WP and it was loud. January 22nd was Jimmy Herring's 59th birthday. A fine guitar player and they say a great guy. 

Actually, Andy had been fired four times.... There is a long interview with Andy on Youtube ("12 Years of Wild Stories on the road w Dickey Betts")

). At around 1:25 Andy starts talking about Dickey. I had a long chat with Andy in Hamburg in 2008 where DBGS had to play with guitars from a music shop because their own guitars arrived late from their gig in Italy... This happened a couple of days before the Rockpalast show in Bonn which has been mentioned in this thread (my first and only TV appearance....  Laugh )

Posted : January 25, 2021 12:18 pm
Slyckyr and nebish reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@shorty Thanks for the link. Last time I saw Great Southern, Andy only soloed on slide. Duane Betts took the other solos and soloed more than Dickey did. Dickey was playing a Gibson Custom Shop Brother to Brother SG which is a replica of the SG he gave to Duane Allman. Well Dickey played a Stratocaster on Nobody Left To Run With which gave Dickey more of a Bo Diddley scratchy sound. Great Southern was just so so that night. Saw them the year before when they were better. 

Posted : January 25, 2021 1:06 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

That video is cool. Some funny stuff. I'll have to finish it tonight. 

Posted : January 29, 2021 4:22 pm
bird72
(@bird72)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@shorty Thanks for the link. Last time I saw Great Southern, Andy only soloed on slide. Duane Betts took the other solos and soloed more than Dickey did. Dickey was playing a Gibson Custom Shop Brother to Brother SG which is a replica of the SG he gave to Duane Allman. Well Dickey played a Stratocaster on Nobody Left To Run With which gave Dickey more of a Bo Diddley scratchy sound. Great Southern was just so so that night. Saw them the year before when they were better. 

Bo Diddley didn't have a Strat scratchy sound, as you put it.  He played fattish square guitar(s), many of which had humbucker looking PU's.  It was a fat chunky sound.  kind of like the Bo Diddley Sound.  He moved to northern New Mexico later in life, and played some small clubs up in the hills.  Sometime I share the legend of The Golden Inn in the early 70's.

Posted : January 29, 2021 7:21 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I didn't mean to indicate Bo played a Stratocaster. I saw him once and a couple times on TV and he played a guitar where the body was cigar box shaped. Can't remember the neck. Don't know who built them. What I was referring to was Dickey often played a Fender Strat on No One Left To Run With Anymore apparently because it may Dickey sound more like Bo Didley that he would using a Gibson Les Paul or SG. Dickey said in an interview he was going for a Bo Didley sound with that song and another guy helped with the words. Then in late 1994 I read Bo was going to sue the Allman Brothers over that song but I never heard if it was dropped or went to court.

Posted : January 29, 2021 8:45 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Bo Didley played Gretch guitars!  

Posted : January 29, 2021 9:28 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure how I would describe it as scratchy, but N1TRW does have that Bo Didley sound to it.

Came back to listen to the rest of the Aledort interview!

Posted : January 30, 2021 12:40 am
fender31
(@fender31)
Noble Member

It's too bad Dickey didn't record more studio albums in the 2000's with Andy.

Posted : January 30, 2021 10:08 am
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Thanks for sharing this inside with Andy. I've always enjoyed listening to him play and read his work in Guitar Player Magazine. Andy knows so much about music theory it's amazing. Dickey and his band came through my area several years ago when Andy was still his guitar player, What an experience for sure that I will not soon forget..

Posted : January 30, 2021 12:06 pm
Slyckyr
(@slyckyr)
Reputable Member

I've grown to appreciate the Back Where It All Begins & Rockpalast DVDs for what they are & am glad to have them.

Posted : January 30, 2021 10:47 pm
Share: