(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : October 11, 2021 1:59 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

It is amazing how old and craggy David Lee Roth and Phil Collins look now. It's sad. I'll be 75 in December and going down soon and get my electric wheelchair so I can do my part for climate change. 

Wonder what Duane Allman and Jimi Hendrix and Elvis Presley would look like now. 

On the plus side Tony Bennett is now the oldest artist to release a new album. Bennett is 95 and his new album with Lady Ga Ga just came out. 

David Lee Roth looks and acts like an idiot compared to Tony Bennett. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : October 11, 2021 9:17 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robertdee  DLR is in real good shape. The hard living years would take a toll on anyone, but the guy just turned 67  just a few days ago. I could only hope I would look as good when I turn that age.!!! There is no comparison to him and Phil Collins.

Posted : October 12, 2021 7:43 am
Zambi
(@zambi)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @jszfunk

@robertdee  DLR is in real good shape. The hard living years would take a toll on anyone, but the guy just turned 67  just a few days ago. I could only hope I would look as good when I turn that age.!!! There is no comparison to him and Phil Collins.

I agree with this.  While DLR gets slagged a lot, it's mostly because he never figured out how to grow old gracefully like many of his contemporaries have as well as many of the classic rockers from a decade before VH.  The dyed platinum blonde hair comb-over he had going for 15 years, and metallic, sequenzed lamé outfits ("can't spell <<lamé>> without L-A-M-E", Sammy Hagar 2002).  DLR was still living in the mid 1980s as late as the mid-2000s.  Combine that with his voice being shot and DLR not figuring out how to sing within his new vocal range, he got slagged a good bit both in the media as well as by fans (especially Hagar-supporting VH fans).  That all being said, I could only hope to be in as good of shape in my 50s as DLR is in his late 60s.

Listening to DLR's interview sounds a bit ominous.  Hope his health isn't on the decline.  He speaks in ambiguities sometimes, so it's tough to know if he is reminiscing that he always thought he'd be the first of the VH guys to check-out, or if he is saying he has some serious health issues.  Almost seems the latter, especially the comment as if he is speaking to EVH with the "object in mirror is closer than it appears"....sounds like DLR is saying he will be there sooner than later, or sooner than might be expected by others.  I don't know.

Sounds like he is only doing the Vegas gigs in January due to contractual obligations from 2020 before COVID cancelled his last batch of dates in Vegas....

Posted : October 12, 2021 9:54 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk Phil Collins is 70. Apparently can't play the drums now and has to sit while he sings. That is fine. His voice is still good. 

Why is DLR retiring? Press reports cited age and health. But apparently he is still in good shape. People here on this site have remarked DLR can't sing now so maybe that is it. 

But he had a good run. I saw one of his solo shows after he left Van Halen and had Steve V on guitar. California Girls was a hit and it was a high energy show. I guess as good as Van Halen. Steve was as good a shredder and high octane ax man as Eddie it seemed but that band didn't last long. 

Posted : October 12, 2021 9:57 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Let me preface whatever I end up typing with the fact that I've never spent the first cent on anything David Lee Roth or Van Halen related.  I certainly have all the respect and admiration for Eddie for being an innovator at the same level as Jimi Hendrix and other players who really revolutionized the state of guitar playing at their times. 

Having nothing short of unconditional indifference towards Van Halen and Dave - I always enjoyed his presence in that band.  IMO they were certainly a better all around and balanced band with singers like Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone, but I always felt that Dave was a great cog in the machinery for what they were doing early on.  His antics, gymnastics (whatever) just added the correct seasoning.  In the early days, they just looked like they were having a real good time on stage.  They were a great attraction on MTV when they played music videos.

I've defended Dave on these pages a time or two.  Having never met him, I think his actions beyond his public persona point to someone who seems like a genuinely interested (interested - I said that right) guy.  Beyond his flamboyant rock and roll side, he did stuff like working as an EMT purely for the experience.  He did not need the money.  EMT is not a cushy gig by any means.  He's created some graphic art and studied foreign languages.  

Some folks like to end their careers on a high note (or as high a note as their talents will allow).  Others - who genuinely and honestly LOVE playing - continue on way past their shelf life.  I ain't gonna name names.

Kudos to Diamond Dave for going out on his own accord.

Posted : October 12, 2021 10:17 am
Randall and jszfunk reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty Sammy Hagar was in the press lately complaining about Van Halen. He is irritated that Van Halen has tried to edit his time with the band out of their history. They haven't remastered the Hagar era albums, never played any of the songs from that period or let those songs be used in movies or commercials. And according to Sammy that was Van Halen's most successful period. The albums from that period sold better (50 million copies combined) and got the best reviews. But Sammy says they pretend the DLR days were the beginning to now with no other lineup. 

Of course with Eddie gone now it's all a mute point. 

Posted : October 12, 2021 10:36 am
Rusty reacted
Zambi
(@zambi)
Reputable Member

Hagar was dead to the VH brothers for years ever since his autobiography was released.  Notwithstanding making amends with EVH after his illness turned terminal, apparently AVH does not have a favorable view of Hagar.  So any complaining by Hagar is from his own doing.  Hagar is also not real good with math.  I thought the VH band sold a total of 80 million records, and the DLR era has two diamond albums.  I'd hazard a wag that the Hagar era probably has 20-25 million records sold while the DLR era has more like 50-55 million.  DLR era had more years to sell, and also has better stood the test of time as "classic rock" while I think some of the Hagar stuff is thought of in the same light as the late 80s spandex era that brought us grunge to kill of hair metal.

What the Hagar era has that the DLR era lacks is all of the Hagar albums went #1, and the DLR era was  never able to do that.  But that is largely because the way charts were counted changed in 1985.  I don't remember the details, but I think it had to do with advance sales being weighted more heavily after 1985, which was a huge deal back before online interwebs sales.  DLR just had bad luck with 1984 stalling at #2 behind MJ's Thriller (with EVH's help on Beat It) and then when DLR rejoined the band they had Adele at the top of the charts when ADKOT was released in 2012 so it also stalled out at #2.  But dems were the cards dealt....

This post was modified 3 years ago by Zambi

Posted : October 12, 2021 11:32 am
Rusty reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @rusty

Let me preface whatever I end up typing with the fact that I've never spent the first cent on anything David Lee Roth or Van Halen related.  I certainly have all the respect and admiration for Eddie for being an innovator at the same level as Jimi Hendrix and other players who really revolutionized the state of guitar playing at their times. 

Having nothing short of unconditional indifference towards Van Halen and Dave - I always enjoyed his presence in that band.  IMO they were certainly a better all around and balanced band with singers like Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone, but I always felt that Dave was a great cog in the machinery for what they were doing early on.  His antics, gymnastics (whatever) just added the correct seasoning.  In the early days, they just looked like they were having a real good time on stage.  They were a great attraction on MTV when they played music videos.

I've defended Dave on these pages a time or two.  Having never met him, I think his actions beyond his public persona point to someone who seems like a genuinely interested (interested - I said that right) guy.  Beyond his flamboyant rock and roll side, he did stuff like working as an EMT purely for the experience.  He did not need the money.  EMT is not a cushy gig by any means.  He's created some graphic art and studied foreign languages.  

Some folks like to end their careers on a high note (or as high a note as their talents will allow).  Others - who genuinely and honestly LOVE playing - continue on way past their shelf life.  I ain't gonna name names.

Kudos to Diamond Dave for going out on his own accord.

Good post rusty. Will always be a life long VH fan.  Good summation of Dave, well put. 

Posted : October 12, 2021 1:48 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @zambi

Listening to DLR's interview sounds a bit ominous.  Hope his health isn't on the decline.  He speaks in ambiguities sometimes, so it's tough to know if he is reminiscing that he always thought he'd be the first of the VH guys to check-out, or if he is saying he has some serious health issues.  Almost seems the latter, especially the comment as if he is speaking to EVH with the "object in mirror is closer than it appears"....sounds like DLR is saying he will be there sooner than later, or sooner than might be expected by others.  I don't know.

Thats what I was thinking also about Dave. Maybe something with his health.  He was on Joe Rogan earlier in the summer and eluded to a few things.

Posted : October 12, 2021 2:39 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@zambi Actually there are several examples of albums over the course of a year out selling an album that went to number one. That use to be the best selling album for one week. 

When I'm in the mood for some Van Halen, I always go to the early days with DLR. Ice Cream Man probably it was I play the most. I like the acoustic beginning then it goes right in to Space Shuttle blast off rock and roll. 

Posted : October 12, 2021 4:44 pm
Chain
(@chain)
Noble Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@zambi Actually there are several examples of albums over the course of a year out selling an album that went to number one. That use to be the best selling album for one week. 

When I'm in the mood for some Van Halen, I always go to the early days with DLR. Ice Cream Man probably it was I play the most. I like the acoustic beginning then it goes right in to Space Shuttle blast off rock and roll. 

For a similar vibe as “Ice Cream Man,” check out “Stay Frosty” from Van Halen’s 2012 release “A Different Kind of Truth.” 

An acoustic beginning that takes off like a rocket.....Supposedly Wolfgang Van Halen played a very big role in writing and arranging this song.....This entire album is very much in the vein of early Van Halen by the way...

Posted : October 13, 2021 11:51 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@chain Thanks. I will check that out. I only purchased one album from Van Halen after DLR left. At the time it felt like Mick Jagger leaving the Rolling Stones but I guess it wasn't that kind of a thing. You know it ruins some bands like what happened to the Doors when Morrison died. 

Some look at it as healthy evolution but often to me it changes a band just too much when a key person leaves. I favor the Blackmore days of Deep Purple and Little Feat without Lowell George is another example of a special spark missing from the show.

Duane Allman was a huge blow. But like Morrison he died. And the ABB has their biggest album and tours post Duane. Unless you saw the original band several times it may not register but to me there was a spark and mojo if you will, that left the Allman Brothers live shows that never returned. 

All six of the original band, when they were REALLY smoking was something man. As good as Dickey and Chuck, Dickey and Toler, Dickey and Warren etc and Warren and Derek were, it wasn't as kick a** as Duane, Dickey and Berry on their hot nights. 

Eddie and Alex were still as good as ever but some kind of crazy spark exited Van Halen when DLR left. Maybe I don't know how to accept change when I really like something the way it is. 

Posted : October 13, 2021 12:07 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @chain

“A Different Kind of Truth.” .....This entire album is very much in the vein of early Van Halen by the way...

I really enjoy ADKOT, that release stands well with the first classic 6, IMHO.

Posted : October 14, 2021 7:44 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk Thank you. I'll check it out. DLR's solo album with California Girls ( Beach Boys cover) was a hot rock and roll album I bought. That was my first exposure to Steve Vai. Suddenly I realized Eddie want the only electric guitarist who could shred like that. Then later I saw Gary Moore before his blues period and there was another high octane shredder. 

The lesson for is; don't ever think you are the best and nobody can do what you do. It's a big world with lots of talented people. 

Jimi Hendrix didn't seem to meet his equal but he left the scene just a few years later.  

Here is Gary's band. Didn't have a front man as good as DLR but the electric guitar is absolutely as HOT as anything Eddie Van Halen or Steve Vai did. Gary Moore was their equal!! You agree? 

Posted : October 14, 2021 9:41 am
Zambi
(@zambi)
Reputable Member

@jszfunk Thank you. I'll check it out. DLR's solo album with California Girls ( Beach Boys cover) was a hot rock and roll album I bought. That was my first exposure to Steve Vai. Suddenly I realized Eddie want the only electric guitarist who could shred like that. Then later I saw Gary Moore before his blues period and there was another high octane shredder. 

That EP didn't have Steve Vai.  Crazy from the Heat was studio musicians and a few special guests.  Guitars were mostly Sid McGinnis from David Letterman's band, and Willie Weeks on bass and JR Robinson on drums (Quincy Jones go-to session drummer).  The "California Girls" track had Carl Wilson from the Beach Boys and also Christopher Cross on backing vox.  Edgar Winter played on the Edgar Winter Group cover tune on that album too ("Easy Street").

Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan joined DLR's solo band after DLR left Van Halen and did the Eat 'Em & Smile and Skyscraper records.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Zambi

Posted : October 14, 2021 10:44 am
Zambi
(@zambi)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @chain

“A Different Kind of Truth.” .....This entire album is very much in the vein of early Van Halen by the way...

I really enjoy ADKOT, that release stands well with the first classic 6, IMHO.

It should be, as 80% or more was written before VH1 was released.  I also really enjoy ADKOT, but the final production was brickwalled.  If the VH camp ever gets around to re-mastering the post-1984 catalog, I hope they include ADKOT and can add some dynamics to that record.

Stay Frosty!

Posted : October 14, 2021 10:48 am
Zambi
(@zambi)
Reputable Member

Here ya go, Dee!  From 2015:

Posted : October 14, 2021 11:00 am
Chain
(@chain)
Noble Member

@jszfunk 

Me too....Great comeback album for EVH as he was in a pretty sad state from 2004 to about 2011 or so...He returned to fine form on this album.  Al was brilliant too and Wolfgang showed the world his old man wasn’t full of sh@t when he proclaimed the kid was a great player.

Posted : October 14, 2021 11:49 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@zambi I bought the first DLR solo album and saw a show on the tour and the hot guitar shredder DLR introduced as Steve Vai. I must have another DLR album too on cassette because there is a hot shredder and whammy bar player on it that is Steve Vai. 

Anyway thanks for the info. My turntable is out of order so don't play my vinyl records but my car cassette still works. I need to pop some in as I've only played CD's for several years in the car. 

Posted : October 14, 2021 1:42 pm
Zambi
(@zambi)
Reputable Member

@zambi I bought the first DLR solo album and saw a show on the tour and the hot guitar shredder DLR introduced as Steve Vai. I must have another DLR album too on cassette because there is a hot shredder and whammy bar player on it that is Steve Vai. 

We are talking about two different albums, Dee.  Crazy from the Heat was the EP that DLR released in 1985 while he was still in VH which featured "California Girls" and "Just a Gigolo" singles and MTV videos.  Crazy from the Heat was recorded with session musicians and special guests, and DLR did not tour behind it.

During the Crazy from the Heat cycle (singles, videos, etc.), DLR quit VH or was fired or whatever.  That is when DLR put together his first solo band with Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan and Gregg Bissonette on drums and they recorded Eat 'Em and Smile and released it in 1986 and toured behind it in 1986-87.  Eat 'Em & Smile had the cover tunes "Tobacco Road" and "That's Life" and also featured the "Yankee Rose" and "Goin' Crazy" singles and videos.

Posted : October 15, 2021 11:29 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@zambi Yes I found my DLR album on cassette and played it in the car this morning. It has Tobacco Road and That's Life on it and Steve Vai on guitar proving he is absolutely as good as Eddie Van Halen at shredding and wild whammy bar. California Girls apparently I was seeing on MTV with all the sexy girls in bikinis. It's not on my DLR album. 

I saw a YouTube video and Yngwie Malmsteen claims he is the premier electric guitar shredder. Claims he doesn't cheat with tricks, pull offs and tapping and actually plays all the notes the right way and fast and clean. Okay he is good but it's a little awkward I think for a guy to be rooting his own horn. 

Playing all the notes with pick and fretting them without tricks indeed. Playing circles around other guitarists but man does it get boring after a few minutes. 

Posted : October 15, 2021 1:35 pm
Share: