The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

ABB Acoustic IRSA release

Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

I am listening to this disc this morning and I know the topic of this was discussed here a long time ago. So I looked it up and I found it for 60 bucks. I paid a lot less than that for it but I suppose it is worth it. I think it was around the time they started doing the acoustic songs in the middle of their sets.

Does anyone else have it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Allman-Brothers-Band-IRSA-International-Rett-Syndrome-Assoc-6-11-92-CD-OOP/333899744502?hash=item4dbdf9c4f6:g:27kAAOSwbdxgNeHq

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

Topic starter Posted : April 4, 2021 9:31 am
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Peach Pro

Good Day @lee and Happy Easter Sunday. I've never heard or seen the title in question. However , I too remember seeing many shows when the ABB would do an acoustic set in the middle.

Moreover, I have a few title in my collection where they play acoustic sets.

For example in 1992 they did an acoustic set at the Radio and Records Convention in L.A. In that same year they also played at the Lone Star Road House in New York which was an acoustic set.

Like to hear the one your refereeing to as well. I'm sure it's really good!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2021 10:31 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@rcgp2020 IRSA and the LA Records Convention are the same show. It was recorded 6/11/92 in LA and released as a fund raiser for the International Rett Syndrome Association ( http://abbdiscography.duaneallman.info/cdirsa.htm ). The "Liz Reed" appears on 2nd Set and "Midnight Rider" appears on Mycology.

I have a bootleg of most of the show, the acoustic "Southbound" is really cool.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2021 11:35 am
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Peach Pro

@porkchopbob, Thank you for your insight into the for mentioned title. I was not aware of that fact. You are a wealth of knowledge and much apricated!

Happy Easter!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2021 1:14 pm
dimplesjbc
(@dimplesjbc)
Extreme Peach

I bought this CD when it was available but forgot about it , busy with work and life , then weeks if not months later i remembered I ordered it and it had not arrived . I phoned IRSA and told them that I had not received my cd and if it was still possible to get one , I was assuming since it had been so long that I would be out of luck , to my surprise the kind woman replied “ no problem I will send one to you right away “ and a few weeks later it arrived . I will give it a spin today . Happy Easter 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2021 2:59 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Here is the bootleg I picked up decades ago. The first seven tracks are from the LA acoustic show. It doesn't include "Midnight Blues" for some reason but tacks on 2 nice Gregg solo acoustic performances.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2021 3:10 pm
Psy
 Psy
(@psy)
Extreme Peach
Posted by: @lee

I am listening to this disc this morning and I know the topic of this was discussed here a long time ago. So I looked it up and I found it for 60 bucks. I paid a lot less than that for it but I suppose it is worth it. I think it was around the time they started doing the acoustic songs in the middle of their sets.

Does anyone else have it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Allman-Brothers-Band-IRSA-International-Rett-Syndrome-Assoc-6-11-92-CD-OOP/333899744502?hash=item4dbdf9c4f6:g:27kAAOSwbdxgNeHq

I bought a copy back when it was first released. I probably wouldn't have known about it but I just happened to be reading one of my local newspapers one day (I think it was The Boston Herald) and there was an ad for the CD inside the paper. I mailed-in a check for the CD and 2 or 3 weeks later it showed up in my mailbox. I can't remember the price but I think it was something like $12 to $15 total with postage included.

It's been one of my all-time favorite ABB releases ever since. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2021 3:59 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
A Peach Supreme

I have it. Ordered it when it was released I think in 1994. Hitting The Note or whatever that early news letter was called quoted Burt Holman saying that only 15,000 copies would ever be pressed so I ordered quickly. 

I was surprised when it arrived. It is basically a sleeve with the CD visible on the front. No band credits either and I later read Butch didn't want to go so Jaimoe didn't either. 

A year or so later I had a chance to chat with Allen Woody at an early Govt Mule show and when he found out I had it he said he was real proud of his bass solo on Elizabeth Reed. 

As Porkchopbob said it was on 2nd Set too. That live album didn't sell well. I was in the audience close to the front on You Don't Love Me and Jessica, the two tracks on 2nd set from a Raleigh show. Gregg introduced Tom Dowd to the Walnut Creek crowd and he stepped out onto the stage from the left wing. I wondered if they were recording. 

Well 2nd Set only sold about 80,000 copies but Jessica from it won a Grammy for best rock instrumental. I think the only Grammy the band ever won. The album is out of print but I noticed all the cuts are on YouTube.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2021 9:07 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

I bought a copy of it when it first came out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2021 7:57 am
peach-head
(@peach-head)
Extreme Peach

Sent for this not long after its release. Haven't played it for a while, thin I'll dig it out and give it a spin. It came in a plain black glossy card cover with a cutaway showing the disc and titles. I ended up making my own cover for it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2021 12:01 pm
harvey liked
DarylM
(@darylm)
Peach Master

Like a lot of folks, I sent away for this disc when it became available - a real

collectors item. Then the ABB pissed me off by putting the `Liz Reed' on the

`2nd Set' CD. They shouldn't have done that - I call that cheating. But, as the

song suggests, what's done is done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2021 2:17 pm
andyvannoy
(@andyvannoy)
Peach Head

if anybody is looking to hear this: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZlG2E9n0Nj17H_VpHKGaZ0oKpezudmgg?usp=sharing

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2021 2:37 am
Randall
(@randall)
Peach Master
IRSAsleeve

Like others, I ordered this when it was first often and have enjoyed it.  Here is a pic of the sleeve.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 9, 2021 5:02 pm
Share: