ABB 69-71 live box set + 71-72 live compilation

31 Posts
17 Users
28 Likes
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member
Topic starter

This was being discussed over in the Steve Hoffman forums and surprised not to see it here in it's own thread.

From the post over there...

John Lynskey, chief archivist and historian for the Allman Brothers Band Museum at The Big House, reports the following:

We are working on a live box set with the original lineup, 1969 to 1971. It will present the best version of every song they played live. It will be a true live compilation of the original band’s best work and I think that people are going to absolutely love it. We are curating it through a lot of listening followed by a lot of discussion, The team that Bert Holman has put together includes the sonic mastery of Bill Levenson, who wants things as a producer to sound a certain way. Then you have the historical input that comes from tour manager and photographer Kirk West, Richard Brent, (Executive Director of the Allman Brothers Band Museum) and me. It’s a real give and take. However, sometimes it’s a moot point because there’s only one version of a song available.

After the original lineup compilation is released, we want to go to a five-man band live compilation. The five-man band period, which was pretty short going from November of 1971 to summer of 1972, delivered shows that were out of this world. This is just prior to keyboardist Chuck Leavell joining the band. Just listening to how Gregg, Dickey and Berry came together to fill the unfillable void created by the loss of Duane Allman is just amazing. Betts stepped up, not just in his slide playing. But the guy who filled the biggest gap was Berry Oakley. He was a monster during that period playing lead and bass lines at the same time. It was amazing to see them all work together in their grief to make some amazing music. It’s a very overlooked period in the band’s history. I’ve immensely enjoyed digging deeply into the five-man band period and think that most people will find it as illuminating as I have.

Full interview, which includes details on the new release by The Brothers from Madison Square Garden, can be found here: The Allman Brothers and the Making of the 50th Anniversary Concert – PS Audio

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/allman-brothers-band-live-box-sets-coming-both-with-duane-and-immediately-after-his-death.1100042/

This topic was modified 3 years ago by WarEagleRK

Posted : July 27, 2021 12:14 am
PeachNutt, matt05 and harvey reacted
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

This is interesting news , though you would have believed that at some point more music would start to be released in various sets, collections and arraignments.

Like other collectors, when it comes to purchasing, my decision will be predicated on the sound quality of the release. 

Seems there is no end in sight for the number of ways that record companies can come up with ways to make a few bucks. I applaud their decision to go ahead and move forward with this plan.

I just hope the end product is worth all the time and money spent. 

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Posted : July 27, 2021 9:52 am
to_taper and WarEagleRK reacted
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member
Topic starter

The Live 69-71 box idea is nice, but I'm guessing it will have mostly already released recordings as I wouldn't expect that there is just some treasure trove of better quality sounding releases that what has already came out from this era. However, there are some songs that were played just a few times that maybe they have something we haven't heard.

The 5 man band stuff is intriguing as hopefully they have some stuff in the vault that we haven't heard as so far. I think Macon 1972 is the only official release from that era. 

I also would like a box set of all of the shows that were used to make the 1976 live album "Wipe The Windows...". 

Posted : July 27, 2021 11:44 am
to_taper and matt05 reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

The "original lineup" releases, I am not sure how much farther they can take this. The set lists are essential the same. I know they improvise and the jamming can be different,but the same songs on these releases are getting kinda of monotonous . I am for more hearing the Chuck and Lamar era material. Dickey and Warren, and Dickey and Jack.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : July 27, 2021 12:05 pm
islalala, to_taper and matt05 reacted
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member
Topic starter

@jszfunk I want a Derek & Herring to go along with those you named. 

Posted : July 27, 2021 12:07 pm
islalala and to_taper reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

They have already released different versions of the March and June Fillmore recordings. It is interesting to hear as they never played them the same way twice and some of the things you hear are cooler than what is on At Fillmore East and Eat A Peach. And it is nice to hear songs that didn't make the albums. 

But as to the songs that do appear on those albums, after a few weeks of playing them, to me, it eventually becomes clear the BEST versions are the ones Tom Dowd chose out of the several versions of each song the best version to be on the album. 

For example THIS VERSION of Trouble No More rocks and swings like a big band of the 1940's. The vocals are perfect. The two guitar solos are perfect and can't be improved. The entire band, both drummers and bass player are all in sync and really hitting the Note. It is flawless and is played with lots of energy. They are hitting the Note!! 

This is the best live version of Trouble No More by the original lineup or ANY lineup!! There isn't a version by the Dickey/Warren or Dickey/Jack or Warren /Derek Trucks lineup that touches this perfection!! If I'm wrong, the let me hear a version that does. 

Here it is. Put on your headphones, turn it up and listen to ALL six of them. Absolutely perfect and never equaled that I've heard. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by robertdee

Posted : July 27, 2021 1:04 pm
matt05 reacted
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member
Topic starter

For anyone who reads this with any persuasion over what gets released, here is RK's top 5 archive releases he'd like to see.

1. Watkins Glen box set with all sets by the Dead, The Band & The ABB + soundchecks and anything else that exists.
2 .Beacon 2009 box set with both Clapton shows on CD and Bluray
3. Jack Pearson era CD/Bluray set
4. Derek & Herring era CD/Bluray set
5. Career spanning "Runnin' Down A Dream" type documentary. (This should have been done a decade ago.)

Honorable mention: A proper release of the final show, not the MunckMusic version.

Posted : July 27, 2021 1:15 pm
matt05 and Bill_Graham reacted
CB
 CB
(@cb)
Estimable Member

I would love to hear some soundboard 95 & 96 shows with Dickey and Warren.  IMHO, this was a great period for ABB live performances.  Yes, setlist didn't very, but the playing was superb.

Posted : July 27, 2021 1:37 pm
to_taper and matt05 reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@cb  You mean like this!!!

Yeah the Allman Brothers were playing real fine in 95 and 96. 

Posted : July 27, 2021 4:38 pm
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

i'm guessing the duane era will be mostly previously released stuff

Posted : July 27, 2021 8:50 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Fully agreed Robertdee on TNMore - in fact all those Fillmore/Peach ones are the top versions (esp Liz Reed) - nothing can top those, but it’ll be cool to see what’s chosen/how widely the sound quality might vary etc - mayb there’ll be some surprises (J Geils SMndy, BstnCmn?😮), or from the 5 man group (BB King sitin? 🌎)

after EAP, a strong 2nd for TNMore for me is 2009 Meadowbrook, Greatness🎶🎵🎸

but yeah, as was said, guessing most fans already have what will be on this box set - those that don’t, now they do🪐ABB forever

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : July 27, 2021 10:02 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@stephen Well the people doing the live original band box set may come up with some quality versions of the songs that are not on Fillmore or Peach. Have to wait and see. There is a version of One Way Out that seems to be hotter than the version on Eat A Peach on one of the live archive releases of a 1971 show but the recording quality isn't as good as Peach. 

Here is a fantastic Blue Sky live from 1971. 

Especially Dickey's solo which is second. Nobody plays just like Dickey. His phrasing, tone, bends and playing so melodic, his melody, is all his own. Dickey has a very intense solo here. Warren, Jack, Derek etc just don't play Blue Sky like this. Duane has a nice solo too. 

Posted : July 28, 2021 10:02 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Many a stellar Duane/BO version of OWOut, none top EAP in my book (& never could🤙) - all personal taste, but DB&GS 8/7/02 w/guest vocalist Devon Allman, Burn It Down - Devon’s vocal performance has to be heard, also real good organ/sax/gtrs solos

The new box set will rock, always enjoy John Lyenski’s liner notes too - (Les Brers 1/25/72 Atlanta???hint?nah😮😮🎸

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : July 28, 2021 12:55 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yep that Stonybrook gig was special & more - in tandem w/the shorter Warehouse version 3 days earlier the boys cover a wide range of what they would’ve done onstage w/this one (BSky) - Treasures

Mayb they’re considering for the box set, the 2/28/71 Brewster Fieldhouse version of Dreams - has the same blissful properties as Stonybrook, only shorter

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : July 28, 2021 1:28 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Personally I'll be stunned if the first lineup box has anything included that either hasn't already been released or other material that was in trading circles for years. 

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : July 30, 2021 11:07 am
salcapitano and matt05 reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@oldcoot I think Gregg responded to someone's question about when are they going to release ALL of the recordings of the original lineup, especially for people who never experienced it's power and creativity. And Gregg said " Everything has been released that is fit to be released. We did hundreds of shows but not many were recorded with decent equipment." Gregg said he was opposed to releasing sub par recordings that in some cases was nothing more than a battery operated reel to reel portable machine half way back in the audience with the vocals barely decernable. 

I too can't imagine a better version of One Way Out or Trouble No More or Elizabeth Reed than the ones already on the albums they put out in 1971 and 72 and when the Atlanta Pop Festival was released on two CD's some years ago. 

The playing on these songs is perfect and can't be improved. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed on At Fillmore East is the gold standard and no recording by any lineup equals it. 

There is one which Butch always said was the worst version they ever did. That is Mountain Jam on Eat A Peach. Butch said they only put it on Eat A Peach because Duane is on it and it's the ONLY recording of it they had that was a high quality recording with Tom Dowd in the truck. Butch said EVERY time the original band played it was better than the version on Eat A Peach. But none of the other versions are high quality recordings. 

Personally I think the Eat A Peach version is excellent. It's not as long as other versions but the musicianship is extremely good from all six guys. 

Maybe the box would work for someone who wanting to have several hours of all live versions. 

What is your impression on Mountain Jam on Eat A Peach? 

And the Duane Allman solo on Liz Reed on Fillmore East is the most powerful and exciting solo ANY guitar player ever in the ABB ever did. Can we find one by Dickey, Jack, Warren or Derek that tops this???

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : July 30, 2021 3:45 pm
matt05 reacted
bird72
(@bird72)
Honorable Member

If you milk the cow too much, you might end up with skim milk.  

Posted : July 30, 2021 3:52 pm
matt05 reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Allman Brothers smoking hot in July 1971 in St. Paul, Minnesota. Had not heard this show before. 

But it can't be on a live box set. Audience recording. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : August 2, 2021 3:38 pm
rusinurbe
(@rusinurbe)

Sounds like a great idea hope this gets a reasonable world wide release as shipping cost from the US are now stupidly High that's before the government adds a further 20% in tax at imoort

Posted : August 7, 2021 6:20 am
PeachNutt
(@peachnutt)
Reputable Member

I like this idea. Many years ago I created my own list of an imaginary concert of the original Duane era ABB.  Figures, but I think I threw the list out this year.

Posted : August 7, 2021 5:01 pm
50split
(@50split)
Estimable Member

bump...

back in 97 when i was at the big house kirk told me about a 69-71 live box set. 25 years later and nothing.

any update on this?

Posted : March 15, 2022 11:10 pm
aiq
 aiq
(@aiq)
Reputable Member

Five man sounds very interesting.

Posted : March 16, 2022 11:27 am
harvey and salcapitano reacted
PaulColetti
(@paulcoletti)
Trusted Member

I would like to see live stuff from Enlightened Rogues '79, and the 1999 tour with Dickey and Derek included.

Robertdee, Duane's Liz Reed solo is tops....I've also always loved Dickey's Liz Reed solo from the '73 Winterland show. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by PaulColetti

Posted : March 16, 2022 2:11 pm
robertdee reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@paulcoletti  There is a 1973 Madison Square Garden show where Dickey's Liz Reed solo to me is better than Winterland. The entire show is on YouTube and it's an especially hot show for Dickey. But it's just fair sound quality. Must be an audience recording. 

Duane's Whipping Post solo is real good too. Of all the great guitarist to play for the Allman Brothers, none of them could step on the gas like Duane could. He was a high octane player. 

Posted : March 16, 2022 5:04 pm
PaulColetti
(@paulcoletti)
Trusted Member

Thanks Robert

Posted : March 16, 2022 8:39 pm
thing
(@thing)

any new news??????????

Posted : September 15, 2023 10:48 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yes & it’s all good news😁it’s all out there - everything has been released, esp the FWest box set - that has everything the 1969-71 box set would’ve had - along w/the other releases, Syria Mosque, 6/27/71 Fillmore closing, Down in Texas, fall 1973 Winterland, the earlier Feb 1972 Macon archive release…..

…..& the many shows in collections of fans who know that what they’re hearing can’t be/never was heard anywhere else🍄✌️

as far as what Could be released from later eras, echo the mention of the last wknd, Oct 28-29, 2014 Beacon, perhaps to go along w/a re-release of The Final Note - also The Brothers 2020 MSG show -

finally a choice 1997-98 official-release comp of Dickey Jack & Oteil, a great era of this band🎼🎶they all were

This post was modified 7 months ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : September 16, 2023 6:34 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

I'd be pleasantly surprised if there is any new material in a 69-71 box.

Agree that EAP was the best Trouble No More. Later versions of the band cut out a verse  - I'll tell everybody/In my neighborhood/You're a kind little woman/But you don't do me no good... That verse had my favorite Duane call/response slide lick (following the last 2 lines to be exact).

Mountain Jam. My personal favorite is Love Valley, followed by EAP. The last 10 minutes or so, with the shuffle, the lullaby - best music ever recorded. For me, the Ludlow Garage and the bonus version on Bear's Sonic Journal are very good, but not as good as the others. 

This post was modified 7 months ago by stormyrider

Posted : September 18, 2023 12:51 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Have they released all the releasable material from the archive?

Kirk West mentioned in a Hittin the Note interview years ago that they found a bunch of Duane era tapes in former band associates closets and also tapes from 1972-1975.

Butch Trucks (RIP) stated in an old Rolling Stone interview celebrating the A&R Studious release that the band had all the Duane Era  New Orleans Wharehouse concert tapes that he wanted released.

So I wonder what the band really still has left in the archives

Posted : September 18, 2023 8:09 pm
matt05 reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yes Michael Lehman, Gregg’s manager/friend, said after Gregg’s passing that there was quite a bit of his solo material still around they planned to release, along w/an archive release from the Jack P era - ye old best-laid plans I guess….

but yes, the better way to put it would have been ‘everything That They Plan To Release, has been released….’

Posted : September 19, 2023 7:26 am
matt05 reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: